Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 8 days ago)

14,432 posts, read 9,517,868 times

Advertisements

Anyone had the pleasure of SERE school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,268,269 times
My Brother in law who flies 53's for the Marines went to a SERE school in Maine. Said he lost 10-15lbs when he was up there, and I think it was only like 2 weeks.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,229,540 times
My ex-fiancee and his bro both did SERE school. They came back weighing less and subdued for a couple of days, but after that they recovered and said that they learned a lot, and while they didn't enjoy the experience, they were grateful for it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,402,037 times
Just finished SERE training. Don't think I'd want to go to the school :-O

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM

254 posts, read 1,203,548 times
About ten years ago I went to some kind of resistance course (SERE level C?) out at Fairchild AFB in Washington. I'm not sure if they still run that course but it was definitely a great learning experience.

While working on Fort Bragg for seven years, we always heard stories from folks that went to the SERE training there. It sounded like the evasion part great training, but not something I would volunteer for.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 11,106 times
I went to SERE school 1969, my friend's son in 2008. The school is active today for all aircrew, special forces and any other that might be captured and held behind enemy lines. There are several levels from a week to 3 weeks. It teaches basic survival skills, how to evade an enemy and how to survive life in a prison camp. Yes during that phase, we were waterboarded, put naked in a small black box with a can to deficate in, slapped around, and questioned. I did not feel any of these tactics were torture by definition. It does however give you a sense of being reduced to your survival level. I value it as one of the best schools I have ever attended, the most learned about myself, and I do not want to go again though.
I am strong in my feelings that this whole thing is two parties trashing each other. It is like two little kids not two strong leaders. Each has to be right and there is no common ground. Maybe next election we can select someone and a senate and house that are true leaders. it may take a third party

Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM

472 posts, read 737,674 times
I went to SERE school in 1965 prior to going to a deployable squadron. I think I learned a lot.
It's one of those experiences I wouldn't take a million dollars for, but I wouldnt do it again for a million dollars.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,776 times
Is there anyone out there who remembers the music in SERE training? What was it like? (how long did it last, what songs were used, what did it seem intended to do to you, etc)?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,118,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissnpits4u View Post
I went to SERE school 1969, my friend's son in 2008. The school is active today for all aircrew, special forces and any other that might be captured and held behind enemy lines. There are several levels from a week to 3 weeks. It teaches basic survival skills, how to evade an enemy and how to survive life in a prison camp. Yes during that phase, we were waterboarded, put naked in a small black box with a can to deficate in, slapped around, and questioned. I did not feel any of these tactics were torture by definition. It does however give you a sense of being reduced to your survival level. I value it as one of the best schools I have ever attended, the most learned about myself, and I do not want to go again though.
I am strong in my feelings that this whole thing is two parties trashing each other. It is like two little kids not two strong leaders. Each has to be right and there is no common ground. Maybe next election we can select someone and a senate and house that are true leaders. it may take a third party
went to SERE in 1967~ jungle SERE in 72 You claim you were waterboarded in 1967~ proof?

they hadn't even thought of waterboarding at that time!

that is not to say there weren't tactics used but WATERBOARDING??

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,176,962 times
I went in '83. Yes, there was waterboarding. I was in SBU12 out of Coronado and went to Warner Springs in CA - high desert. I can honestly say I learned more about myself than anything else. The guards wore East German uniforms, flew a DDR flag above the compound, and said a lot of things like "Do American push-push." "Grab regs" etc. Played tapes of babies crying, white noise, and muezzin chants. Hard cell, soft cell. Been there, done that. Didn't get a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues