Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times

Advertisements

I rarely mention having served, especially in the Corps..it only attracts these nutjobs, despite me telling them I did absolutely nothing special or exciting...I didn't even go to Okinawa despite doing almost 5 years (medical Honorable discharge on my extended enlistment). They seem dead set on "impressing" me despite my not giving one iota if they served or not! I value people on their actions and integrity of what I can see...not some hero story they lay out!

I'll take a person with integrity whom never served over a special forces vet whom lies, cheats and steals any day! ...Sad to say that there ARE actual heroes that have no moral fiber anymore (If ever) and think the world owes them a living for their service...I've met my share of them too!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I rarely mention having served, especially in the Corps..it only attracts these nutjobs, despite me telling them I did absolutely nothing special or exciting...I didn't even go to Okinawa despite doing almost 5 years (medical Honorable discharge on my extended enlistment). They seem dead set on "impressing" me despite my not giving one iota if they served or not! I value people on their actions and integrity of what I can see...not some hero story they lay out!

I'll take a person with integrity whom never served over a special forces vet whom lies, cheats and steals any day! ...Sad to say that there ARE actual heroes that have no moral fiber anymore (If ever) and think the world owes them a living for their service...I've met my share of them too!
A few things:

1. I have not met too many out and out fabricators but there are quite a few FOBBITS who spent their entire tour inside the wire at BIAP, BAF, or KAF that claim to have seen more action than they did.

2. A lot of guys need to eat so they cash in on what they are able to. If you completed BUDS you sell yourself as a kick ass hijab hunter. I don't blame the dude who wrote the Bin laden story for cashing in. That's the American way.

You think every SEAL or Delta operator goes on to be a CIA Ops Officer or Federal Agent? Nope. They often are working the night shift at Walmart.

And that's ok.

3. Valor in battle is no guarantee of morality or ethics. The Special Forces community has a large sense of entitlement because they are deified by our country...perhaps rightfully so...I would rather deify a SEAL than a pro athlete anyday...but what happens is some E-6 gets to big for his breeches and thinks he is entitled to cheating on his TDY allowances and claiming per diem (s) that he is not entitled to. He does this because he makes crap--comparatively speaking--and figures the extra 1500 a month is no big deal...but it all goes down hill from there.

The military serves the civilian chain of command. It is a means to an end. Not the end itself. The USA is not egypt. Sometimes we forget that.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 PM

^^^I agree... Part of integrity though has to do with not making excuses because you feel shorted...sure Pro Athletes get obscene money...but you KNOW that going in!

If you're AGAINST it simply boycott all sports, shows, memorabilia and the like...

Fact is MANY more people can be special forces than the big $ sports guys! Like actors, there are many MANY who get lower $ and a few whom can command the stage (briefly) and the money! ...it's the MARKET and not someone sitting there just deciding what people should earn.

If it were easy and common everyone would be a sports star....and pay would drop!

No matter what, cheating is cheating...it doesn't matter that you FEEL cheated! Integrity IS doing the right thing when no one is looking....or in the face of opposition.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
^^^I agree... Part of integrity though has to do with not making excuses because you feel shorted...sure Pro Athletes get obscene money...but you KNOW that going in!

If you're AGAINST it simply boycott all sports, shows, memorabilia and the like...

Fact is MANY more people can be special forces than the big $ sports guys! Like actors, there are many MANY who get lower $ and a few whom can command the stage (briefly) and the money! ...it's the MARKET and not someone sitting there just deciding what people should earn.

If it were easy and common everyone would be a sports star....and pay would drop!

No matter what, cheating is cheating...it doesn't matter that you FEEL cheated! Integrity IS doing the right thing when no one is looking....or in the face of opposition.
Salary and value to society are not correlated.

If you are in the NFL or NBA you are there because god gave you immense talents. None of us have the genes to be a pro athlete.

If you complete BUDS you earned it. You are mentally tough. Everyman can complete it if they can swim well enough, but very few can sit their ass in the surf and freeze their butt off and not quit for months on 3 hours of sleep each night.

That's why i value the SEAL more than some pampered ass pro athlete.

But yea, cheating is not ok.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Salary and value to society are not correlated.
...Quote me where I said it was....

You must first understand the difference between "value to society" and MARKET....

You can value whatever you like over another...it doesn't change why/how the different people are PAID! It's marketability and that most often comes with RARITY! ...Please try and understand the conversation before-picking the difference between apples and trucks.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
...Quote me where I said it was....

You must first understand the difference between "value to society" and MARKET....

You can value whatever you like over another...it doesn't change why/how the different people are PAID! It's marketability and that most often comes with RARITY! ...Please try and understand the conversation before-picking the difference between apples and trucks.
I understand your point;i simply chose to engage another one.

the term used in econ class is scarcity not rarity BTW.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM

222 posts, read 231,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.

Lots of Vietnam Era frauds. Usually forget to lie about their ages. Many of the frauds surfaced during GW Bush elections against Gore and Kerry.

Also, so many Vietnam Era vets have upgraded discharges it's a joke.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM

222 posts, read 231,805 times
Quote:

hear, hear...

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
Lots of Vietnam Era frauds. Usually forget to lie about their ages. Many of the frauds surfaced during GW Bush elections against Gore and Kerry.

Also, so many Vietnam Era vets have upgraded discharges it's a joke.
That and the fact that so many have no idea what time period was the Vietnam war nor could they do the math in their head to figure out age a vietman vet would be today. It's sad that some high school and college students cannot correctly name our nation's allies and enemies during WW2 nor even what time period was the war.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:

You nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues