Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

I was "in danger" at work of being a fake veteran.

I was in the USMC reserves for six years, I never mentioned this to my co-workers unless they asked if I had ever been in the military. I made it a point to clarify I was a reservist however one or two of the guys were loudmouths and would tell other people I didn't work with that "John was a Marine". I had to clarify it if these other people came up to me talking about the military experiences.

I am not classified as a veteran, never claimed to be but it was uncomfortable because I never made the claim. I have since changed jobs and now if anyone asks if I was in the military I just say I was "in the reserves" and don't mention anything else.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Fool them with sea stories and achievements they accomplished that never happened?
Or I would ask them certain things about that base that only people that were stationed there knows

Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

I was in the USMC reserves for six years, I never mentioned this to my co-workers unless they asked if I had ever been in the military. I made it a point to clarify I was a reservist however one or two of the guys were loudmouths and would tell other people I didn't work with that "John was a Marine". I had to clarify it if these other people came up to me talking about the military experiences.

I am not classified as a veteran, never claimed to be but it was uncomfortable because I never made the claim. I have since changed jobs and now if anyone asks if I was in the military I just say I was "in the reserves" and don't mention anything else.
Screw that! You went through basic training and completed it so therefore you are a Marine and are a veteran. The hell that you went through in basic training is still more than they did and you deserve the same respect as an active duty veteran

Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM

76 posts, read 137,606 times
Quote:

I used to feel the same way, like completing your entire enlistment in the reserves and not active duty was somehow "less" of a military service. That all changes when they call you up and you have to halt work, put everything else in your life on hold and go.

Then you get to come back and start all over. Rebuilding relationships, getting back in the work groove, dealing with lost time and seniority in some cases. Right back to feeding yourself and paying your own bills until the Army decides they need you again.

Looking back I wish I had gone regular army to begin with... the Reserves seemed like the short end of the stick, more so the attitude that we somehow deserve less respect.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Wartrace; You are a VETERAN whether it be with duty overseas or stateside still a Military VETERAN. Stateside duty was still served in uniform.

As a Canadian I enlisted in the Canadian Army Reserves during 1945-47 (still during WW11) time period. Have my unit picture and Army discharge displayed on the wall. In essence am a Veteran of WW11.

Close by on the wall is also a discharge from the US Army (Calif National Guard) 1950-52 in addition to a shadowbox of my ribbons earned during my stay in Japon and North Korea.

Wartrace; You are still a Veteran and if asked you served but was not ordered overseas...you still did your duty...be PROUD.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:

You should still be proud of your service! I hope you are!! There were hundreds, thousands of reservist called up to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I'm do consider myself a Marine having been through bootcamp successfully however since I am not entitled to any veterans benefits I can't claim to be "a veteran". If I did claim to be a "Veteran" I feel it would be dishonest.

Thankfully we were never called up while I was in. My old unit (8th tank battalion, 4th marine division) did get called up for the Gulf war and Iraq.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
My uncle was Army National Guard. Living and serving along the Gulf of Mexico meant he was one of the units called up for active duty during the Cuban missile. He's not ashamed to say he practically pooped in his pants during that time. But he did still showed up for duty.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:

A Marine is a Marine in my opinion, reservist or non-reservist. I always half-joked that my time in the Marine reserves was more difficult than my active duty. They piled it on higher when I was in the reserves. If someone asks you about your time, you can tell them you were in the reserves. You're a Marine just as much as any of us.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post

Looking back I wish I had gone regular army to begin with... the Reserves seemed like the short end of the stick, more so the attitude that we somehow deserve less respect.
I am clueless about this. Sorry you felt that way. As a former active duty Marine that also did time in the reserves and the daughter of a Marine that was in Korea and Vietnam (who indoctrinated me about his military beliefs all of my life, including an ongoing aversion to Jane Fonda), I can tell you I never felt this way nor heard anyone speak badly of reservists. Honestly.

Last edited by 1+1=5; 11-11-2012 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues