Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 01:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.
Never caught one per se, but one guy who claimed to be an Army veteran turned out not to be. I think it's disgusting when people lie about being a veteran.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.
SD,

You have to remember that there are a ton of words that the fleet Navy use that we SeaBees are ignorant about . But yes your right that one must keep a check on the fake vets and their "Head Spacing and Timing" .

Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
Default Fake Veteran

My BIL served in the Philippine Army and flunked out of boot camp for US Army, he claims he's a vet what a joke. My husband served 20 yrs, 12 Navy on sub's and 8 yrs Army and I served 12 yrs Marine Corps myself. I get disgusted when he claims he's a veteran.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Ha! I loved the one who said "Marines were not part of the Navy"! Doh! He said he was an "Army Marine"!? Hello! Whatever. I once met a blind guy who said he went blind during a training exercise, that a shell went off...he told that story to EVERYONE! Well, Veterans Day was coming up, and they asked him to speak, he said he was still too "emotional" about it to speak. I found out years later that he was full of it. He went blind in a hunting accident, was never in the Army. What a loser. Now, while this may be off topic, I think the ones that really drive me crazy at the VA are the SC guys who pretend they were in combat! But really got SC for tripping over their feet while in uniform, or something stupid like that...Same as that one senator! That is more BS than I can shovel with a backhoe!!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Did you know that Dr. Ruth was a sniper? In the Israeli Defense Force. Not quite the vet one pictures eh?
I note she doesn't talk about it much .....

Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Richard Blumenthal was caught claiming he was a Vietnam veteran. H e wasn't.

My state decided he'd make a fine Senator.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
im sure when i tell people im a vet, they think im lying- i look like im 18. its especially interesting when i go to the va.
Don't feel bad, when I got back from my 2nd tour in Vietnam I had to get an LCB ID Card because no one would believe I was 21.

Ever notice how 90% of Vietnam Vets all served in the 101st Airborne?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I note she doesn't talk about it much .....
Didn't Captain Kangaroo get a Silver Star on Iwo Jima?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Don't feel bad, when I got back from my 2nd tour in Vietnam I had to get an LCB ID Card because no one would believe I was 21.

Ever notice how 90% of Vietnam Vets all served in the 101st Airborne?
And too many truckers have been SEALS/Airborne/Delta Force when they have the C.B. radio mic keyed...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
I'm not a veteran, so I need some tips from a vet about sniffing out a fake one.
My mom who is in her 60s and widowed, has this boyfriend. Affable enough, but somethings not right. The guy and I have had a few beers sometimes and he tells me about getting drafted at age 19, in 1967, so he went ahead and enlisted. Says he "joined" OCS and became a Lt. and served combat in VN. Also told me lots of stories of numerous kills that he did while there. My understanding is that only college grads can go to OCR, this guy was a 19-yo high school grad at the time. Also struck me as unusual that he can talk so easily about killing and his other wartime experiences. Other combat vets I have known don't discuss it at all. Sounds more to me like he cobbled together lots of stories from friends and movies he's seen, and made them his own. Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues