Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,249,605 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I have seen that paperwork, claiming preference as a veteran business or woman owned or minority business...disabled...but never thought about the verification aspecct. Hmmm.....a person just checks the box regarding what category their business fits.

Wow. That is messed up.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,175,792 times
did anybody get to see dr. phil rip tim poe to shreds? man, it was beautiful, and i don't even like dr. phil all that much! in case some of you don't know who tim poe is. he's that POS who went on america's got talent and claimed he was injured by a grenade attack. he also claims to have a purple heart. he did serve in the army, but was never injured.

check out the dr. phil clip right here

Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,429,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
What's that they say about the truth getting in the way of a good story? You might have to make some stuff up.

Over the years I've read up on experiences in previous wars, mostly Vietnam and Korea. In contrast to my own experiences it's hard not to feel like a "fake" veteran, ya know? All we did during Desert Storm is crossed the border, drove north for about three days, had a nice lunch, drove back. The only (ONLY) difference between this and what we did on any normal FTX was that we had live ammo and fewer trees.

(Incidentally it was on that third day when I discovered how much of a piece of crap the M-16 really is, but that's another story.)
My family was very disappointed with my Desert Storm war stories. We went around in circles. One morning we turned on the BBC radio and found out we took over an island. Most exciting parts were seeing a mine float past the ship and missile inbound. Other than that and the constant drills, it was a snooze fest. My personal belief is the more exciting the story, the greater chance it is a lie, or a heavily enhanced story with one part truth and three parts fiction.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,982,921 times
A few years ago I attended a birthday party, the person was having his 42nd birthday, as I was sitting there he found out I was a Vietnam Veteran so he proceeded to tell me his experiences in Vietnam. This guy was Special Forces, a sniper and almost single handed wiped out a company of NVA. After he was finished I looked at him and ask if he was drafted or enlisted, he said he enlisted. I proceeded to tell him that the Army really wasn't in the habit of accepting a 9 year old for enlistment, you would have been 11 years old when the last US troops were pulled out of VN, that means that if you were Special Forces you would have been in the Army for a least 2 years before going to VN, the math just doesn't work out. The guy just looked at me and walked off, I got up and told everyone, in a loud voice, that this guy was full of crap, then I left the party.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,219,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
A few years ago I attended a birthday party, the person was having his 42nd birthday, as I was sitting there he found out I was a Vietnam Veteran so he proceeded to tell me his experiences in Vietnam. This guy was Special Forces, a sniper and almost single handed wiped out a company of NVA. After he was finished I looked at him and ask if he was drafted or enlisted, he said he enlisted. I proceeded to tell him that the Army really wasn't in the habit of accepting a 9 year old for enlistment, you would have been 11 years old when the last US troops were pulled out of VN, that means that if you were Special Forces you would have been in the Army for a least 2 years before going to VN, the math just doesn't work out. The guy just looked at me and walked off, I got up and told everyone, in a loud voice, that this guy was full of crap, then I left the party.

Good thing you didn't get into an argument over it with him. Those guys who served in Vietnam before they were 14 are pretty tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
In the book, "Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets" (and in the TV show based on it), there is a story about two guys who were drinking together at a bar and get into an argument. They pull knives and stab each other, both fatally.

When the police get there, the barmaid says that two guys had been drinking and talking peaceably, when they got to talking about their service in Vietnam. They started arguing about which one's unit had been the tougher unit, and the argument escalated until they killed each other.

When the police checked the dead guys' I.D.'s, they found that when the war in Vietnam ended, one of the guys was 13 and the other was 11.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,107,041 times
Where I work theres a fella who claimed to have been a Marines. Now being a retired SeaBee I know that most if not all of our training and combat training mirrors our brothers in the Marines. This young fella tried to tell me that right out of boot he was stationed in England and Japan. When I asked him, "were you an east coasty our a west coasty". He had no idea what I was talking about, to include that he had no idea what a (Amphibious Readiness Group) {ARG} was. Needless yo say, he voids me at all cost

Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,280,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Where I work theres a fella who claimed to have been a Marines. Now being a retired SeaBee I know that most if not all of our training and combat training mirrors our brothers in the Marines. This young fella tried to tell me that right out of boot he was stationed in England and Japan. When I asked him, "were you an east coasty our a west coasty". He had no idea what I was talking about, to include that he had no idea what a (Amphibious Readiness Group) {ARG} was. Needless yo say, he voids me at all cost

Thats funny because even I know the difference between the "hollywood Marines" and the ones from Parish Island and I'm a "Zoomie"

Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,051,189 times
I just don't understand why. How does someone get satisfaction with lying about their life? What do they gain, some strangers giving them a pat on the back?

I mean, you figure that the shame of being called out as a fraud would over ride any pats on the back for getting away with lying.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM

5,039 posts, read 6,321,363 times
Every once in awhile you'll get a psycho who IS a veteran, but feels compelled to play up what kind-claiming to be super spec-ops rogue warrior type when in reality, is a clerk/typist or something.

I knew a young lady who was PCSed to my unit. When she arrived she claimed to have been a Captain serving as a team leader in a special operations unit, but they 'lost her paperwork' so she lost her clearance and was reclassed to an enlisted MOS. Besides the incredible implausability in the first place, she was ~26. Just enough time to make Captain in the FIRST place if she had commissioned at 22. In the second place, I personally knew her prior company commander who confirmed she was just joe average enlisted and had been in his unit for the previous 2 years.

This was a real, legitimate active duty soldier playing this game. A little one on one counseling from our Sergeant Major fixed her.

To this day I'm not sure why she felt compelled to do that. I think she felt ashamed of being a support MOS or something.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,429,800 times
I think every command has had a major BS artist. We had one guy who told stories so unbelievable that even the dumbest rube wouldn't believe him and the more we didn't believe him, the more he insisted they were true and tell us another whopper. This E-3 even got to the point of claiming he had a fleet of sports cars, high performance motorcycle, the best truck inthe world, a racing motorboat, and a helicopter. He once claimed he had his friend drive his truck at 80 MPH with the tailgate down as he followed on his super bike. He said he popped a wheelie, hit the gas, and rolled into the truck safely. He even pulled a woman's photo from a catalog and tried to claim that was his girlfriend. Funny that this was his ONLY photo of her and never one of him with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues