Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

Good grief, please someone have an answer for me!

When my son turned 18 he says he registered with selective service. He's spent the last year trying to get into the Army. Long story, lazy recruiter, blah blah blah, he finally gave up.

In the meantime I get a letter in the mail from the selective service saying he never signed up. Now, I could be wrong; he may not have registered. So I called him at my mother's house where he's been staying and working. When he got on the phone I realized his social security number that they have listed for him isn't his SS#.

I tried to call the toll free number on the paper and all you get is a recording and all you can do is register on the phone to a recording. I see no point in registering him if they have the wrong number; I'd just called to hopefully talk to a human to see why they have a different SS# listed for him. He also needs to call and make sure he's listed under the correct SS#.

My big concern is that during my pregnancy with him I was in the middle of a very bitter divorce. My ex voluntarily gave up all parental rights and disappeared. However, about 4 years port-divorce my ex had my son's name changed without my consent by forging legal documents. Just one of the wonderful things he did. I'm worried that somehow my son exists twice in the SS office with his given birth name and then again with my ex's last name.

I called the toll free directory to try to find a phone number for selective service and it said there's no record. I just don't know where to turn now. Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:56 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,456 times
When I registerd to vote I also registered with selective service. You might want to check with your local court house.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Also those who register for college are registered with selective service.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Also those who register for college are registered with selective service.
If they take federal financial aid.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If they take federal financial aid.
Oh no! My son's school loans were not federal and he got a card in the mail for selective service when he registered for school, it's quite the opposite IF you don't register!

[SIZE=2]STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans. [/SIZE]

Here's a link on the information:
http://www.sss.gov/

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Oh no! My son's school loans were not federal and he got a card in the mail for selective service when he registered for school, it's quite the opposite IF you don't register!

[SIZE=2]STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans. [/SIZE]

Here's a link on the information:
Selective Service System: Welcome
Are you certain there wasn't federal funding involved? My experience has been unless you apply for any federal dollars SS registration won't even come up.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Are you certain there wasn't federal funding involved? My experience has been unless you apply for any federal dollars SS registration won't even come up.
Nope, it says if you don't register, you don't qualify for funding and you can get prosecuted!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Mrs1885; I'd start with the Social Security Administration to correct all of your son's records and make sure he's registered in one name only. Once that's all straightened out, I'd get the Selective Service involved. You might want to check the Selective Services' website to see if they have a nearby office or if you can document his situation on the web site. Best of luck!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 01-14-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: "Dyslexic fingers"...

Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Nope, it says if you don't register, you don't qualify for funding and you can get prosecuted!
Then there were probably federal funds involved. Was a FAFSA filled out? Some states will also deny financial aid (non-federal money) for people who don't register but I can't recall right off hand which ones. FWIW, also, I'm not aware of any prosecutions for not registering happening in a very long time...the financial aid is where they usually get those opposed to registering to give in though.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Mrs1885; I' start with the Social Security Administration to correct all of your son's records and make sure he's registered in one name only. Once that's all starightened out, I'd get the Selective Service involved. You might want to check the Selictive Service's website to see if they have a nearby office or if you can document his situation on the web site. Best of luck!
Thank you Crew Chief!! I'll do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues