Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,605 times

Advertisements

I just made GM3 and I am currently stationed at the US Naval Academy, up for orders in June...I am going to be able to get orders to whatever sea duty I want thanks to a VERY senior boatswains mate I work with and I'm looking to find out how life is in Japan, both on base and off. My basic questions are : 1. Would I be able to move off base, how long would that take? 2. What is the liberty policy for E-4, I have heard they are sticklers on liberty in Yokuska..? 3. Most likely stationed on USS George Washington...whats that like? 4. What does a GM3 do on-board the ship? If you have any helpful hints or advice, please let me know, as well as where you would choose if you could go anywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Retired Airman here; is GM 3 a "Gunnery Mate, 3rd Class? Or did I guess wrong...

Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,795 times
I don't think that you'll be able to move off base since you're E-4. The majority that get to move off base are E-5. There's a strong possibility that you may have to live on ship or live in the barracks. If you're married, there is a long waiting list, something like a year or so.

The liberty policy varies depending on the incidents that have occurred on/off base. If there have been some liberty incidents then your rank will be a determining factor of when liberty expires. I've heard some instances where liberty would expire at midnight for E-4 and below.

I don't know what it's like to be stationed on a carrier, but on a destroyer there's probably about 6 GM's that operate and maintain the five inch guns. When doing a weapons onload, there will be working parties that you will be in charge of, mostly ensuring that the rounds are where they need to be and ensuring they have the proper inventory for deployment i.e. powder, practice rounds, willie pete. Also during general quarters, you will be in charge of about five people that will help load the five inch with powder and rounds. When underway I never see the GM's so, I don't know what they're schedule is like, but if there's one thing that I have seen all the time is that they work on the 5 inch guns making sure that they work; if the gun doesn't work the whole ship knows about it, so there's some pressure lol.

Generally, on a carrier, you'll find that you specialize in something, so you won't be a jack of all trades like on a destroyer. If you're content with that, then you've probably made the right choice to choose the George Washington. As for choice of duty station I would say pick Hawaii, but that's just me.

Also, one thing that I also forgot was that you will need to go "cranking" which means you will be a food service attendant on the mess decks for about six to nine months. Everyone, that's E-4 and below has to do it.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
How true...during Nam my son was a radio operater on the Oklahoma but still had to do the mess detail on first arrival aboard the ship. He hated it but survived. Steve

Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
How would you be stationed on the GW, when the GW will be out to sea very soon?
From what my boyfriend tells me, yes, there are sticklers on liberty in Yakosuka.He is hardly ever free.
He also tells me that they indoc you on another ship entirely, then after your classes are over with you are finally moved onto the GW.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 03-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Cut months.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
How would you be stationed on the GW, when the GW will be out to sea in June? It leaves port in May.
From what my boyfriend tells me, yes, there are sticklers on liberty in Yakosuka.He is hardly ever free.
He also tells me that they indoc you on another ship entirely, then after your classes are over with you are finally moved onto the GW.
If they're going out to sea and coming back, he will stay in TPU. If they are going on westpac, they will fly him out.

Please don't give dates of ships movements.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
If they're going out to sea and coming back, he will stay in TPU. If they are going on westpac, they will fly him out.

Please don't give dates of ships movements.
Exact date wasnt given, and dates change all the time...how does the month hurt?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Exact date wasnt given, and dates change all the time...how does the month hurt?
The ships schedule is classified whether it is official or not. I could understand telling family members, but disclosing that type of information on a message board isn't very wise.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM

My apologies then.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,605 times
Thank you. I am really hoping to make 2nd in september, and get a C school in transit, but fingers crossed!!!! do you think it'd be better to be on a destroyer or amphib than the carrier, or just different??? your preferences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues