Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times

Advertisements

Korea 1957-58
Too cold in the winter for a Southern boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,170 times
Fort Irwin, CA was my worst duty station-- hands down. That was a miserable place to be stationed and live.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
1993. Palace Barracks, Holywood, Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Hadn't been in long and this was my first time in Northern Ireland. Was only 6 months and the worst of "The Troubles" was over but you only left the barracks in a vehicle and the locals didn't exactly love us. Belfast was not the best place to be wearing a maroon beret.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycoastie View Post
I cannot believe there isn't one person who has said New Jersey. Specifically Bayonne, but in my opinion its crappy all around. Let me first state that while there are some ( I stress some) good people here, the rest are inconsiderate, uncouth and uneducated. Here I was thinking a California highway (though beautiful and fun) was insane to drive on; my husband gets stationed in North Jersey and I realize that the highways (if you can call them that) here are infested with the worst drivers in the world! The roads are hazardous on their own with all of the pot holes and litter, however some drivers will disregard the traffic laws all together, nearly killing you. It also seems to be a common practice to ride the a$$ of the car in front of them as if their lives depended on it. No one has manners and knows how to say please or thank you. They just walk past you as if they expect you to always open the door for them. I am also wondering what kind of hell ( I know now) these people have grown up with because when you are kind to them, they look at you like you are crazy. They dont even let you pump your own gas here because they think you'll set yourself on fire. Yeah, perhaps the illegals or idiots who live here would. Now to get to the actual station, the worst place regardless. DO NOT TRY FOR SECTOR NY (Bayonne, nj). You'll be sorry.....
Although I've never been stationed in NJ, I trucked all over NJ after my retirement and found it had a very interesting "feel" to it. Yeah, you have to understand that Jerseyites are crammed together in close proximity (especially in places like Bayonne) and, as a result, tend to be brusque in their dealings with others. But I always enjoyed the gritty, industrial-strength beauty of things like the Pulaski Skyway. And I LOVE those NJ diners! I actually had a local take me to my delivery in his car once!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Nellis afb is the truly the worst base ever! All of the buildings are run down, broken and in total disrepair. The people who work on this base are just as bad. Call pretty much to any office and you'll be met w/ "I don't have time for this, I don't know" excuses. Totally worthless! Avoid Vegas/Nellis at all costs!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalbeetle View Post
Patuxent River NAS.....the land of inconvenience...where happiness goes to die. A one horse town!
The town was Lexington Park. Spent about a year there at the Marine Barracks.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Ellsworth AFB. I think booze was invented for the military.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
From a former military wife:

Best assignment - tie between Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD and Aschaffenburg, Germany

Worst assignment - FORT HOOD TEXAS - HANDS DOWN. I hated that post, hated that area, hated the housing, UGH. The towns around Fort Hood are ugly, scruffy, blech.

It does have one positive though - it's close proximity to the Hill Country of Texas, which is beautiful. My advice is, if you're stationed at Fort Hood, take lots of day trips on the weekend.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
From a former military wife:

Best assignment - tie between Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD and Aschaffenburg, Germany

Worst assignment - FORT HOOD TEXAS - HANDS DOWN. I hated that post, hated that area, hated the housing, UGH. The towns around Fort Hood are ugly, scruffy, blech.

It does have one positive though - it's close proximity to the Hill Country of Texas, which is beautiful. My advice is, if you're stationed at Fort Hood, take lots of day trips on the weekend.
AMEN, KathrynAragon! I was stationed at Laughlin AFB, TX (Del Rio) It lies in Val Verde County, one of the poorest in TX. I thought I was gonna HATE it. Well, there's a lot to dislike in the area if you dwell on it. But Laughlin turned out to be a pretty good assignment. I did venture out (loved the aforementioned Hill Country!) and even San Antonio and other sights in TX. The assignment was also professionally a good one, and I spent a lot of time with college work, as well. At least TX has really good fajitas...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 AM

88 posts, read 235,100 times
1. Peterson AFB, Colorado (AFSPC)
2. Al Udeid AB, Qatar (CENTCOM)
3. Latina, Italy (NATO)
4. Osan AB, Korea (PACAF)
5. Geilenkirchen AB, Germany (NATO)

Korea would be my least favorite but it wasn't THAT bad. Sure my luck is going to run out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues