Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,404 times

Advertisements

America The Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Lands Recreation (Free Access Pass): LIFETIME
http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/access/access_pass.htm

If you have a letter of ANY disability from the VA you can pick up your FREE Lifetime Pass at any National Park/Monument. Additionally, these used to be the Golden Access passes but that was ONLY for National Park Service Units, this new pass is inter-agency Federal.
"Explore Your America"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Both Home Depot and Lowes have corporate policies that all vets get 10% off, all year around.

They do not always advertise it though. Sometimes you have to ask for it.

Really! I've asked but was told "sorry, no". I'm in the process of renovating, too. Spent 3 grand already with tons more to go!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
At Home Depot I asked and was told 'NO'. Then months later, after doing this again and again, one of the guys in plumbing told me to ask for the head cashier. Management knows that it is corporate policy. But they commonly do not tell the cashiers. So the cashier simply does not know. But the store managers do.

Now at my local HD there is a group of retirees who work there. So they tell all military customers, and keep reminding everyone. The management of HD may continue trying to screw it's customers. But at least here, there is now a big bunch of us, who insist on our discounts.

It is not the corporation of HD trying to stop us from using the discounts. But then again, the corporation does not advertise the discounts either.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 22,584 times
Talking Great Deals

First let me thank You for volunteering for those whose who have served.
I currently serve and have for quite some time now, with that being said I have done tons of research involving deals for military members. I have found a few Great thing that would be nice, especially for those who have just returned from overseas, such as this.. Discovery Cruise Lines offers a free one day cruise to the Grand Bahamas, it's simple to sign up and I know people that have done it and enjoyed it Very much. The website has all of the details. Next offer that I have found is a Walt Disney offers a free 5 day pass to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! There are allot of extras that come with this package known as the "Disney's Armed Forces Salute". I found that on the website Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort offical website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air there are tons of different offers available, check it out!

Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
First of all, thank you to each and every person who has served our country.

I enjoy volunteering at the local VA oupatient clinic. I'd like to put together discounts that are available to Vets to add on here: Oklahoma American Veterans News

It is easy to find Sr. Citizen discounts but the veterans discounts must be well hidden as I have spent the past few days "googling" and haven't been very successful.

I am looking for any businesses (restaurants, home improvement stores, roofers, electricians etc) that give discounts to Vets or who will barter with Vets.

If you know of any please tell me if it is nationwide or local to your city.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times
Just an update on Lowes home improvement store....

went to my local one and asked for the discount- no problem-just called a guy for a card or code.

Wow! Same store a few months ago was told, "no discount"

Coming back from the VA hospital today I stopped at a Lowes on the way home and asked for the discount- the lady said they didn't have a military discount. I requested she ask the head cashier and she got almost nasty with me-pitching a fit (you know, the loud sigh, eyes roll up)

I didn't budge and just stood there looking at her and she called- and sure enough a guy appeared with the card to scan.

She didn't apologize or anything.

So, Lowes does offer the discount.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Good for you!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,068 times
Default I really appreciate you all helping me with this!!

Quote:
I'd like to put together discounts that are available to Vets to add on here: Oklahoma American Veterans News

...looking for any businesses (restaurants, home improvement stores, roofers, electricians etc) that give discounts to Vets or who will barter with Vets.
I'm still working on it (If you go there look for the Veterans Discounts tab.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
The Lowes in the Indianapolis area offer 10% off to people with both a military ID card and a retired ID card. I'm curious though if an ID card from the VA will get you the same discount since only veterans can have one issued to them as far as I know.

IHOP will also give 10% off with a military ID. The one that I occasionally go to will occasionally not give me the 10%. Instead they sometimes give me the LEO discount, which is 50% off.
What is a LEO discount?

I am learning as I go. Recently I was told that a military ID is not a Veterans ID nor is a retiree's discount the same as a Veterans discount. I was told military means Active and once someone gets out they no longer have a military ID. (I am not military so I have no idea if that is right... Maybe you all can tell me if it isn't right. All I know is I am trying to get some things on the site for our Vetsfor Vets. I don't care if they didn't retire....so aren't retirees...if they served I think they deserve all I can find for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I know Foot Locker offers 10% off with military ID.
Their line is always busy when I call. I would love to know if they will offer it to Veterans, too.

Quote:
Both Home Depot and Lowes have corporate policies that all vets get 10% off, all year around.

They do not always advertise it though. Sometimes you have to ask for it.
I got an eady "yes" from Lowe's but the manager of our Home Depot was adamant that he will not give one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
America The Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Lands Recreation (Free Access Pass): LIFETIME
http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/access/access_pass.htm

If you have a letter of ANY disability from the VA you can pick up your FREE Lifetime Pass at any National Park/Monument. Additionally, these used to be the Golden Access passes but that was ONLY for National Park Service Units, this new pass is inter-agency Federal.
"Explore Your America"
Too bad it is just for disabled but I'm glad they do offer it.

Quote:
At Home Depot I asked and was told 'NO'. Then months later, after doing this again and again, one of the guys in plumbing told me to ask for the head cashier. Management knows that it is corporate policy. But they commonly do not tell the cashiers. So the cashier simply does not know. But the store managers do.

Now at my local HD there is a group of retirees who work there. So they tell all military customers, and keep reminding everyone. The management of HD may continue trying to screw it's customers. But at least here, there is now a big bunch of us, who insist on our discounts.

It is not the corporation of HD trying to stop us from using the discounts. But then again, the corporation does not advertise the discounts either.
I'll call corporate. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman1979 View Post
First let me thank You for volunteering for those whose who have served.
I currently serve and have for quite some time now, with that being said I have done tons of research involving deals for military members. I have found a few Great thing that would be nice, especially for those who have just returned from overseas, such as this.. Discovery Cruise Lines offers a free one day cruise to the Grand Bahamas, it's simple to sign up and I know people that have done it and enjoyed it Very much. The website has all of the details.

Discovery cruiseline all Military who have served or are serving in Iraq or Afghanistan on a complimentary one day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Grand Bahama Island valid until December 31, 2010. Discovery will provide the free one day Bahamas Cruise, including the cost of all buffet meals, all service charges, taxes and Bahamian Departure Fees. There are no additional costs involved. It does mention the Military ID but I don' tsee anythig for Vets.

Next offer that I have found is a Walt Disney offers a free 5 day pass to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! There are allot of extras that come with this package known as the "Disney's Armed Forces Salute". I found that on the website Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort offical website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air there are tons of different offers available, check it out!
Disney Parks active duty and retired (<----Doesn't say Veterans...wish it did) U.S. Military this year. Free ticket for the military member and they can buy up to five companion tickets for $99 bucks a piece. These can be upgraded at the ticket booth at Disney to hopper passes and such. It's good through 12/23/09. Inexpensive lodging and free things to enjoy while you are there.

I'm just trying to get a clear understanding so when I post on the Oklahoma American Veterans News site I don't get anyone's hopes up and then have them let down if these places won't honor it.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:

What is a LEO discount?

Usually LEO means Law Enforcement Officer.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,781,883 times
T-Mobile now give 15% off your monthly bill to military. I have been with T-Mobile for years and only learned about this discount when I went into the store last week. This is a new program that just recently started.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM

317 posts, read 535,740 times
any USAA members? theres a few companies that you can get discounts when you show your USAA insurance card. i get 24% off of my sprint cell bill.

Buffalo Wild Wings gives a 10% for veterans or gov employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues