Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,820 times

Advertisements

I was a Storekeeper aboard a Carrier & Destroyer in the early 70's. One of my jobs were to restore Storerooms in deplorable condition. To start we had to remove all of the contents even chemicals from one gallon jug to a 55 gal, drum. Some were dry and other wet. About 10% of the containers had leaked due to improperly secured, and we had no idea what was in them. To make a long story short, we had to prepare the surfaces and even re-wrap steam lines if they were deteriorating. Nonetheless we were constantly in a cloud of red lead and grey leaded paint dust without the use of any respirator, suit, ventilation, etc. But, we were afforded goggles (WOW!) Anyway, I have been diagnosed with "Cluster Headaches" and if you don't know what they are, you don't want them. They make Migraines a walk in the park ?? This started about 2008 with me. I submitted a claim with a lot of internet documentation as to what affects constant red lead paint inhalation has on the body, and headaches are one of them. A MD. that is farmed out by the VA telephonically interviewed me for twenty minutes, and concurred with me. Only to have a denial letter sent to me by the VA about a month later. Anyone out there can elaborate or give me some additional advice.
Thanks, Chris K Mash752@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:31 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Have been going through the process of obtaining a VA disability rating for about a half a year now. Some issues have been settled and I do have a disability rating. Other issues are still in process. My best advice for you is to visit a VA Advocate. Not sure exactly who they work for, but they seem to really know the system inside and out. There are also state Veteran Advocates, but on the first day I went, their office was closed, so I went to the federal advocate across town.

They have really helped me with paperwork and submission of documentation. They can also help with appeals and supplemental claims. You are going to need some "official" documentation. Proof of what you did and when you did it. Internet articles are worthless, (as far as the VA is concerned). Try to obtain your service record/jacket. There might be something in there that will help support your claim. Ships Logs helped me with my claim, but they can be difficult to get, depending on how old they are. I also served in the early 70s, and most of the logs are available. Does your ship have an association? Facebook or otherwise. You may get some help there. Good luck.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues