Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Beekeeper - You ain't the only one that was disrespected. I must admit that nobody spat on me probably because they looked closely and saw that I would respond in a very improper manner. In those days I could back up my anger and that was really scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
During the 60's, the 70's, the 80's the Amercian population did blame the servicemembers for the situation that had developed in VN.

Calling servicemembers dis-tasteful names, spitting on them, and generally treating them poorly in public was common place in America.

I served from 1976 until 2001, I saw it.
I know this is something that strikes you deeply, as it does the packernut, because being directly involved in a matter will do that to a person...it's the human element in them. but all i am doing is trying to have a logical conversation while respecting the troops and not the administration of today.

i don't think those few people, in comparison to those people who did not spit on the soliders, blamed the soldiers for the situation that developed. I think they despised the soldiers for conducting soldier duties for a cause they did not, and most did not, believe in.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Beekeeper - You ain't the only one that was disrespected. I must admit that nobody spat on me probably because they looked closely and saw that I would respond in a very improper manner. In those days I could back up my anger and that was really scary.
I know.

I enlisted after VN, however we were drawn into the general cloud of hatred that the US public had for the military, right up until Desert storm #1.

Though even during DS#1, there was a lot of public displays calling US servicemembers yellow cowards.

What I saw and experienced was very tame as compared to those who served before me.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I know this is something that strikes you deeply, as it does the packernut, because being directly involved in a matter will do that to a person...it's the human element in them.
I can see that.

If you were not treated poorly yourself, then looking back you might think:
"Well, gee we really did not treat US servicemembers all that badly, I mean we did not Lynch any"

Whereas folks who were called names, refused service in restaurants, or who were hassled by cops and spent time in county lock-ups, might feel differently as they were more personally involved.

Quote:
... i don't think those few people, in comparison to those people who did not spit on the soliders, blamed the soldiers for the situation that developed. I think they despised the soldiers for conducting soldier duties for a cause they did not, and most did not, believe in.
Could be.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
It is sickening that people treated our soldiers in that manner...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
I am WAY to young (24) to have been in Vietnam or gown through that. I am passionate about being in the military because it is one of the finest brotherhoods there is. I remember hearing some where I have thousands of brothers who would die for me and dont know most of their names. In what other job could find such loyalty to each other? It is an honor every time I put on the uniform

Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I am WAY to young (24) to have been in Vietnam or gown through that. I am passionate about being in the military because it is one of the finest brotherhoods there is. I remember hearing some where I have thousands of brothers who would die for me and dont know most of their names. In what other job could find such loyalty to each other? It is an honor every time I put on the uniform
Ok, Im not going to get into the who was right and who was wrong debate. I have my own opinions on that, but thats for another forum. His question was a simple one. What questions should I ask if I am thinking about joining the United States Military?

I have no doubt that we have people from both sides of the fence here. Some for, or some against. My humble opinion is merely this: Lets give the guy the necessary information he's requested so he can make an informed decision. WE (myself included) all know that enlisting today is a tough row to hoe. Its been deemed an unpopular war, Bush's war, and many other names. In all reality, it is about to end until we find another cause (whether right or wrong I leaave up to those who make the decisions) to get involved with. Nonetheless, if he decides that the military is his calling, there is no way that you or I will stop him. All we can do, as stated, is to give him the armor to make the right decision based on his and his family's needs.

To that end, TO ALL WHO SERVED HONORABLY from the bus driver to the cook to the combat marine. I owe you a debt of grattitude and at the very least, a cold beverage of your choice. I thank each and everyone of you, irregardless of your opinion, as you gave up something alot in this country now take for granted....YOUR FREEDOM! You answered the call whether wrong or right and sacrificed freinds, family and a chunk of your life so we can be here today debating this kind of stuff. With all my heart, I sincerely thank you.

Before I close, it wouldnt be me if I didnt throw in my two sense regarding those who speak out against our soldiers when they come home. I had a nasty gram from a moderator who basically told me to stay away from personal attacks because of a wingnut who said that "spitting" was an appropriate form of showing your didtaste for our veterans returning home. I was angered, incensed and if I could have, would have reached through the screen and like one of you said "Do something distasteful" as my brother served four times honorably in battle. Nonetheless, whether you agree or disagree, we owe them thanks, because they are doing what was asked of them. As the ground troops we dont always know the big picture, but know that someone at a much higher pay grade than ours was making the decisions. Its not ignorance, its called being a good soldier. I shudder to think how many times it would be different if the soldiers on the ground challenged thier orders. Only history will know for sure whether or not this was the right thing to do. "Nuff said on that.

Thank ALL OF YOU for you service and to those soon to join. May God bless each and everyone of you and keep you safe.

I wish you peace...
Winter

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Yes, the new GI Bill is great. But, since the OP is thinking Reserves, he should know be told that in order to get 100% of the new GI bill, you have to spend 3 years active to reap the full benefits of it.
However, Reserve/Guard members can collect 1607 benefits if they're deployed on active duty for 90 days or more (continous). It isn't the same as 1606 (GI Bill) and you can resume GI Bill collection when 1607 depletes as long as you're in a Reserve/Guard unit.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:35 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I'm 23/ married and thinking of joining the military early next year-- perhaps the Navy or Air Force. I have a decent amount of college credits toward my bachelors in Justice Studies. I would like enlist as a reserve, but would like to know how soon would the GI bill start- after basic training so I can further my education. If the reserve isn't a good choice then the next course of action for me is to fully enlist, but I want to know how soon could I attend school after fullly enlisting?

What questions should I be ready to ask/answer to/from the recruiter?
Please answer the question and avoid the off topic.

Here is the main questions: I would like enlist as a reserve, but would like to know how soon would the GI bill start- after basic training so I can further my education. If the reserve isn't a good choice then the next course of action for me is to fully enlist, but I want to know how soon could I attend school after fullly enlisting?

Lets answer this and avoid discussing the non related issues.

My advice from USAF: How soon can you start: as soon as you complete all your training requirements (basic, Tech School and I believe your 5 level). During your interview with the recruiter ask how the off-duty education works and what programs are available. You might want to ask if they can provide you information to the nearest reserve unit and some one within the career field so you can ask questions. Ask the question to someone already in the career TODAY and get feedback.

The recruiter will provide his presentation, but is up to you to do a bit more research and satisfy your concerns. I know that active duty USAF have programs that allow you to complete your degree in about 18 to 24 months. But the best is to ask the expert on the field...

Hope this helps...

Thank you.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I'm 23/ married and thinking of joining the military early next year-- perhaps the Navy or Air Force. I have a decent amount of college credits toward my bachelors in Justice Studies. I would like enlist as a reserve, but would like to know how soon would the GI bill start- after basic training so I can further my education. If the reserve isn't a good choice then the next course of action for me is to fully enlist, but I want to know how soon could I attend school after fullly enlisting?

I thought the Air Force was REALLY selective in their recruiting and do not take people with family/kids...at least on the enlisted end. Not sure though but something to look into. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues