Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

Just saw an artical about how bad Marine body armor is. Does anyone about the stuff the Army uses. If my son goes to the sandbox can he take his own? This is the stuff I think I want him to wear...

Dragon Skin | Body Armor : Pinnacle Armor - Body Armor and Armoring Products.

Marines in combat still seek a better flak vest - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_iraq_better_body_armor - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 06:01 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just saw an artical about how bad Marine body armor is. Does anyone about the stuff the Army uses. If my son goes to the sandbox can he take his own? This is the stuff I think I want him to wear...

Dragon Skin | Body Armor : Pinnacle Armor - Body Armor and Armoring Products.

Marines in combat still seek a better flak vest - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_iraq_better_body_armor - broken link)
I believe that only issued equipment is only authorized. Granted that the new body armor is way better than 5 years ago according to a report on the military channel.\\

Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I believe that only issued equipment is only authorized. Granted that the new body armor is way better than 5 years ago according to a report on the military channel.\\
That's what I would think as well but I wonder how that flys when your in-country?. Kind of like can't use captured weapons rule??? It's been a long time of course but I bought my own flight boots way back when...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
That's what I would think as well but I wonder how that flys when your in-country?. Kind of like can't use captured weapons rule??? It's been a long time of course but I bought my own flight boots way back when...
Sometime back was reported that deployed members did modifications to vehicles armor and that was not received on a positive manner by Chief of Staff and many head rolled and the production and shipment of required equipment was expedited and deployed Commanders had to answer any deviations from the issued equipment.

Maybe the troops did a better job with the local armor but was not received well by the leadership....

Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,857 times
I heard dragon skin was the way to go, but they said it had some defects that it degraded in the heat. So the interceptor body armor was the way to go. But on another note, private contractors seem to have no problems with there dragon skin

Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
When I was in Kosovo, we were only issues flak jackets. Surplus from VN.

I went there with my own level-3 t-shirt type armor.

Generally if you wish to wear bullet-proof armor underneath your uniform, you can.

But you may be ordered to wear a very heavy layer of fluff on top of your uniform.

Our flak jackets were made to cushion flying debris, like chunks of concrete, or junk from explosions. They had no effect on bullets.

I was senior enough that I was able to get away with wearing my level-3 armor. But I worked with junior men who had also bought their own level-3 armor, and they were forced to wear 30 pounds of flak-jacket on top.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When I was in Kosovo, we were only issues flak jackets. Surplus from VN.

I went there with my own level-3 t-shirt type armor.

Generally if you wish to wear bullet-proof armor underneath your uniform, you can.

But you may be ordered to wear a very heavy layer of fluff on top of your uniform.

Our flak jackets were made to cushion flying debris, like chunks of concrete, or junk from explosions. They had no effect on bullets.

I was senior enough that I was able to get away with wearing my level-3 armor. But I worked with junior men who had also bought their own level-3 armor, and they were forced to wear 30 pounds of flak-jacket on top.
Thanks!
My kids a 56m Chaplins Assistent. So not sure what he'll be carrying in the way of gear. Maybe if I get his Chaplin a set as well

Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Dragon skin is the way to go unfortunately your going to have to pay out of pocket. See government issue is provided by contractors and the lowest bid or perhaps those with connections gets to make the armor, weapons, etc. Thus well it may not be bad but it may not the best for our best and brightest either.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times

YouTube - IOTV

This is the type of the armor I wore. Additionally, we were on of the first units (Army) to move into Iraq with these. While there, I saw several articles in Stars and Stripes talking about units getting them while in country. Let me just say that this one was a royal PITA. The neck kept on riding up. For some reason a lot of the guys starting having nerve issues in their arms/shoulders. The vests would occasionally come apart on their own, even if checked just a couple of hours ago.

I will say that all of the issues though are better then a round to the chest.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Dragon skin is the way to go unfortunately your going to have to pay out of pocket. See government issue is provided by contractors and the lowest bid or perhaps those with connections gets to make the armor, weapons, etc. Thus well it may not be bad but it may not the best for our best and brightest either.
They had a report either on the Military Channel or How is It Made and is the best in the market....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues