Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:32 AM

24,988 posts, read 9,730,673 times

Advertisements

Mr. US soldier is married with a kid and was cheating on his wife.

Yikes.
Quote:
The wife of Gordon Black, the American soldier detained on theft charges in Russia, said he traveled there because he was having an affair and was not involved in "geopolitical intrigue."

Megan Black is in the process of divorcing her husband and called on Russian authorities through a statement from her attorney, Brett Pritchard, to release him to provide comfort to their 6-year-old daughter.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...end-rcna151612
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 01:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 3,578,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Mr. US soldier is married with a kid and was cheating on his wife.

Yikes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...end-rcna151612
Yes ,he’s married and has a kid. But it’s also being reported that they’ve been separated a long time and going through a divorce.

Not trying to defend the guy too much, though, as I firmly believe he will be court martialed, and he absolutely deserves to be. He entered a foreign country without permission. If he even had leave paperwork, it certainly didn’t say Vladivostok on it. Also, I doubt he got the threat briefings prior to departure, nor did he do the mandated APACS.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:19 AM

954 posts, read 1,273,855 times
Well no sympathy from me. I guess he met this russian woman while in South Korea. Not sure what he exactly did in his job, but he might be stupid enough to spill secrets, or this is all a cover, if he was pro russian.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:20 PM

67 posts, read 58,833 times
Hmmm... I don't see how they behave any differently from their regular MO for similar cases: criminal code, article 158, part 2, up to 5 years. That's it.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:42 AM

The US troop has pled guilty.

Quote:
Gordon Black, a U.S. serviceman who was detained this month during an unauthorized visit to Vladivostok, Russia, has "admitted guilt" to theft charges, Russia's state-run media reported on Thursday.

"We confirm. He is cooperating [with the investigation]; he admitted [guilt]," a representative of the regional interior ministry of Primorsky Krai, a federal subject of Russia, told news agency RIA Novosti.
https://www.newsweek.com/us-soldier-...-black-1901300

Old 05-17-2024, 11:52 AM

20,032 posts, read 23,000,370 times
I'm chalking this one up to 'play stupid games win stupid prizes'.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:06 AM

I doubt very seriously he is guilty of a Russian crime. But I’m withholding judgment until he gets back on US soil and explains what really happened.

The key for him right now is to say and do whatever the Russians want that will get him home to CONUS as soon as possible. If that means a guilty plea, so be it.

Also, the Russians knew exactly who he was, a US soldier, prior to granting him a visa in Seoul.
That doesn’t strike anyone on this thread as too much of a coincidence?

As far as his sneaking into Russia against command directives, he should get a court martial for that.

Separation from the Army, either a Summary Court Martial or Special Court Martial.

I’m not a JAG, but I don’t think this rises to the level of a General Court Martial.

Old 06-19-2024, 05:27 AM

He’s been sentenced

Quote:
A Russian court has sentenced a US soldier to three years and nine months in jail on charges of theft and threatening to kill his girlfriend, state news agencies reported.

Staff Sgt Gordon Black was sentenced by a court in Vladivostok in Russia's far east and will serve his time in a penal colony.

Sgt Black, who was arrested in May, had pleaded not guilty to the murder threat charges but admitted he was "partially" guilty of stealing 10,000 roubles ($116; £89) from her.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd11v674rd5o

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I doubt very seriously he is guilty of a Russian crime.
And you would be wrong. He already admitted it and has been sentenced.

Next you’ll claim Britney Griner was not guilty, which she was. And the only reason she’s free now is because Brandon traded her for an infamous Russian arms dealer.

I don’t think there’s another infamous Russian arms dealer to make that trade.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-19-2024 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-19-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
He’s been sentenced

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd11v674rd5o

And you would be wrong. He already admitted it and has been sentenced.

Next you’ll claim Britney Griner was not guilty, which she was. And the only reason she’s free now is because Brandon traded her for an infamous Russian arms dealer.

I don’t think there’s another infamous Russian arms dealer to make that trade.
1). If you believe an E-6 would need to steal $116 dollars, I guess that’s your prerogative. I find it ridiculous. I used to be an E-6 (retired as an E-7) and I always had plenty of money. I suspect that he was advised by his Russian handlers to admit something in hopes that he would be given a lenient sentence. Also, they say he threatened to kill her? I don’t buy that, either. Whatever was said between them, there certainly is no record of that. It’s just a “he said she said” scenario. No way to really prove it.

2) As far as Griner, that’s not a stretch at all to think she uses drugs. She looks like a drug user, and marijuana is legal in Arizona.

But I do want to close with this. I have zero sympathy for this guy. He lied to his chain of command in order to go to Vladivostok, and he deserves whatever happens to him. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think the Russians set him up on false charges, because I’m 100% convinced that they did.

Old 06-19-2024, 04:23 PM

7,848 posts, read 6,485,724 times
WHY on earth would anyone go to Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues