Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times

Advertisements

The part for active duty starts on pg 173 of the document 187 according to Adobe.
With active duty, the families that are on Prime that go to an MTF would have to share out of pocket.
I have not read everything, but skimming though about the TFL part, it talks like retirees on TFL get to use MTF's. Do they not know that its purely on space available? Do they not realize that folks like my Grandma (she was just telling me about this yesterday) cannot even use the local MTF because they have not space available?
I dont plan on telling my Grandma anything about this....yet. She would worry too much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
This E-mail is from an email my DH received. So I guess his plan is to make sure we all get our medical records so when the door swings shut we are 'prepared'. Unless he plans on reinstating free medical for life, make room for insult to injury.

Please take action to avoid further insult to those who have had their medical for life jerked around with.

Congressional Budget Office - Budget Options, Volume 1: Health Care

I don't know how many of you partake of the Tri Care for Life program but here is a very interesting note
on the subject. Seems as though our President Elect has placed a priority on cutting it out of the budget as a means
to provide funding for those things he promised during the campaign. In any case, on page189 of the Congressional
Budget Office report, see the note below on how to get to that spot, there is a strong recommendation to eventually
eliminate the program as it is too expensive. I would ask that you contact your elected officials and register your
strong opposition to the elimination of this program. Just another move to slight those of us who dedicated much
of our adult lives to the defense of our country.
That is a slap in the face for those who served their entire careers in the military. The military personnel do not make as much money as the private sector and are put in harm's way. To take that benefit away would be a crime. My father uses Tricare For Life.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 AM

204 posts, read 876,583 times
Default Write to those who are going to vote

Your Congressperson, your Senator, Mr. Obama:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

Make your voice heard!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Wow....So much for universal health-care...

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I am a retiree.

I have Tricare underwriting a local Health coverage plan.

Keep in mind that once a retiree reaches 65 and Medicare kicks in, that Tricare fades away.

I am active in the VFW, I see many vets who are stuck having to use the VA. And I see older retirees who no longer have Tricare and are on Medicare.

Tricare is not "for life." In the context that it follows you for all of your life. It only follows you until when you should qualify for some other program.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
When you become eligible for medicare part A and purchase part B, tricare becomes a second payer (just like if you have another health insurance, tricare becomes a seconcd payer).
My Grandma who is will be 86 this year, has both A and B along with TFL. She has never paid for any of her Dr visits or had a problem using them.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:15 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Then I stand corrected.

I was under the impression that once Medicare took over they no longer dealt with Tricare.

I may have been in error.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Hmmm...Maybe this is in lieu of universal health care (UHC)? If UHC happens, why keep tricare around? With that being said, needs to happen first, then phasing out tricare, not the other way around...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Default The e-mail you quote is misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
This E-mail is from an email my DH received. So I guess his plan is to make sure we all get our medical records so when the door swings shut we are 'prepared'.... Unless he plans on reinstating free medical for life, make room for insult to injury.

Seems as though our President Elect has placed a priority on cutting it out of the budget as a means
to provide funding for those things he promised during the campaign.

Just another move to slight those of us who dedicated much of our adult lives to the defense of our country.
That was pretty darn farsighted of Obama, to get this collated, calculated, written, printed and out by December 2008. In the foreword the editor thanks his staff who, he says, worked for many months on this "product of an enormous effort" - which offers 115 options, by the way - and they were only putting the publication together. So it's likely that Obama started plotting the cost-cutting back even before he declared his candidacy two years ago. He is a wily one....
Every two years, the Congressional Budget Office
(CBO) issues a compendium of budget options to help
inform federal lawmakers about the implications of
various policy choices. Because of the major fiscal and
policy challenges associated with health care, CBO has
expanded its work in this area and divided its Budget
Options volume into two reports: this first volume focuses
solely on budget options related to health care—including
financing, delivery, and access—within federal programs
and the larger health care system.
The options compiled for this volume stem from a variety of sources, including extensive discussions
with Congressional staff; reviews of legislative proposals, the President’s budget, and
academic literature; and analyses conducted by CBO staff, other government agencies, and
private groups. Although the number of health-related policy options shown here is significantly
greater than in previous Budget Options volumes, it is not an exhaustive list: Some
options could not be included because of time constraints or analytical complexity. The inclusion
or exclusion of a particular policy change does not represent an endorsement or rejection
by CBO; to ensure impartiality, the discussion of each option summarizes arguments for and
against it. In keeping with CBO’s mandate to provide objective analysis, the report makes no
recommendations.

Budget Options Volume 1 - Health Care. Introduction
Quite a few of the CBO's roundups of budgetary suggestions for health care can be found online:

Congressional Budget Office - Health Publications 1976-2008 (http://www.cbo.gov/publications/bysubject.cfm?cat=9 - broken link)

Last edited by delusianne; 01-17-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
I came back and reread the above post, and on second view...it's unnecessarily irritable, and I apologize. I wanted everyone to realize that Barack Obama had nothing to do with this CBO publication, and that mass e-mails with an agenda sometimes are counting on us to not be too curious about their messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues