Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,914 times

Advertisements

For anyone in the Navy, what are the best bases within the US i can go to? I need a really chill command that i can possibly do some school work at...currently i am on the east coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default Sailor boy

Navy wife chiming in here. No matter where you go your performance will be recognized. That said, the east coast tends to be more uptight. The further west you go, it does tend to be more laid back. Problem is that this points to Hawaii and Cali. Most people want those places, too. You gotta have some stellar performance to get your picks. Want really laid back??? Pick Guam. Think, Laid back, Island style.

Last edited by Skatergirl; 01-15-2009 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
For anyone in the Navy, what are the best bases within the US i can go to? I need a really chill command that i can possibly do some school work at...currently i am on the east coast

What's your rate?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
On the West Coast don't forget: Bremerton, Subase Bangor and Whidbey Island.

I did 1993 to 1997 homeported in the Puget Sound.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Well... I would say San Diego. It seems as though it's always warm all year round and there's always something to do. The downside is that it's expensive.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM

327 posts, read 1,050,914 times
I am a MA. Im trying to go west coast, but what i am hearing it would be hard to go out there right now since everyone is trying to go active cause of the economy and i am already on the east coast...idk, how would i go about all this??

Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM

I heard that the sure way to get to the east coast was to do a tour on a ship or get stationed in Diego Garcia. The theory is that certain places where people don't want to go on shore duty is usually the place that the detailer will most likely send you. Since you want to go to the west coast, you might have to bargain and say that you'll take a duty station that no other MA doesn't want. That should get you on the west coast. Or you could suggest neutral duty in Guam, which can count towards sea or shore duty. The benefit of this is that you'll have your pick of where you want to be stationed on the west coast.

Other ways of trying to go to the west coast is talking to the west coast detailer instead of the east coast detailer that you're used to talking to, and talking to a detailer that is above your current rank.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Cat lo, RSVN. If you ask for Guam you will get Dutch Harbor.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
General rule is: the farther from Washington DC, the better. Seems they are very lax in Pearl Harbor if you enjoy fun in the sun while doing school work.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,251 times
Default Navy wish list recommendations (ifeeldope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
I am a MA. Im trying to go west coast, but what i am hearing it would be hard to go out there right now since everyone is trying to go active cause of the economy and i am already on the east coast...idk, how would i go about all this??
ifeeldope,

Howdy shipmate and fellow MA. I was at NAS Pax River, Security Dept., and that is out in.... God forgot us out here St. Mary's County.

West Coast, having been at NS San Diego, aboard DD-945, then TAD NS Long Beach Security and finally retired out of the old CBC Port Hueneme Base, which is now NBVC. They now have the old NAS Mugu and CBC Port Hueneme bases combined into one command. I retired out of the CBC Security Department. The Security Department is comprised of both DOD and MA's as LEO's.

Not a lot of 'night life', there... at least not before. I have been hearing that Ventura, city that is, is getting to be one of 'The In Places', Kevin Costner has a restaurant/bar there. If you are into surfing or just sun and bikini eyeball liberty then you aren't far from either, sailing is good and lots of outdoor activities.

Some of the others also have posted some great suggestions, can't say I liked Diego Garcia, however I was a civilian working there way back then. As a 'Nuke SubSailor' didn't get to see much of Guam, except for the day after we flew in. Hawaii, God's gift to sailors.... but there are some problems with the BIG LOCAL BOYS. You might even like HPD (Honolulu PD), I sure did when working with them while stationed at H.A.S.P. I was fortunate as I was married to a local girl from the north shore and truthfully we didn't spend much time anywhere except the beaches and camping.

Best to you, feel free to DM me about.... whatever.

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues