Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 PM

111 posts, read 353,663 times

Advertisements

I live a block away from a grocery store, and I've got to say, the commisary is a lot cheaper than this grocery store, and the quality of the produce is a lot better, too. I don't even go to the grocery store, I just go to the commisary, where I can get things like 32oz of orange juice for $2. And my commisary has a good selection of everything I'm looking for. But maybe that's because I'm in a big military town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
When I was on Active Duty, I used to complain about all those retirees clogging up the Commissary & BX. And now I are one... Seriously, I do realize what a great benefit our commisary and BX is. Hope it never goes away!

Steel man, you're right on! We need to consider that on our next big-ticket purchase!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Just a side note about big ticket items. At AAFES (PX or BX), if you find the same item for sale cheaper off base, they will honor the cheaper price (bring proof like a sales circular). Best of all you save on sales tax by buying it at AAFES.

My wife does say Walmart has some items that are cheaper than the commissary. I just usually use the BX and get haircuts on base (about 15 miles from Lackland AFB).
Not so true. I work overseas & they will sometimes (Kadena almost never) accept a brick & mortar add if it's not expired.

I use newegg.com for my electronics, cheaper with shipping included and much more current.

As far as DeCA; I use them for cheddar cheese only. In Okinawa, the produce is horrid, over $27 for a pound of cilantro, 7 sprigs for $3 (it was about $5 lb until about 3 months ago); 2 nectarines for almost $6; watermelons $13-16, and that's the small ones. Produce is cheaper and fresher on the outside.

I also don't like having to pay to have my bags packed. After several years in Europe, I prefer packing my own. It's almost impossible at the commissary. The checkers either don't understand English or just don't care to listen to you.

Last edited by chielgirl; 09-29-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

As far as DeCA; I use them for cheddar cheese only. In Okinawa, the produce is horrid, over $27 for a pound of cilantro, 7 sprigs for $3 (it was about $5 lb until about 3 months ago); 2 nectarines for almost $6; watermelons $13-16, and that's the small ones. Produce is cheaper and fresher on the outside.
Ouch

When we were stationed overseas I did most of my shopping locally also...both for prices and freshness, and gave me the full overseas experience.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Back in the 80s and early 90s while on active duty the commissary sure did save us money and we also liked the fact thet at least where we were at they always put out coupons with the products which eliminated the surcharge many times over. I have been to a few commissaries recently as I am now in the reserve component and the price savings versus off base/post stores is not all that much different it seems. For those that don't live near a commissary, but have reserve/guard facilities nearby, check with familiy services to see if they have commissary sales. Where I am at the Fort Drum commissary runs two day sales twice a year by delivering truck loads of items from over 230 miles away. They also let us preorder items which are bundled and ready for you when you arrive as well as having the option to shop through other goods delivered. Some of the items, especially in bulk are still very good deals.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not so true. I work overseas & they will sometimes (Kadena almost never) accept a brick & mortar add if it's not expired....
On AAFES price matching, I was referring to stateside. I was stationed twice at Kadena (on the Rock); 1973-74 and 1977-79.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
One of the best dive sites in the world, I'll miss it forever.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
I miss the commissary as an option.... and yeah, I also remember going in the 80's with my Grandma and the line wrapping around for days, like a big snake.

I was an AF brat, and I didn't know until it was no longer an option how much I'd miss commissary shopping. I can still go now (for my Grandma who cannot go or drive) but I never do... but last time I DID I was floored by the price differences. Awesome and worth other issues one might not like, IMO.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
The commissaries here are usually cheaper than other stores, but they rarely carry anything generic. You can still get name brand items for prices that are usually lower than other grocery stores. I haven't had a problem with customer service or anything related to that. The only issue I've had lately is they've been working on the bathroom at the Lackland Commissary and the only option is the bathroom in the bagger's break room. I always get dirty looks when I go back there and it's probably because I'm not a part of that mafia. Just (sorta) joking on that, but anyone that's been in a commissary should know what I'm talking about..

BTW, walmart and sam's club items for sale in the commissary? That can't possibly be legal.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM

26 posts, read 121,208 times
I LOVE the commissary. Here in Hawaii, a gallon of milk can cost $8 in a regular grocery store. In the commissary it's probably half of that.In a regular grocery store, I could probably buy 10 items with $100. In the comissary, I could buy a cart full of stuff!

As far as customer service, I've never had any issues with it. I understand that the lines will be even longer during payday, that's why I try to avoid going there around that time. But if I have to go, then I'll deal with it. The huge savings I get is worth the wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues