Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 07:51 AM

204 posts, read 160,203 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just a general question because I feel weird asking my son in law. He is a Marine and has a year left on a 5 (really 8)year contract. His MOS was Security Forces in a base in Georgia, they decided to relocate him to 29 Palms where he will have a different job, he is not even sure what that job will be! He is hoping to get into CID, but know how competitive it is and will see once he and my daughter get there, how to go through that process. My question is: if he becomes a CID agent, will he have to re enlist because they put him through all the training etc? Or can he get out with no issues? He is not happy about his new station, it is in the middle of the desert, but they will make the best of it. Also, my daughter is getting discouraged because she is just graduating college here with BA in criminal justice and there is nothing out there for her as far as jobs(most people want experience of course), so that is troubling too. Just a little frustrated, but Military life is different than anything else !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 08:00 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times
His obligation extends only to his enlistment period. Enlistment is voluntary. Here's a cut an paste from a military forum.

CID deployments these days come in one of three forms.

Force protection/forward investigations stuff. This is in support of whatever unit needs it, usually related to a large exercise. These vary wildly in length depending on mission, but are usually no more than 90 days.

MEUs. This involves running a shipboard forensics lab, and maybe some opportunity to go with the recon folks on some raids to recover certain items, depending on whether or not this was planned/ trained during the workup. These are usually 6 months the away.

SOC supporting. This is the "high speed" one, where you deploy within the SOCOM bubble (sometimes MARSOC, sometimes JSOC, ODA etc.) to staff/manage a forensics lab somewhere around the world. This may also include going out with/just behind the teams of whatever agency in order to capture valuable info (phones, computers, DNA, fingerprints, weapons/components, maps etc.) which you will then take back to your lab for further exploitation. These are usually 6 months away.

These deployments only come from our 3 deployable units, so they are not a surprise to anyone. The way it looks now is we have enough volunteers to staff the deployable units, so nobody is being "forced" to deploy who doesn't want to. This mission is likely to expand over the next couple of years, so more and more people will be needed (which is good for you, as it means we need to recruit more).

Day to day varies by billet and by geographic assignment. If you look into mu comment history on this thread I wrote a detailed description of billets we staff as it pertains to duties/day to day just a couple of days ago. It should answer your question more completely.

Overall, the workload is reasonable, the autonomy is unheard of (USMC wise), the mission is real and impactful, the training is valuable and builds your resume. 100% recommend shooting for a lat move.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
His obligation extends only to his enlistment period. Enlistment is voluntary. Here's a cut an paste from a military forum.

CID deployments these days come in one of three forms.

Force protection/forward investigations stuff. This is in support of whatever unit needs it, usually related to a large exercise. These vary wildly in length depending on mission, but are usually no more than 90 days.

MEUs. This involves running a shipboard forensics lab, and maybe some opportunity to go with the recon folks on some raids to recover certain items, depending on whether or not this was planned/ trained during the workup. These are usually 6 months the away.

SOC supporting. This is the "high speed" one, where you deploy within the SOCOM bubble (sometimes MARSOC, sometimes JSOC, ODA etc.) to staff/manage a forensics lab somewhere around the world. This may also include going out with/just behind the teams of whatever agency in order to capture valuable info (phones, computers, DNA, fingerprints, weapons/components, maps etc.) which you will then take back to your lab for further exploitation. These are usually 6 months away.

These deployments only come from our 3 deployable units, so they are not a surprise to anyone. The way it looks now is we have enough volunteers to staff the deployable units, so nobody is being "forced" to deploy who doesn't want to. This mission is likely to expand over the next couple of years, so more and more people will be needed (which is good for you, as it means we need to recruit more).

Day to day varies by billet and by geographic assignment. If you look into mu comment history on this thread I wrote a detailed description of billets we staff as it pertains to duties/day to day just a couple of days ago. It should answer your question more completely.

Overall, the workload is reasonable, the autonomy is unheard of (USMC wise), the mission is real and impactful, the training is valuable and builds your resume. 100% recommend shooting for a lat move.
Ok good to know, we are very excited for him, but have heard it is tough to get a job . In a way, we are hoping he does not re enlist as he told us when he asked for our blessing to marry our daughter, that if he did not make MARSOC(he was cut within the first week) that he would not re enlist and here we are with him thinking of re enlisting again and trying for CID. I am just kinda clueless how this all works...thanks!

Old 04-10-2024, 12:08 PM

426 posts, read 959,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
Hi all,

Just a general question because I feel weird asking my son in law. He is a Marine and has a year left on a 5 (really 8)year contract. His MOS was Security Forces in a base in Georgia, they decided to relocate him to 29 Palms where he will have a different job, he is not even sure what that job will be! He is hoping to get into CID, but know how competitive it is and will see once he and my daughter get there, how to go through that process. My question is: if he becomes a CID agent, will he have to re enlist because they put him through all the training etc? Or can he get out with no issues?

When I was in the AF you couldn't crosstrain into another AFSC without committing to a minimum of 3 more years of service. I believe some had a longer requirement based on length of tech school, specialized nature of the AFSC, etc. There were options to transition into the ANG or AFRC, but those came with increased length of service requirements as I recall.

I doubt the Corps will put him through training to become a CID agent with only a year left on his contract, especially since a good part of that year will probably be taken up by training.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:52 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
How does he know he will have a different job? Is it a job that is still within his career field? Example, an Army MP could be assigned to a unit that had a Discipline, Law and Order function, or you could be stuck on a guard tower at a nuke site. They are two different jobs, but they are both military police jobs. In the Army, no one just shows up somewhere and gets sent to CID school. There is a process that he would be an active part of. I imagine the USMC is the same.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:56 AM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
Quote:
... Also, my daughter is getting discouraged because she is just graduating college here with BA in criminal justice and there is nothing out there for her as far as jobs(most people want experience of course), so that is troubling too. Just a little frustrated, but Military life is different than anything else !
The key is to start positive and motivated.

She has no idea of what opportunities await her around the next corner.

Everywhere has some local Law Enforcement department. everywhere has a regional 911 dispatch office.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,439,910 times
Here are the USMC CID requirements:

https://www.lawenforcement.marines.mil/CID/

Note this part:
Quote:
Have sufficient obligated service to serve 48 months after graduating the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division, Special Agent Course (CIDSAC), U.S. Army Military Police School (USAMPS).
So, yes, if he wants to be in USMC CID, he'll likely have to re-enlist.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How does he know he will have a different job? Is it a job that is still within his career field? Example, an Army MP could be assigned to a unit that had a Discipline, Law and Order function, or you could be stuck on a guard tower at a nuke site. They are two different jobs, but they are both military police jobs. In the Army, no one just shows up somewhere and gets sent to CID school. There is a process that he would be an active part of. I imagine the USMC is the same.
He was security forces for the nuke subs at his current base and the base he is going to does not have water around it for 200 miles so he will not be security forces anymore he says.... and he has not been informed of his new job or where to report to yet, seems stupid to relocate him when he only has a year, but who knows?

Old 04-18-2024, 02:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,439,910 times
remirosie123, please don't give yourself a headache by trying to apply logic to military assignments. The "logic" is based upon a broken Macintosh II CPU hooked up to a Wang word processor that hasn't been plugged in since 1986. The backup assignments mode is a bunch of cards with named on them. Cards are tossed down a staircase with units written on the steps.

That's how assignments happen...

Old 04-18-2024, 04:34 PM

458 posts, read 287,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Quote:
He was security forces for the nuke subs at his current base and the base he is going to does not have water around it for 200 miles so he will not be security forces anymore he says.... and he has not been informed of his new job or where to report to yet, seems stupid to relocate him when he only has a year, but who knows?
I thought Joe summed it up perfectly, but apparently, the message didn't get through. I don't know anything about the Marines, but I suspect that if he used to be part of the security force that guards the subs, if there are no subs at his new duty assignment, then perhaps he will be part of the security force that guards the vehicles at the motorpool, or to guard the supply depot, or guard the prisoners in the overnight lockup, or whatever. They all fall under the "security forces" umbrella. He may even end up sitting at a desk all day doing paperwork, logging the security of the items mentioned above. It may be a change in DUTIES that he isn't used to but it's still the same JOB.

ARMY! Because even Marines need heroes.

Last edited by 44echo; 04-18-2024 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues