Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times

Advertisements

You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Back to your original question though, females in the AF definitely do get deployed to war zones. I have no idea how far out into the world the CG goes.
The CG goes everywhere the other service branches go, and then some. They do drug interdiction in the waters of S.E. Asia. They sweep for mines and protect naval vessels in port in the Middle East. They work with China and Russia to protect Pacific Ocean fisheries. They patrol the North Atlantic. There are also many, many jobs stateside; depending on the job, most postings are from 18 months to 8 years.

This is from another posting about recruiting information:
//www.city-data.com/forum/milit...ilitary-4.html

Hope you find it helpful. Best of luck to your friend.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM

144 posts, read 158,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
The CG goes everywhere the other service branches go, and then some. They do drug interdiction in the waters of S.E. Asia. They sweep for mines and protect naval vessels in port in the Middle East. They work with China and Russia to protect Pacific Ocean fisheries. They patrol the North Atlantic. There are also many, many jobs stateside; depending on the job, most postings are from 18 months to 8 years.

This is from another posting about recruiting information:
//www.city-data.com/forum/milit...ilitary-4.html

Hope you find it helpful. Best of luck to your friend.
Thank you, but i did read that entire thread before i started this thread.
What do you mean postings are from 18 months to 8 years?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

I think she means time on station (length of the assignment).

In the AF, I have seen the same, though it appears the average is about 3-4 yrs for each place (I know the cost of moving is high and I think they are stretching out assignments to cut down on cost - my husband's current assignment is at least 4 yrs, up from a controlled length of 3 yrs previously).

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlabs View Post
What do you mean postings are from 18 months to 8 years?
Some postings, because of their remote location, are only 18 month stints. Families do not go with the Coastie. There are some cutters in the Pacific Northwest where, because of unique conditions and the amount of time to become proficient, an assignment may last up to 8 years. The average length is about 4 years.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Greenlabs, keep in mind that, no matter what your military occupational specialty is, one should join the service with the understanding that you may be deployed "anywhere at anytime" Yes, specialty plays a role in how often you might deploy. But there are jobs that you can do in a combat zone (or somewhere "in theatre") that may not need a specific specialty to staff. I loved my USAF career and would highly recommend it. HOWEVER, good folks like MI Coastie Mom and one of my (Retired USCG) co-workers have convinced me that the Coast Guard would be an awesome service to join, as well!

The best bet for ANYONE considering military service is go talk to a recruiter. They have all the current facts and regulations. On C-D, we have lots of "service-connected opinions"

Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Crew Chief, you are one classy guy and a gentleman to boot, thanks for the kind words.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Crew Chief, you are one classy guy and a gentleman to boot, thanks for the kind words.
Aw thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The coast guard is probaly the lest chance of serving in a war zone but not guaranteed.Also many times they are deployed to some pretty remote location from my friends who served in the CG. I agree never join thinking you would serve in a combat zone.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
The CG goes everywhere the other service branches go, and then some.
Thanks MICoastieMom for putting your $0.02. I was going to guess at what the CG did but knew I would get it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues