Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times

Advertisements

There is an opportunity that I MIGHT have but I need to research it. It is a 3 year AGR position working for NGB in the DC area. I'm just starting to investigate this so needless to say, details are lacking right now

To me, the big question is can an E5 with family survive in the DC area? About what would rent be for a 3 bedroom house/apartment?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
In the 90s I knew an E5 who came from doing a 'suit' tour in DC, he was returning to the fleet. I have no idea of how he did it. When I have been stationed in high cost areas, I was paid Housing Allowance [BAQ now called BAH] plus a floating VHA. I brought in my mortgage, and they adjusted VHA. so BAQ + VHA exactly matched my mortgage payments.

But I was in the Navy, who is much easier about the extra pays and allowances than other branches are.

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Thank you.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Check the BAH rates for the zip code. Quite possible that there an E5 can pull in close to 2k a month and of course it's a tax free allowance. Up here in the part of Vt I am in an E5 pulls in a little over 1400 p/mo. The rates vary by area, but it's based on your duty station location, so in some cases with a commute you can locate in a cheaper area. However, from what I have heard such a commute in the DC area would be a very long one and should gas go back up it would perhaps negate any savings.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
I have a friend that is at Ft. Meade. Its just her and her husband who is an E-5. They live off post and they had a hard time finding a place that was under their BAH. Check out https://onestop.army.mil/ They have links too that will take you to the BAH and area information. If you take your family, your best bet may be to look into housing on post. Search for example Ft. Meade housing and it should take you right to the housing page and you can get more accurate information on housing.
Its an opportunity. I do know before we leave where we are that we want to drive to DC (since we are close) so my kids can actually see it (along with myself).

Old 12-06-2008, 09:50 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Check the BAH rates for the zip code. Quite possible that there an E5 can pull in close to 2k a month and of course it's a tax free allowance. ...
Good point.

I keep forgetting AGR folks may be paying income taxes. Having spent nearly 20 years tax-exempt, I do forget at times that only parts of the paycheck are tax-free for some folks.

Thank you for the reminder.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM

I had already checked the BAH rates.

Damn, I just double checked. I have no idea what I did, but it seems like I got the ZIP wrong, by about 1k

With the BAH rate being around 1500-1900 depending on where I settle it does make it very possible...

Looks like I might need to send an email to get more info. Although it's not ideal, it is one hell of a chance. In addition to waiting out the economy, I'll also be making some very valuable contacts for once my 3 years are up...

Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Of course folk's personal situations will vary, but unless your civilian employement pays a better wage and/or benefits like being close to vesting for pension purposes, then a three year AGR tour sounds like a good deal. In my area right now we have extra money for ADSW slots being we are in a pre deployment mode. If you are planning on doing your twenty then AGR or ADSW is at the very least great for accumulating retirement points along with the tax free allowances. I would add to my points, but I am fortunate to have a stable job right now and once we deploy I'll have a years' worth of tax free income anyway while still accruing vesting time in my civilian job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues