Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times

Advertisements

I enlisted in 1988 and then got commissioned in 1990 then in fall of 1991 was at OCS and got a letter stating that effective Feb 11,1994 I am discharged with a honorable discharge.

In 1998, I purchased a home in Virginia with a COE and sold the house in 2002. I then moved to AZ where I was talked out of using my VA loan and did a conventional one.

Fast forward to now, my wife and decided to build a home and use my COE. Started to build in July and looking to close the house on Dec 22 or 30th. Monday I was told by my mortgage lender that I was denied my COE. I went to the VA office and they told my I didn't have enough points or time in. She also told me that back then the didn't keep good records and that I shouldn't have had one given to me in 1998, and that they have had to tell others the same thing.

Is this true and what can I do?

Thanks
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
I suspect the VA only took into account your commissioned service time. Enlisted time is filed seperately from commissioned time, and I have had to "connect the dots" for different personnel actions and benefits. Bring both DD214s to the VA (or whatever the guard equivalent is - I have a guard form, NGB Form 22 I think, and a DD214 for guard service, and a DD214 for active service, and had to present all three at retirement to get my time properly accounted for. It should be a seamless data base, but it is not).

Also, you should have an Honorable Discharge certificate from your enlisted time. That and your enlistment contract could also be used to establish eligibility for a VA loan.

If you were not a drilling reservist for the entire period of 1988-1994 (6 years), you may be short points/time to qualify, but I would bring all my documents in and let VA sort it out. I suspect your eligible, but need to present all your documentation to get correct credit for your service.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues