Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times

Advertisements

Back in the early 60's, an older neighbor of mine was home on leave from the Air Force and describing what he did.

It sure sounded like an Air Force version of the SEALS.

Did the Air Force have any special forces back then?

He usually was an honest/straight shooter type of guy.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:16 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Back in the early 60's, an older neighbor of mine was home on leave from the Air Force and describing what he did.

Pararescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...rce_Pararescue

Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 PM

118 posts, read 280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, so he confessed he was not a Marine. What seems to be the problem now?

There are NO real Marines will admit that they are not Marines when confronted, period. (there is an exception to every rule.) I am just a civilian but this much I do know.

However, you only know that this young man's stories are not consistent. He might be trolling the site, or he might suffer from severe mental issues. You simply don't know what he has been through. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, I also try to take everything people say on the internet with a grain of salt .
I should take that salt. Now I'm being told by someone else that his statement 'I was never a Marine, I lied' was merely sarcasm.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
His story was quite pathetic.

Younger lad.

He tells all when asked.

He did "special" boot camp in Afghanistan. Army. No boot camp in USA.

But when asked if he was a "veteran" he stated no. As all was top secret.

Interesting what yarn some will spin. And for what reason?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 PM

103 posts, read 134,875 times
My old karate instructor was legit military (Navy) but his stories were ridiculous. It wasn't until years after I'd left that I learned that his whole "had Fidel in my sights but was told to let him go" story was bull.

I look at fake vets with pity (and sometimes humor, but it's the guys who had perfectly legit careers that I can't understand. I read about a man who was claiming to be some 30-year hotshot. He'd actually done about 20 years. His career was (arguably) average, but it was very admirable. Why muck it up with BS? Not everybody can be rappelling out of helicopters and whatnot.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
they also had Pathfinders

Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post

USAF Combat Control Teams, also. My late boss was one, it was hard to follow his stories in Vietnam and Laos until his funeral when a bunch of his comrades were at the memorial, and they validated his career. Those guys did some wild-a$$ stuff.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaLineman View Post
Every male you talk to in a tavern was in the Marines and saw action. Pretty easy to sort out. Where did you do basic? If the answer is anywhere but Camp Pendleton or Parris Island you know they are liars. And if they say Parris Island or Camp Pendleton and they don't know what "yellow footprints" are, you know they are liars. Do you call them out on it? Naw, just laugh and move on.
They moved boot camp from MCRD San Diego to Camp Pendleton? Who knew.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Love this thread. I usually make it a point to challenge pan handlers as to their veteran status. I'll ask them branch of service, where they served, etc. You can figure out who is full of crap pretty quickly just by asking general questions. It bothers me that people use this status as a way to take advantage of tourists, etc. I did have one guy show me his VA Benefits ID card though, and I thanked him for his service. I was with my son, and after I thanked him he looked at my boy and said "Don't ever do drugs or become an alcoholic, because that's what happened to me and why I'm here doing this." He's the only pan handler I've ever give a cent to.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:37 AM

73 posts, read 78,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
They moved boot camp from MCRD San Diego to Camp Pendleton? Who knew.
Yes it is moved! No more Hollywood Marines! (you know BS when you see it! LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues