Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM

161 posts, read 697,051 times

Advertisements

I ahd a parachuting accident in 2002 while on active duty in the army. I subsequently had back surgery and had a really serious concussion. I was dumb and waited till i got out of the military to do my claim. 2 months after i submitted my claim they sent me something in the mail that said flat out no! Without even a meeting or a physical at all. it has been over a year since then but I was wondering if anyone could help me or find me some help in resubmitting a claim. it isn't right to have a 5 inch scar on my back and continued pain and not even get anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As far as the concussion, my head hasn't felt "right" since then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzit420 View Post
I ahd a parachuting accident in 2002 while on active duty in the army. I subsequently had back surgery and had a really serious concussion. I was dumb and waited till i got out of the military to do my claim. 2 months after i submitted my claim they sent me something in the mail that said flat out no! Without even a meeting or a physical at all. it has been over a year since then but I was wondering if anyone could help me or find me some help in resubmitting a claim. it isn't right to have a 5 inch scar on my back and continued pain and not even get anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As far as the concussion, my head hasn't felt "right" since then...
Contact your county VA rep and see if they can help. Normally the VFW's have a rep that can also give direction to a regional administrator and get you additional assistance.

Best of luck...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
I sustained an injury in 1989....didn't seek treatment til 1994 and filed my claim shortly thereafter.

Not sure about the letter you received. I've never seen a letter that said, no.

Was it a 'decision' and they said 'denied'?

If so....that happens. I hear they have the system set up that way to automatically deny claims.

It's up to you to meet the qualifications for disability compensation.

Heads up! This isn't top secret. Each rating has a list of guidelines.

Get that info and then see for yourself which rating % you fall under. And then item for item you submit that evidence in support of claim for each and every requirement.

You won't be denied if you do that.

Good luck...and I agree....go to the VA, DAV...they have 'service officers' who do this kinda thing for a living.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

146 posts, read 440,429 times
Typical of the VA.... request your military medical records, seek out a good Vet's Rep from a service organization (check around, ask other vets, check at your nearest Vet Center), and refile your claim. Do you still have contact with anyone that can verify this incident??? How about letters home - did you say anything in them about this? These can all be used to prove your claim...

It's SOP for the VA to almost automatically deny any claim, because they figure 9 out of 10 times, the vet won't fight it. Well, I'm here saying, keep at it!

My husband was in Vietnam, and we never realized that we had to prove he was in Vietnam to the VA - but, yeah, you need to prove everything!

Also - my husband was service connected for hearing loss for 25 years and he never knew it. It was done upon his discharge, but no one ever said anything to him about it, except that he was supposed to go back for another hearing test, but he didn't know what it was for, so he never did.....

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Check this site: Locate a Veteran's Representative

Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
definitely get an advocate (I go through the DAV) and never accept no for an answer. They initially denied my request for vocational rehab, but I went back for a second interview and was accepted. Most of these things run off particular wording and once you learn what to say, you're in.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
DAV, American Legion and the VFW all have help available. Contact any one of the three for assistance.

The Veterans Rep at the VA can also be very helpful but it does help if you have assistance from somebody that's not getting paid by the VA.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
I have to third (or is it fourth) getting a veteran rep from one of the service orgs. I did ask around and went to the most recommended one in my area. We sat down together, filled out the paperwork, and then submitted it.

I then went to all of my appointments.

Six months later I got a check in the mail, and the next day I got my packet telling me what I was awarded and what I was denied.

All told, it took about 1 year.

Also, I did start the process of refuting what they denied. I waited until the last minute because I was not sure if I wanted to go through the hassle. In my area, challenges take about 24 months.

So, with the help of the VFW, I now have a 40% rating. I have no doubt that without the VFW backing me, I would have received next to nothing from the VA.

Again, let me stress, I feel like the VFW is responsible for me getting $625 a month, tax free for life.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
What's sad is that even when you have a medical problem while serving you may also be brushed aside. Last December while at a drill in the reserve component I had classic symptoms of persistant chest pain radiating into the arm and shortness of breath. I went to the hospital as a precaution and luckily a heart attack was ruled out. A report of survey after several months declined payment claiming even though it happened while on "drill" time I did not seek up channel authorization to be treated at a civilian facility, hence no payment. Thank god I carry private insurance which I know a great many of my unit members do not have. The most absurd part of it is that this occurred on a Sunday afternoon and the nearest military medical facility (MMF) is almost 300 miles distant. Then this summer we began processing for an impending deployment and my medical screening consisted merely of a blood pressure check, vision check, and general questionairre. Since it's been almost five years since my last DOD physical I asked if I was due for a full physical and was told we really don't them on five year schedule anymore so if I had any concerns I should she my own doctor. I know being well over 40 years in age I sure as heck will have a full physical done so I don't end up being a statistic. Maybe it's just bad luck, a change of the times and attitude, or both, but when I served originally from '79 to '92 I never experienced this sort of medical screening or concern, both on active duty and in the reserve component. At first when stories in the news concerning poor treatment of the troops and injured vets surfaced I thought to myself that these just have to be isolated incidents, but now it's pretty apparent that there is very real problem out there. It's a shame that anyone should have to resort to getting intervention from the VFW or members of Congress to get benefits due to them.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
You need to do a couple of things. You need to request copies of ALL of your medical records. You will need specifically entrance exam records, records of treatment at the time of injury, records of any treatment pertaining to the injury and records of your final exam when you were discharged. You will also need copies of your orders showing where you were at the time of the injury. Do NOT ask for these specific records as they can and quite possibly will disappear. You should be able to get the forms to request the records through the VA or DVA at your veterans hospital. Do not use the VA rep to file this claim. Go through the DAV or some other service organization to file. Then get on line at the VA website and research your injury in the rating table. When you get the part pertaining to your claim Print that sucker out and highlight the parts that pertain to you.
All of this is going to take awhile so don't get in a hurry. In the meantime got to the dr. when it bothers you to have medical evidence that the injury is still causing you trouble.
Been there, done that, and didn't have anybody but the VA to help me. A lot of my records disapeared and I still haven' t recovered them, so do not qualify for disability for that condition. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues