Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I believe that to not be accurate based on my own past observations at the DoD Level... I would like to see some verifiable data.

This thread was bumped and I didn't see your post until now...

Of course I can only offer anecdotal evidence. I left the service many years ago (although my wife still serves).

I served with multiple people on AD who left other branches to join the AF. I never knew anyone who left the AF to join another branch.

A friend of ours was AD Army, joined the Naval Reserves, and then ended up in the ANG. One of the ladies who works for me is married to a Marine who is now trying to get into the AF.

Again, anecdotal, but I deployed with members of every branch and I consistently heard "man, I should have joined the Air Force." I never once heard an Airman say "I wish I had joined xxx instead of the Air Force."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I never once heard an Airman say
So both our claimed experiences are different....

Old 06-06-2015, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Ashley,
I'm female, I joined the AF when I was 18. I have never regretted it. But everyone is different.
If you have a bachelors, you can sometimes join as an officer... more pay, more responsibility.

I can tell you that right now, after 8 years, I make $50K a year. Keep in mind that most pay charts have your regular pay, but you also get allowances. Your allowances increase if you live somewhere more expensive... I know $50K is a lot of money in some places, and peanuts in others... so it does get adjusted.

The benefits are great. 100% of your tuition while your in (some limits to that), and the GI Bill when you get out.

All medical, dental, RX, eye (except contact lenses themselves), etc, is covered. They will even cover plastic surgery (limited circumstances), braces, corrective eye surgery, etc. They really take care of you.

7am-3pm, 5 days a week... but some have worse schedules.

I have only had to move once in 8 years. So you can have some stability, others move more often and actually try to move.

There are a lot of people who will complain about aspects of the Air Force, but it's agreeable if you go after what you want.

Both of my assignments to bases, I have had control over. I actually sought to get assigned to San Antonio, and was. Some people just wait for assignments to magically fall out of the sky. Understand that it will always be what you make of it. You have to take the bull by the horns.

Public health does things like check food safety in the on base dining facilities and the hospital. They also might track immunizations. They actually track and interview people with STD's, and then notify their sexual partners. That's about all I know.

Public affairs deals with civilian news agencies, to issue press releases, etc. They also deal with public relations... imagine if the base were hosting a dinner and the local mayor were coming, public affairs would check the script, reserved parking, seating arrangements, etc, to make sure that all the proper respects were paid. They are also involved in writing the base newspaper, and some Air Force wide publications. Check out "Airman Magazine" I think you can find it online and it has good "insider" type info. You'll get an idea about the "culture" from it.

Also check out [url=http://www.afmentor.com]AF Mentor[/url]. Some of it might not make sense, but good indicator of our "culture'

As far as "Services"... you won't get to be a "chef". They might train you to cook "chow hall" foods, but not culinary quality. After you are in for 4 years, you can find opportunities to go to culinary school. Becoming a General's Aide, or Flight attendant are two ways to get to go to culinary school... but I don't think it's an extensive culinary program. With services, I think you will also do things like work customer service at the base gym, and a few other things... I'm not sure.

Enlisted dental techs pretty much do all the teeth cleanings, x-rays, molds, appointment making, records keeping, and things that a regular dental tech would do in any civilian dental office.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Hi, my name is Marico and there's so much I want to understand about the Airforce. I read your comment about her questions and I feel like you could help me. Please email me at [email]maricodavis@gmail.com[/email]. There's many things I'd like to discuss with you. Thank you!

Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
I'm strongly considering the air force. I would like to become a hygienist! I've been working as a dental assistant over two years now. Have certificate and everything.

If I join the air force to stay as an assistant would I have to do dental assisting school all over again?? Or skip it. And is there a possibility for me to go into dental hygiene??!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
So I'm a sophomore in high school and am thinking about joining the AF. I know that I want to go into dentistry and need all the advice I can get because I still have many options and am still unsure about joining.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The necessary score varies by what's needed for training in a particular skill. The higher your score, the more skills are available to you.

Yes, there are practice tests online. The test is computerized. It's designed to start you with easy questions that get harder and harder until you reach your limit in each area.
How accurate are those online tests though? I keep seeing that the minimum score needed for the air force is 36, but 50 or higher is recommended. On a whim, I took the linked test above, and scored a 79. But I wonder if the test on that link is really a suitable "test" to see how someone would do on the ASVAB versus *actual* ASVAB practice tests.

** let it be noted: I am not joining the Air Force, but my son or daughter might be interested in the future (they are only in middle school right now).

Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
How accurate are those online tests though? I keep seeing that the minimum score needed for the air force is 36, but 50 or higher is recommended. On a whim, I took the linked test above, and scored a 79. But I wonder if the test on that link is really a suitable "test" to see how someone would do on the ASVAB versus *actual* ASVAB practice tests.

** let it be noted: I am not joining the Air Force, but my son or daughter might be interested in the future (they are only in middle school right now).
The test is accurate with regard to the types of questions found on the actual ASVAB. Taking the sample test two or three times should give someone a pretty good idea of his or her current abilities in each area.

Although it's not a test that can be studied for, it is a test that can be prepared for.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee_18 View Post
So I'm a sophomore in high school and am thinking about joining the AF. I know that I want to go into dentistry and need all the advice I can get because I still have many options and am still unsure about joining.
We have dental scholarships- google "Air Force Dental HPSP" and "Air Force Dental FAP" for more info.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Hi everyone so I have a question. I just recently thought about joining the air force i have my bachelors in psychology(major) and social work(minor). The 2 things that scare me the most is sexual harassment and or sexual assault. Does this happen often to women in the air force? Is it something that should worry me? and also being away from home. I never went away from home in my life not even for college. So i was wondering how that took a toll on you guys? thank you i will appreciate your inside so much.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1123 View Post
Hi everyone so I have a question. I just recently thought about joining the air force i have my bachelors in psychology(major) and social work(minor). The 2 things that scare me the most is sexual harassment and or sexual assault. Does this happen often to women in the air force? Is it something that should worry me?

Statistically, you were in more danger in college.

Quote:
and also being away from home. I never went away from home in my life not even for college. So i was wondering how that took a toll on you guys? thank you i will appreciate your inside so much.

The military exists for foreign service. Although it's possible to get Air Force jobs that will keep you in the CONUS (continental US)--like ballistic missile crews--those jobs have other disadvantages. You should expect a military career to move you. Moreover, the best way to "play the game" to your advantage is to leap before they push...volunteer liberally for overseas tours you'd prefer before they send you someplace less pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues