Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM

128 posts, read 347,689 times

Advertisements

I shop at the Fort Meade (Md.) Commissary...about a 20 minute drive from my house. It's a noticeable savings there compared to Giant Food, Safeway, or a number of stores right around the corner. I tried to quit the Commissary because of the nearness of the other options plus being infuriated sometimes by the crazy way they choose what to stock (dozens and dozens of the same flavor of one brand instead of offering not as much of this ONE flavor in deference to VARIETY...oh, I hate that). Also, when something runs out, dust will gather in that one empty spot for weeks before I finally see replenishment. It does NO GOOD to complain. All I hear is "we don't control stock--that decision comes out of the buyers in Dallas (or somewhere down there). But, I'm back at the Commissary, choosing to put up with its shortcomings because of the savings.

The PX is another story. They are as expensive if not more expensive as outside the gates. Yes, they price match, but the sales offered off-base more than off-set, especially when variety (again) or choices are more than lacking. I must say I recently got a great deal on AAFES.com on extra phone handsets. FREE SHIPPING and $19.99 each compared to $24.99 each + shipping @ walmart.com (none at the store).

I suppose I should appreciate the benefits, but that doesn't mean we should accept sub-par service or experience at these places on base/post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Kirtland AFB Commissary Deli, Boars Head Swiss Cheese $8.69 per lb
Local Wal-Mart Deli, "French Imported Swiss" cheese $6.93 per lb

I gotta say the "French Imported Swiss" tasted better....

Rich

Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
I do like the Boars Head but Sunflower Market carries it too so next time I have time I am going to compare the Commissary to the one on SM and Lomas to see if Sunflower's prices are the same or better. They have much better produce than the Kirtland commissary.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
RF in MD - I can explain some of the stocking issues (I work at a commissary and I'm a shopper)

When the company does a UPC change, the commissary system is set up that they have to run out of one UPC before they can bring in the new UPC. The distrubutors also want to sell the old UPC's before they bring in a new UPC, this creates a shortage of the product. Another element is, if the numbers are wrong in the system, the computer may think there is product on the shelf, and will not reoder. If the CAO (computer aided ordering) person stays up on their jobs, this should not be an issue, but it is.

When an item is deleted, the closest item to it gets spread out to fill the hole, until a replacement item is brought in. Thus the large number of facings of one item.

The commissary is a non profit store (you wouldn't see these types of issues in a for profit store, and the store to still be in business) the store rating dictates what the store can bring in. In our local store (very small - K1A rating) we carry 2 different brands of tub vanilla ice cream, but can't get a different flavor ice cream in the tub. Those decisions are made in VA, and trying to get the local people to request something outside their store rating is almost impossible.

Most for profit stores, have people responsible for specific sections of the store, the commissary system has one (or 2, if a large store) responsible for the whole store. There is no way 1 (or 2) people can keep track of all the items in the store. The system is also set up that if the shelf is empty, it stays that way until VA, tells them to do something else with that space. When they finally here from VA to pull the tag (the product is not coming back) the CAO will then spread out the closest item to fill the hole (this is why you see 7 facings of whole green beans, and only two facings of kitchen cuts) You don't see that in a for profit store - that shelf space would be filled with something, or all other items would be gaining another facing.

Although I agree that there needs to be a set of core things you can find at any commissary (so as service members transfer around, there is a standard) I also believe that aside from those core items, the local store needs the option of building on that to meet local customer demands. That second element is not in place.

In the store that I work in we have 4 managers. One (second from the bottom) is an authorized shopper. Although I don't believe this is the total problem, I believe it is an element of it. If the people who can request changes, aren't shopping there, they only care about staying out of trouble and collecting their paycheck, they are not vested in the store. Outside the actual store, I believe there is another 5 managers before you get to the top, of those (in our local chain of command) only 1 has ever worked at the store level, and only 1 (a different one) is an authorized shopper (although I doubt he actually does the shopping for his family)

The system has problems. After I started working there, I see some of those problems are because the overwhelming percentage of managment can't shop there, thus aren't vested, and don't care.

*** soap box time***
I believe we need to voice our concerns (and praises.) This is OUR benefit. WE need to make it the way we need it to be (see above paragraph) we aren't going to win most of the battles, but maybe we can win a few. Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us voice our concerns someone at the top might actually listen.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

128 posts, read 347,689 times
RHB--Wow! Thanks so much for this incredibly knowledgeable and informative post. I've been craving for just such an explanation. Knowledge is power and I'm happy that I now have a good understanding of why I see and experience what I do as walk through the aisles in the Commissary. I agree with you about voicing our concerns (and of course, praises)--and being forearmed with the above information is golden. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
I live outside Ft Huachuca and shop there regularly. It does seem that they are not very good at managing a grocery store. Shortages occur, we didn't have any fish for a month or bananas for two weeks, BUT, overall it cuts my bill considerably. Be sure to ask for the things they are short of, otherwise they will never know they've sold out.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Be sure to ask for the things they are short of, otherwise they will never know they've sold out.
That is a biggie. You need to ask.

This is an element of the facing issues. If VA says you will have 2 facings of x product, but the shelf is empty come 3 in the afternoon, if no one says anything it will stay that way. If people ask for x, there is a good chance it can gain a facing to insure there is enough on the shelf to get though the next days sales.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 18,951 times
I left Active Duty in 1986-and yes HC were around 2.00-2.50 on base compared to 12.00 in town- now today it costs practically the same on base or off base the hc today would cost about 10.00 with tip outside and aboiut the same on the inside- 10.00 after tip- you have a valid question and AAFES will only answer that they have expenses too-- if Walmart is for profit, and the px/MCX/BX/commissaries are supposed to be not for profit- why are the commissary costs higher than walmart?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage0213
I left Active Duty in 1986-and yes HC were around 2.00-2.50 on base compared to 12.00 in town- now today it costs practically the same on base or off base the hc today would cost about 10.00 with tip outside and aboiut the same on the inside- 10.00 after tip- you have a valid question and AAFES will only answer that they have expenses too-- if Walmart is for profit, and the px/MCX/BX/commissaries are supposed to be not for profit- why are the commissary costs higher than walmart?
ineptitude and incompetency.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage0213 View Post
if Walmart is for profit, and the px/MCX/BX/commissaries are supposed to be not for profit- why are the commissary costs higher than walmart?
Some Commissary costs are higher than Wal-Mart, and some are not, that has been partially discussed earlier in the thread. I buy my Swiss Cheese at Wal-Mart...

Wal-mart is very efficient and they employ over 1 million people. Their buying power is greater and they can almost put a store where they want. There are no Wal-Marts in the various countries which have US Military. So our commissary is at a disadvantage in that regard.

Generally most profits earned by the exchange services are used to support community activities aimed at improving morale among service members and their families. I believe the surcharge is fixed at 5% everywhere to pay for new construction, maintenance, and some operations.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-04-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Try to fix grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues