Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM

383 posts, read 641,248 times

Advertisements

I have a story. We had two guys in our platoon who were know as the "Odor Eaters". Anytime a DI passed gas these guys would have to run up behind them and breath in deep through their nose and out through their mouths until the offending smell was gone. That's just the tip of the iceberg of the things they did. The majority of the things they did were for a reason. That one was just the DI's way of having fun.

MCRD San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM

14 posts, read 75,271 times
USN RTC Orlando 1978 TU 121 HTC Colonna and ICC Wilson. Man, so many memories. Got to Orlando Feb. 22. Coldest night of the year; I thought, "This is FL?" Spent 5 days in RIF waiting for our whole company to get there. Was really pissed when we found out those first 5 days didn't count towards our 8 weeks. The first 2 weeks were really rough up until stand tall inspection, where all staff members from the whole division came to our compartment and ripped into us. Surprisingly, I passed (only about 10 out of 84 did). At that point I realized what it was they wanted from us (in a nutshell, do as you're told). After that week, it was pretty much a breeze. Spent 2 meals in the scullery during work week, then had a wisdom tooth cut out, and after 2 days of light duty, went to the admin building to do clean-up; nothing really hard. While the galley guys were doing days from 0330 til 2200, we were doing 0800-1700. Won the torch flag sports weekend. Before we knew it, 8 weeks were over. Not really too bad memories. Saw Colonna 2 years later in the Exchange and he was really a cool guy.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its alo0ng time ago but fond memories .not in 68. I do remmeber one guy messing up;forget how;and that weekend we had a dogtag party. You take your dog tags and scrape the wax off the floor ;then use rags to Simoniz paste wax it. Takes two days.Also remmeber the the ghost squad for those that drank alttile too much on first weekend leave. Bascially they take you T-shirt pull it up over your head;cut-out two holes for eyes and then take your helmet liner away and place your steel pot on your head. All day anywhere you go you travel like this including running.Luckily I don't drink ;so missed iot ;but ehse guys had sore heads for days afterward.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 AM

123 posts, read 271,644 times
I remember going to boot camp, was May 18th, 2004. Overall I had a pretty good experience because I could easily "shut up and do as I was told".
I was the guide-on for my flight and in the beginning I had a bit of a hard time getting the tip off of my guide-on in a hurry so I could put it away for entering the chowhall. I dropped it three times within 4 days. This one TI saw it all three times and he ripped me a new one for not having any respect for my belongings and I had to do push-ups until all members of my filght were in the chowhall. Needless to say I never dropped it again, lol :-)
Also, I got yelled at for not saluting an officer. I was instructing the two alternate guide-on bearers on our parade routine when I glanced to my left and saw an officer, but I wasn't really paying attention to rank so I turned back to the two guide-on bearers and promptly had three TI's in my face about not respecting ranks etc. Lol wasn't on purpose, I just got caught up in focusing on my instructions.
Like I said however, I look upon my Boot Camp Time very fondly and if I had a chance I think I would go back for a few weeks. Maybe I'll apply for a TI tour....

Last edited by germanrose20; 04-06-2009 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: darn grammar :-)

Old 04-10-2009, 05:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
One story I remember was when we were going on a road march at night. We were going in to columns, one on each side of the road. I still remember a drill sergeant in the middle of the road a little ahead of us. Anytime somebody drop the weapon, you had to drop and do some push ups.
Well, somebody behind dropped his rifle as we were marching. A split second passed and the drill sergeant just said "Drop down (Soldier's name) and give me 20" How in the world did the drill sergeant know who dropped the weapon without looking back right after it happened and in the darkenss?! That was scary.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
GMCS Selig. Company 916.

Yep. I remember.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 32,343 times
Default Musicman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnusnret View Post
musicman53 i was also in d-6-2 (1970-1971) and am looking for a graduation book. Have you had any luck? If i do, i'll post the information. I remember sfc whitehead well as well as ssg gunter (?). Can't remember the east european corporal's name though.
where ya from??

Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 32,343 times
I am from harrisburg pa..

Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Our assistant DI was a total butt. He was a Bosen's Mate 2, suspect he had been busted a time or two, or was really as dumb as we thought. I was laying in my rack about 2 AM on the second floor and saw him coming back knee walking drunk from the Acey-Deuecy club when our fearless 'closeline watch' challenged him. He cussed, failed to identify himself and kept coming. Closeline watch was a farm boy that wasn't bothered by much. He challenged the DI again, and when he kept coming, he took the dummy M1 and flattened him.

Saw the DI a couple of days later when he apparently came back to get his stuff, and he had a big bandage on the side of his head. Next week we had a new assistant DI.

Next morning, the DI, a huge 6'7" Chief told us at muster that our leggings were safe as the closeline watch had done his duty during the night.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 09-17-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Yes I remember boot camp. No I have no fond memories of it. And since I was assigned to be a Combat Corpsman, many of whom were assigned to Marine units during Vietnam, I had to go next door to the MCRD for additional training after I finished my Navy boot camp. But to be fair, I was one fit,strong and well trained hillbilly when I got out of both camps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues