Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2024, 08:09 PM
 
17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Reputation: 25655

Advertisements

While in the Navy in the 90s, when someone had less than a year left on the ship or in the Navy they were considered to be “short time” and we had some creative “short time” humor, he count down included days left and a pop tart. The pop tart because they would t stick around long enough to eat a whole breakfast. We’d ask “how short are you” and they came up with some creative ways of saying how short they were. “I’m so short I have to climb a ladder to reach the toilet” or “I’m so short I can’t see over your boots”.

Did other branches do this or something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2024, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
445 posts, read 281,087 times
Reputation: 1251
The countdown I heard in the army was "42 days and a wake up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2024, 06:05 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Reputation: 17722
Story from a friend who was in the AF in the late 60s-- He was taught Russian and then stationed in W Berlin, his small group monitoring radio broadcasts from The East. Their office over looked The Wall and they would also use binoculars to watch the wall and the east side...

One day they saw a guy in Russian uniform scale a fairly tall church steeple and unfurl a bed sheet with a crudely written slogan painted on it...They couldn't could quite decipher the message. It didn't seem to make any sense in literal Russian...After couple days, they finally figured it out-- it was an idiom in Russian translating to "I'm short!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2024, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
445 posts, read 281,087 times
Reputation: 1251
Another common thing was to see a pair of boots hanging from the power lines. They'd tie the boots together with the laces and throw them up in the air to wrap around the wires. I've never seen anyone actually throw them up there, but I've seen many pairs of boots hanging from the wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2024, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Dayton OH
5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Reputation: 13539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Another common thing was to see a pair of boots hanging from the power lines. They'd tie the boots together with the laces and throw them up in the air to wrap around the wires. I've never seen anyone actually throw them up there, but I've seen many pairs of boots hanging from the wires.
There was a large oak tree outside the barracks of HQ company, 54th Engineer Battalion in Wildflecken, Germany where I spent almost 4 years (1974-1978). It was adorned with dozens of pair of combat boots that were tossed up by short timers, typically on their last day before heading down to Frankfurt / Rhein-Main AFB and taking the flight to McGuire AFB / Fort Dix NJ for ETS discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2024, 02:51 PM
 
Location: The South
7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Reputation: 12997
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
While in the Navy in the 90s, when someone had less than a year left on the ship or in the Navy they were considered to be “short time” and we had some creative “short time” humor, he count down included days left and a pop tart. The pop tart because they would t stick around long enough to eat a whole breakfast. We’d ask “how short are you” and they came up with some creative ways of saying how short they were. “I’m so short I have to climb a ladder to reach the toilet” or “I’m so short I can’t see over your boots”.

Did other branches do this or something similar?
During my time in the Army, while serving in Korea in 57-58, we had the acronym F.I.G.M.O. when you got down to less than a month.
Leaving Korea also entailed a "Short Arm Inspection".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2024, 11:27 AM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Reputation: 5163
We used to say you ain't short til you eat here and poop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2024, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Metro Seattle Area - Born and Raised
4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Reputation: 8648
U.S. Army - Armor, 1980 to 2010

Around 1984, my old Platoon Sergeant had the best response for Short Timers who were only PCS-ing to a new unit back in the States… “All you’re doing is changing @zzholes and motor pools, so shut the F-up.”

I still laugh whenever I think about this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2024, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We used to say you ain't short til you eat here and poop there.
Heard that one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top