Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Once that is established is it to late to change your mind and re-enlist??

We are trying to talk my DIL's sister into staying in the coast guard, she already has 8 years and to leave now, well she's leaving at a bad time...there aren't any jobs out here, especially for a gunner's mate.

She had loved it but is not happy where she is at now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Once that is established is it to late to change your mind and re-enlist??

We are trying to talk my DIL's sister into staying in the coast guard, she already has 8 years and to leave now, well she's leaving at a bad time...there aren't any jobs out here, especially for a gunner's mate.

She had loved it but is not happy where she is at now
It's not too late. She can request to reenlist. I've personally run requests for my guys after they changed their minds. Even if she did get out, unless she's too old, she can come back in (assuming she didn't get forced out).

If she's not happy, it may not be worth her reenlisting. She'll be really bummed to be somewhere she dislikes for 4 more years.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
It's not too late. She can request to reenlist. I've personally run requests for my guys after they changed their minds. Even if she did get out, unless she's too old, she can come back in (assuming she didn't get forced out).

If she's not happy, it may not be worth her reenlisting. She'll be really bummed to be somewhere she dislikes for 4 more years.
Thanks....she's really going to be bummed about the job market
Just wish they would offer her Boston, she loved it there and they do have a lot of time, money invested in her...

No Don't think she's to old....27

Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,516 times
She can always talk to a recruiter, tell them what she would like to do and where she wants to be assigned, and see if they'll work with her on something.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
My first 4 years in the CG was in ordnance. Not much call for someone who can disassemble/re-assemble a .50 in 2 minutes blindfolded. I got out for 3 years, then re-enlisted to retire. The time went fast, and now I get a lifetime of free insurance (worth approx. $900 per month), preferential treatment in employment, and a pension ($1000 per month) at 39 years of age. The best and worst time of my life were in the military. The thing that kept me in was seeing people in lowly jobs say, "I'd be retired now if I had stayed in".

Last edited by ESFP; 10-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Tell her to talk to the recruiter. They may be able to find a slot for her MOS where she would like to go. Something else too is chaning her MOS an option?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
No not too late, know this from personal experience...but don't wait for the last few hours... good luck...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
My first 4 years in the CG was in ordnance. Not much call for someone who can disassemble/re-assemble a .50 in 2 minutes blindfolded. I got out for 3 years, then re-enlisted to retire. The time went fast, and now I get a lifetime of free insurance (worth approx. $900 per month), preferential treatment in employment, and a pension ($1000 per month) at 39 years of age. The best and worst time of my life were in the military. The thing that kept me in was seeing people in lowly jobs say, "I'd be retired now if I had stayed in".
Yes, that is what we are thinking as well..she already has 8 years invested

Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks all...her date is 12/28 so we have time to try and talk her out of this. If times were normal and plenty of jobs we wouldn't even try to tlak her out of it

Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks all...her date is 12/28 so we have time to try and talk her out of this. If times were normal and plenty of jobs we wouldn't even try to tlak her out of it
NJKate, forgive me, but I'm gonna play the "Devil's Advocate" here. Your sister is an adult. And SHE must make the decision to stay or go. Yes, I'm with you and the family and understand that you want her to succeed. (And I'd advise anybody to stay in right now, too) But it's ultimately her decision. Support her and live with her decision... Best of luck to you all!

I say this because I saw more than a few REALLY talented people that HATED their military specialty they were trained to do and had little hope of being retrained because their specialty was short of personnel. We ended up losing them before they were eligible to retire.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-08-2008 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: add more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues