U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,079,759 times
Reputation: 266

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why?

I have all of my accounts through USAA except checking because BoA ATM's are pretty much on every installation worldwide whereas USAA will only reimburse your ATM fees up to a certain amount.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
303 posts, read 1,467,971 times
Reputation: 225
Neither.

Why don't you just get a Navy Federal Credit Union account, which allows you to write checks and use the ATMs on base; they're virtually everywhere. You could then setup an allotment to BoA so that every time you use an ATM that charges a fee, you won't have to pay one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
 
733 posts, read 1,770,959 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Which do you prefer and why?

I have all of my accounts through USAA except checking because BoA ATM's are pretty much on every installation worldwide whereas USAA will only reimburse your ATM fees up to a certain amount.
USAA....just because they have always been great to us when it came to banking. I also (like you) have another local bank I use because of convenience, but I still like USAA.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
 
2,190 posts, read 7,138,907 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Which do you prefer and why?

I have all of my accounts through USAA except checking because BoA ATM's are pretty much on every installation worldwide whereas USAA will only reimburse your ATM fees up to a certain amount.
Not a single BoA atm on my base, but plenty of branches within a few miles off base...

I like USAA because if you smart, you can get "cash back" from many places you use the card. Also if you're in a pinch and need cash but there's no BoA around, you're going to have to eat the fees...If you use USAA the fees are absorbed until you exhaust the cap...Also, USAA has deposit checks at home with your home scanner which is nice...

I personally use my AMEX Blue cash for everything for the rewards...1.5% on everything and 5% cash back for gas/supermarket/drug store...Disclaimer, in order for this to work out for you, you MUST have discipline to pay it off at the end of the month, accruing one interest payment makes this card a waste...You've always had to have excellent credit to get an AMEX card, but it's probably even more difficult now...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,079,759 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Neither.

Why don't you just get a Navy Federal Credit Union account, which allows you to write checks and use the ATMs on base; they're virtually everywhere. You could then setup an allotment to BoA so that every time you use an ATM that charges a fee, you won't have to pay one.
I don't know. I was apart of a credit union when I first joined the service. It was okay but I found having my money in a bank, especially one like BoA, to be more effective.

I've heard good things about Navy Fed though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,079,759 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Not a single BoA atm on my base, but plenty of branches within a few miles off base...

I like USAA because if you smart, you can get "cash back" from many places you use the card. Also if you're in a pinch and need cash but there's no BoA around, you're going to have to eat the fees...If you use USAA the fees are absorbed until you exhaust the cap...Also, USAA has deposit checks at home with your home scanner which is nice...

I personally use my AMEX Blue cash for everything for the rewards...1.5% on everything and 5% cash back for gas/supermarket/drug store...Disclaimer, in order for this to work out for you, you MUST have discipline to pay it off at the end of the month, accruing one interest payment makes this card a waste...You've always had to have excellent credit to get an AMEX card, but it's probably even more difficult now...
Really? Where are you stationed? Most of the installations I've ever gone to have had at least one BoA ATM.

I know what you mean about the rewards card. I have a AMEX rewards card through USAA and it's priceless. Matter of fact I just redeemed some of my points last week and got a $50 gift card to Carraba's for me and the wife
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
 
2,190 posts, read 7,138,907 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Really? Where are you stationed? Most of the installations I've ever gone to have had at least one BoA ATM.

I know what you mean about the rewards card. I have a AMEX rewards card through USAA and it's priceless. Matter of fact I just redeemed some of my points last week and got a $50 gift card to Carraba's for me and the wife
Sweet on the reward cards...

I'm in Air Force in GA...I checked BoA locator and there is indeed none within base walls, but one 1.5miles away from the base...Also, there is ZERO BoA ATMs or Locations in Mississippi, West Virginia, Vermont and North Dakota...There's also six states that have five or less...I remember I was in Keesler AFB in MS and needed to deposit a reward check when I had BoA years ago and was shocked the closest one was in Penscola FL, little over 100 miles...I just checked the locator and that's still true today
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,982 posts, read 52,123,275 times
Reputation: 21396
I enlisted in 1976 and retired in 2001.

USAA never was open to me, they did send me advertisements many times. But I was only a US service member so I was never eligible to join them.

Now that I am retired, they seem to have opened up their requirements to allow all US service members to join. How nice.

I used the Credit Unions that were on each Navy base, until they began combining together and they formed the Navy Federal CU.

NFCU has been open to all US service members since it formed.

I have been a member of NCFU for nearly 20 years.

They do a great service for US service members.

Perhaps there will come a day when a US service member can stand up and say that about USAA, but not today.

I would prefer to stay with a bank / CU that has been serving US service members since it's incorporation.



If for no other reason, than getting their junk mail for so many years, as they lie to me about my eligibility, I do not trust USAA. I have learned in fact to rather hate them lying bankers. Sending me there lying junk all these years.

Any company of integrity would tell you up front that they only serve the orifices, and would stop sending their junk to US service members. But no USAA has sent me their junk for years.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 01-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: "Salty" language; a little much for us Landlubbers...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
303 posts, read 1,467,971 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I enlisted in 1976 and retired in 2001.

USAA never was open to me, they did send me advertisements many times. But I was only a US service member so I was never eligible to join them.

Now that I am retired, they seem to have opened up their requirements to allow all US service members to join. How nice.

I used the Credit Unions that were on each Navy base, until they began combining together and they formed the Navy Federal CU.

NFCU has been open to all US service members since it formed.

I have been a member of NCFU for nearly 20 years.

They do a great service for US service members.

Perhaps there will come a day when a US service member can stand up and say that about USAA, but not today.

I would prefer to stay with a bank / CU that has been serving US service members since it's incorporation.
True, Navy Federal has been good to me also. They offer some of the highest CD rates compared to some commercial banks.

There used to be a time where you had to go overseas in order to open a bank account; that was back in 1996, but times have changed and pretty much anyone can open up a bank account with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,377 posts, read 13,843,585 times
Reputation: 34333
My wife is retired from the AER office at an Army base. She has seen many soldiers and their families having trouble with BoA, but not USAA. My stepdaughter's husband is in the Army and they use USAA and have had no trouble in about 12 years they have had it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top