Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 PM

50 posts, read 200,824 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if any of you soldiers, sailors, airman or marines who have been deployed to Iraq have come home and since your return had babies be born with any kind of birth defects. My hubby returned from Iraq in 2006 and in 2007 we had a son stillborn with numerous birth defects. Of course we've heard how it's just a fluke and has nothing to do with the immunizations he received or anything he was exposed to so we tried again only to lose that baby at 16 weeks. So at this point I have to wonder if the exposures he encountered during his deployments contributed to these devastating events. I also have to mention that we have two other healthy children who were conceived before his deployments. I truly hope the answer to my question is that no one else has had to go through this, but if you have I really would like to know what your experiences have been. I also should mention that there were two other military wives I knew of who lost babies in the last trimester around the same time that we did. There just seem to be too many signs that point toward these deployments. I'd also like to mention that I'm very proud of my hubby's service but I hope that losing these babies aren't sacrifices we've made for our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM

30 posts, read 165,580 times
I had some secondary losses as well but I never contributed them to the deployments. I had never had any problems conceiving and carrying a baby to term until my husband and I began trying.
I ended up with 4 losses, one I carried to 16wks and then lost that baby with no answers as to why.
I finally got pregnant again with my son who is almost 3yrs now. He was suppose to be a twin, but I lost the twin in the early part of the pregnancy.
I didn't carry my son complete to term, I ended up with severe preeclampsia and had to be induced at 33wks. He has no birth defects and only had to stay in NICU for a month before coming home.
The severe pre-e in my thoughts, would be more due to me, not the deployments. I have no answers to the previous losses though.

Oh, and before my husband's first deployment, he had to be doubly immunized due to them losing his records of the previous immunizations.. Umm, yeah.

I'm sorry for your losses..

Last edited by remee; 12-15-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: posted enter too quick

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
I have yet to hear anything about it with this round of deployments but I have read and seen quite a bit about children being born with birth defects from the first Gulf War. Its entirely possible that this could be what happened in your situation. Has this been happening more with in your community? What do the doctors say?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
I have 3 very healthy children all born in between the many deployments. I know of only one birth defect born during the 20 years we were active duty - CP - unrelated to deployments. I know of ADD and autism cases but the numbers are not many. If there were birth defects related to deployments the numbers would be so high, IMO there is no correlation.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I have yet to hear anything about it with this round of deployments but I have read and seen quite a bit about children being born with birth defects from the first Gulf War. Its entirely possible that this could be what happened in your situation. Has this been happening more with in your community? What do the doctors say?
I'd like to believe there is no correlation, but in our small Air Force base housing neighborhood I can count 4 women who had losses around the same time as me all following a deployment. And those were only the women I knew, I'm sure there could have been more women going through this that I didn't know. One of the women who suffered a stillborn loss was my neighbor right across the street right after I did. She lost her baby at 7 months due to birth defects also. And she had a healthy baby before him. She was told that her baby's birth defects were so "rare" and the chances of this happening were less than 1 in 3000, well guess what I was told the same thing, 1 in 3000. Her baby had anencephaly (which means her son's skull never formed over his brain) and our baby had a disease called arthrogryposis, which is a rare form of skeletal dysplasia. Both of them affected the bones in some way, her baby's skull and my baby's joints and limbs. My other two friends have no answers, just losses. Now granted our babies had different birth defects, but still.

I have so many questions, especially after reading about the Gulf War babies like you mentioned as well as Vietnam Vets' kids after the father's exposure to agent orange. But then on the other hand what if it was something in our environment right here at home? Something in the water, the soil, the pesticides they used in our homes? Erin Brockavich's story comes to mind. ALL the doctors told us women that it was a fluke, but then it happened to me again at 16 weeks, and I'm the only one who tried again (my friends were too traumatized to try again, not that I wasn't devestated but I believed the doctors when they said it was a fluke), so it's hard to say what might have happened to the others. But they're military doctors, I doubt they're going to tell us that it could be related to the military. I'd like to believe that they would never try to cover anything like that up, but I'm just not that naive. Look how long it took for the gov't to admit to the agent orange issue. That's why I posted this thread, because the only way I think I might find something out is to get out there and ask the wives myself.

My hubby and I are also looking into the records kept for our city to see if we can check the demographics in our area for stillborn losses. Because even though our baby wasn't issued a birth certificate (it's a certificate of live birth) he was issued a death certificate which means every other baby who passed away had to be issued one as well. I don't know if there is a way to check the demographics specifically or to see if the still birth was related to birth defects or something else, but I'm trying to find out. I feel like I know that I know something but I don't know what it is. It's kind of like fighting a ghost, something is there, you just can't see it clearly. It's the hardest, saddest and most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life.

Thank you guys for your input and if you hear of anything from any of your friends will you let me know what you find please? I don't think I can take this info as far as Erin Brockavich did, but I'd at least like to know for myself. Trying again hasn't been taken off the table just yet, but I'm so scared to go through all this a 3rd time. I'd like to at least know what I'm up against.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I have 3 very healthy children all born in between the many deployments. I know of only one birth defect born during the 20 years we were active duty - CP - unrelated to deployments. I know of ADD and autism cases but the numbers are not many. If there were birth defects related to deployments the numbers would be so high, IMO there is no correlation.

My concern is that the numbers are there but since it's all still relatively recent, they haven't been putting it all together yet to conclude that these guys might have been exposed to some kind of toxin. Do you mind if I ask you if your deployments were to Iraq? When my dh returned from Iraq the first time he had a cough that he couldn't get rid of for the longest time from inhaling all the stuff that they were burning out there. I'm concerned about what he was inhaling as well as what kind of stuff they were breathing in while they were digging to break ground for the new hospital they were building while he was there. We all know that things were buried there, I just worry what those buried things might have been and pray that they didn't affect my husband.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,745 times
Try the forum on this website... Military Spouse. All branches are represented and you might get a bit more feedback.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,142 times
Default Interesting

I came across your post Googling Disabled children born to US Soldiers. I read what you wrote and I wanted to say I've come across a few women who had stillbirths, babies born with no anuses or brains. My personal story is I have a healthy 11 yr old born pre Army with No medical problems. A 7 yr old born with Horseshoe kidney hole in her heart, Now being tested for a disease where her intestines isn't functioning correctly. My 2 1/2 year old was born with a Underdeveloped eye, cataract Glucoma, A disease that causes his body to see food as a foreign object and his body just attacks itself. A learning Disability. I suffered Five Consecutive Miscarriages before having My youngest. Coincidence?? I think Not... My husband served in Iraq, Kuwait, Kosovo and was in the Army for Five Years... I look forward to hearing from you

Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Wife View Post
My concern is that the numbers are there but since it's all still relatively recent, they haven't been putting it all together yet to conclude that these guys might have been exposed to some kind of toxin. Do you mind if I ask you if your deployments were to Iraq? When my dh returned from Iraq the first time he had a cough that he couldn't get rid of for the longest time from inhaling all the stuff that they were burning out there. I'm concerned about what he was inhaling as well as what kind of stuff they were breathing in while they were digging to break ground for the new hospital they were building while he was there. We all know that things were buried there, I just worry what those buried things might have been and pray that they didn't affect my husband.

It may possibly be your location though. Alot of military facilities are heavily polluted.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
It may possibly be your location though. Alot of military facilities are heavily polluted.
This is what I was actually leaning toward since "rare" birth defects seemed prevelant at our base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues