Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:16 PM

67 posts, read 213,019 times

Advertisements

Okay first of all, i want to join the army and unfortunately i'm having a hard time. I have tons of family members who has been and are in the military. Many of them say that i can and i do qualify for the army.

I'm 20 years old, athletic build with alot of attribute in the military. I was in young marines for quite a while perhaps 6 yrs and i left as a staff sgt to go into college. Young marines is sort of like marine corp but for kids to young adult. Google it if you dont know what it is, but i can tell ya it's TONS better than boys scout lol.

Anyways i'm hard of hearing almost profound but people in general hardly notice that i'm hard of hearing. I use hearing aids and it's a big help. Now i've been raised old fasioned and i've been around MANY things all of my life. Which means i've been shooting since i was 12 and i still shoot every month lol. I can do mapping very well (currently working for the state doing geographic information system) and i sure can read maps well. I enjoy doing computer work and i spend alot of times on computers. I've been influenced by many friends, family relatives and people in general who has been or are in the military. My cousin right now in intelligence (classified, he wont tell me much) and he's making 200k in 6 months, i was stunned but thats not the whole deal why i want to join.

Reason why i want to join the army is because of the army life i've wanted for a while now. The benefits, money, education, and the training. I've gone to 2 recruiters and they are still giving me all of the bull ****s. I know there's a job i can do and i'm not in luck. Perhaps you guys could help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 PM

425 posts, read 666,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvet4dog View Post
Okay first of all, i want to join the army and unfortunately i'm having a hard time. I have tons of family members who has been and are in the military. Many of them say that i can and i do qualify for the army.

I'm 20 years old, athletic build with alot of attribute in the military. I was in young marines for quite a while perhaps 6 yrs and i left as a staff sgt to go into college. Young marines is sort of like marine corp but for kids to young adult. Google it if you dont know what it is, but i can tell ya it's TONS better than boys scout lol.

Anyways i'm hard of hearing almost profound but people in general hardly notice that i'm hard of hearing. I use hearing aids and it's a big help. Now i've been raised old fasioned and i've been around MANY things all of my life. Which means i've been shooting since i was 12 and i still shoot every month lol. I can do mapping very well (currently working for the state doing geographic information system) and i sure can read maps well. I enjoy doing computer work and i spend alot of times on computers. I've been influenced by many friends, family relatives and people in general who has been or are in the military. My cousin right now in intelligence (classified, he wont tell me much) and he's making 200k in 6 months, i was stunned but thats not the whole deal why i want to join.

Reason why i want to join the army is because of the army life i've wanted for a while now. The benefits, money, education, and the training. I've gone to 2 recruiters and they are still giving me all of the bull ****s. I know there's a job i can do and i'm not in luck. Perhaps you guys could help me out here?

City/State?

I can hook you up with a decent recruiter, if that's what you want?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,573,190 times
bvet, I sent your comment to my son-in-law who was an Army recruiter for 3 years. He said that was one part of the Army he didn't want to go through again. When he gets back to his office he is going to reply to what you said. He'll email me and I'll post it on here for you. But he did say he has had men with hearing aids who were denied for that reason. Not meaning to sound mean, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM

i live in gardiner maine, the only recruiting center that i know of is in augusta. I'm not giving up my hope and i'm not going to let them to put a foot on me. I have few friends who joined the army and doing computer work... the funny thing is they have worst hearing loss than i do. But they were the ones who i met through college in new york on my first year.

Physically i'm fit (athletic)
Love shooting
love PT training
like the military life
like the money
like the benefits
like the training they have.

Maybe that'll help to get some responses. I'm not some random nerd who wants to join. I'm down for just about anything that can get me into the military and earn some good money to make a good living. My other cousin is now in iraq doing contract work and he's making heffy amount of greens. When he gets back, he wont have to work for half of the year, all he has to worry about is taking care of his baby and hit the gym lol. Thats pretty much what i want (sort of). Anyways, the thing is that they dont understand that i have skills and abilities to do things. I probabaly can do something faster and better and more efficently than some hearing guys do. I remember doing construction work with my uncle who has a major skin disease, we sort of had a race against 2 body builder on buidling garages. We both had same design, same layout.... we beat them by 2 days and we worked almost less than what they did. You'll be amazed on how much skills or abilities on what hard of hearing/deaf folks can do. it just bugs me alot that i get rejected from the army and i'm a fricken citizen of the united states, i should be able to join. Heck back in the old days, guys had to be perfect to join the marines..... but now they can be fat ****s and it wouldnt matter. I just find it bull ****.

Thanks for your input guys, i appreciate it. I await for your answers.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM

and oh i can add some photos of myself to display what i really look like. I really do look like just about any marines (have been told) lol. Infact i still have young marines ID card ahaha.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:15 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,573,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvet4dog View Post
My other cousin is now in iraq doing contract work and he's making heffy amount of greens. When he gets back, he wont have to work for half of the year, all he has to worry about is taking care of his baby and hit the gym lol. Thats pretty much what i want (sort of).
Son-in-law finally finished his case (he's an MP) and replied to your message. I copied and pasted both your messages and emailed them to him. And he says...

"as soon as he admits to being hard of hearing he is permanantly disquallified. The only way around it would be to take a hearing test and submit a waiver. Even this has a very very slim chance of getting through. "
This is back to me. You say your other cousin is in Iraq doing contract work, that is a totally different thing than being the military. The military has all kinds of contractors over there working. My wife retired from civilian military work after almost 25 years last year. I told her about your cousin making $200,000 every six months. She said he may be making that much money but it aint in the U.S. military! We personally know an E7 who IS working intelligence in Iraq now and we know what he makes. It may be $200,000 every 3 years! Doing contract work, even intelligence, pays much more. I imagine those "hefty greens" are contract work.
And before you go spouting off like you did in your second comment, That reply from my son-in-law is from an MP who was a recruiter for a while. But he hated it.
I think I would be checking with your cousin mentioned above and get one of those contract jobs. But if you want to try to get in the military, go for it! You can talk and ask all you want but you won't know till you try! Good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:50 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,464,909 times
I was in the Army in the 80's and I enjoyed it. I furthered my career as a DI and enjoyed that as well. I was like you, wanted to join the military, many of my family members were either retired or served. Go for it!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 AM

804 posts, read 2,895,078 times
Thumbs up Heres the deal...

I am willing to bet your hearing is (obviously) whats keeping you out. They just wont take that risk with you.

You should go see a Coast Guard recruiter. That's who I work for and I have had friends in the Army, Marines, etc.. Every one of them says if they had to do it over again and knew what they know now they would go USCG. Hey if you keep getting the same excuses from the Army guys go see a Coast Guard recruiter and see if he can get you in. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:04 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,388,886 times
I retired in the U.S.C.G. and would do it again. We had people who had to fight to get in, and here's a sure-fire way to do it. Get a Senator to write a letter for you. They run the military, and if they ask for you to be considered, you're in! Good luck.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
Evidently the physical requirements for hearing are there for a reason.

Even as a draftee I had to pass a hearing test.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-27-2008 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues