Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 11:47 AM

397 posts, read 287,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I served in the Navy from '74 to '78 during the Ford & Carter administrations (Seabee here) and still have a set of utility greens -including the hat- with my crow (E-4) and they still fit! Somewhere I have the hat block to hold it for a good spray of starch. Our dress blues at the time were the ugly "Bus Driver" blue suits. I burned mine the day I got out. I hated that suit.
That uniform sucked, didn't it? (I'm also Navy 74-78). I bought the old style jumper as soon as I got out of boot camp. Never wore the new one again.

I still have a few items laying around here and there, and I still have the white towel I got in boot camp, with my name stenciled on it. I think I last used it to wash my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 12:57 PM

17,720 posts, read 17,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
That uniform sucked, didn't it? (I'm also Navy 74-78). I bought the old style jumper as soon as I got out of boot camp. Never wore the new one again.

I still have a few items laying around here and there, and I still have the white towel I got in boot camp, with my name stenciled on it. I think I last used it to wash my car.
My dad was 64-67 before being blinded in one eye on the flight deck. Said several guys would take their 13 button dress blues plants to hav the buttons sewn on the outside and snaps hidden under the flaps. In the 90s some would have Velcro sewn into the flaps.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:52 PM

8,187 posts, read 12,935,355 times
After I got out I left my uniforms at my Mom's. She worked at the Federal building and there was a recruiting station there. She took all my uniforms to the Marine recruiting office and she told me they took them. I don't know if they really appreciated it; they probably did it to humor her.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:58 PM

6,372 posts, read 7,860,572 times
Still have my original Peacoat, but it's a pretty tight fit these days. Also an original Dixie Cup hat, which also doesn't fit. And, of course my original medals and ribbons. Those are eventually going into a shadow box.

Have new uniforms, courtesy of my affiliation with the Sea Cadet program. Only issue is that adult volunteers in the Sea Cadets wear officer uniforms. We still get to wear our medals and ribbons. Sadly, I'm the only one at the Reserve Center with Vietnam ribbons. Nobody else on base is old enough to have earned those. Feels strange.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-23-2024, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 520 times
I didn't have any Army, Navy, or boot camp uniform. Instead, I got family uniform shirts.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:12 PM

792 posts, read 533,121 times
I ETS'ed from the army in 1971 with four field jackets, two pair of jungle boots, and two sets of camo fatigues, and all the unit ribbons and brass that go on a Class A uniform. I wear my Vietnam Service Ribbon and my MOS designation on my motorcycle jacket, and a few other items that are dear to me. I gave three of the field jackets away to family members, and don't know what happened to the rest of it. I still have a box full of pictures and papers, tho. I have a pic of my DD214 in my phone to get veteran discounts, which are pretty common here in Texas.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:14 PM

28,750 posts, read 19,001,566 times
I retired in 2000. I still have a serviceable set of service blues, mess dress, and BDUs. I've worn them all numerous times by regulation in the years since representing my Air Force service at various functions.

I wear my BDU field jacket (with necessary patches removed) as a cold weather work jacket. I still have my issue gray wool scarf that I wear in cold weather. I got it in 1974, making it the oldest item of clothing in my closet.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:53 AM

224 posts, read 208,556 times
I have my US Army service dress uniform from 1970. After 54 years I think it sill kind of fits. Only problem cannot remember where it is stored. I think my sister has it somewhere. Never put on in public after my honorable discharge.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:04 PM

5,798 posts, read 11,500,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
I have my US Army service dress uniform from 1970. After 54 years I think it sill kind of fits. Only problem cannot remember where it is stored. I think my sister has it somewhere. Never put on in public after my honorable discharge.
Mine is hanging in the closet right near the front door. The jacket sort of fits, a little snug in the shoulders. The pants need about 1" extra in the waist to fit OK. I weigh only a few pounds more than what I did when discharged at age 23 in 1978. Never worn it outside since 1978.

Yesterday I saw a couple who live in my apartment complex, both retired Army officers. They know that I am former Army enlisted. It was cold and windy out and I was just getting to the parking lot after walking a few blocks from the grocery store with my knapsack, wearing heavy jacket, watch cap and gloves. The guy said to me "you could have used some of your TA-50 today!" which gave me a laugh.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM

1,847 posts, read 1,463,817 times
Still have my class A and mess dress, not that I could fit into them. Also have my BDU cap and miscellaneous field gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues