Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times

Advertisements

I visited several of the camps when I lived in Germany. Just standing there looking out was bone chilling. I wish it had been a war to end all wars. I was also lucky enough to talk to locals who lived through those turbulent years. Some of their stories of constant fear, starvation and perseverance were amazing.

Has anyone read The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer? It's a real eye opener and very gut wrenching. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I visited several of the camps when I lived in Germany. Just standing there looking out was bone chilling. I wish it had been a war to end all wars. I was also lucky enough to talk to locals who lived through those turbulent years. Some of their stories of constant fear, starvation and perseverance were amazing.

Has anyone read The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer? It's a real eye opener and very gut wrenching. I highly recommend it.
I cannot imagine. Bone chilling indeed. The thought of all the pain and suffering that happened in those camps we cannot even imagine on our worst day.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
WW II vet held in Nazi slave camp breaks silence: 'Let it be known' - CNN.com
Can't believe it was CNN that put this story out. It's a must read, especially for those who think GITMO and Abu prison was torture.
Massacres and Atrocities of WWII in the Pacific Region
Let us not forget our 'friendly peace loving' Japanese comrades.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,756 times
Oh, roger that,

sorry Chief....

Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
While in the Philippines, I was stationed at Capas, Tarlac, the terminus for the Bataan Death March. Every year, a group of survivors would show up, and I was never prouder than when I was selected as a member of the honor guard one year.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
The Japanese were far more brutal and sadistic than the Germans, hard as that may to believe. There is plenty of evidence that McArthur and his higher ups were complicit in covering up and quashing many of the investigations and prosecutions of Japanese war criminals. This could have gone to the very top, that means Truman.
The US government took the Japanese side when some WWII POWs tried to sue Mitsubishi and other Japanese companies that profited from slave labor. The lawsuit ended up going nowhere.
The Japanese continue to practice one-sided trade policies, and our politicians go along with it.

The Soviets had hundreds of thousands of their combat veterans liquidated after the war, because Stalin feared they were a threat to him.

The Chinese also liquidated many of their own.

Compared to all our opponents and many of our "allies," the US is an utter paragon of virtues regarding how POWs were treated. Not to mention the treatment of captured/surrendered territories. There is no comparison.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Thank you so much for posting this story . . . I am going to forward it to my friends. It is powerful and humbling to think what this man endured . . . and then never to have been able to discuss it . . . and to be disparaged by his own father . . . I simply find it all overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues