Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 66,826 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently stationed at McChord AFB in Washington and are looking to PCS here soon. While it is beautiful here and we love the area (MINUS THE RAIN!), my husband's supervision is horrible and we can't seem to catch a break here. In the past 8 years in my husband's military career he has been a star airman and since coming here, he is hanging by a thread. We are hoping to get to a new base and start fresh and rebuild the good career that he deserves and truly has earned time and time again.

So, we are trying to decide now where we would like to go. Parts of us want to stick to this side of the US to keep some of outdoorsy feel and on the other hand we wonder if we should go further south and experience a new place and a new way of living. We do prefer smaller town feel but would also hope to have decent access to a nice restaurant once in a while and to be able to go shopping. So maybe within a reasonable distance. Anyway, If we are going to stay in until retirement we felt that maybe we should take the opportunity to experience more... But are on the fence exactly what we'd be happiest with.

Bases we are considering are:
Arnold AFB in TN
Peterson AFB in CO
Hill AFB in UT
Mountain Home in ID
Barksdale AFB in LA
Malmstrom AFB in MT
Dover AFB in DE

Only one of those we have any Idea about is Dover because my husband was stationed there before he moved here and we met and got married. He didnt care for it there much but at least we know what to expect there if all else fails...

So as you can see some of our ideas for now are pretty different... Anyone have any thoughts on these bases and their areas? Also any other ideas?

Thanks so much for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalls08 View Post
My husband and I are currently stationed at McChord AFB in Washington and are looking to PCS here soon. While it is beautiful here and we love the area (MINUS THE RAIN!), my husband's supervision is horrible and we can't seem to catch a break here. In the past 8 years in my husband's military career he has been a star airman and since coming here, he is hanging by a thread. We are hoping to get to a new base and start fresh and rebuild the good career that he deserves and truly has earned time and time again.

So, we are trying to decide now where we would like to go. Parts of us want to stick to this side of the US to keep some of outdoorsy feel and on the other hand we wonder if we should go further south and experience a new place and a new way of living. We do prefer smaller town feel but would also hope to have decent access to a nice restaurant once in a while and to be able to go shopping. So maybe within a reasonable distance. Anyway, If we are going to stay in until retirement we felt that maybe we should take the opportunity to experience more... But are on the fence exactly what we'd be happiest with.

Bases we are considering are:
Arnold AFB in TN
Peterson AFB in CO
Hill AFB in UT
Mountain Home in ID
Barksdale AFB in LA
Malmstrom AFB in MT
Dover AFB in DE

Only one of those we have any Idea about is Dover because my husband was stationed there before he moved here and we met and got married. He didnt care for it there much but at least we know what to expect there if all else fails...

So as you can see some of our ideas for now are pretty different... Anyone have any thoughts on these bases and their areas? Also any other ideas?

Thanks so much for the help!!!
Malmstrom was a missile based and the area according to my old friends is a bit desolate.I was stationed at Whiteman when it was a missile base and left just before the stealth bomber got there.Wild life all around (deer,raccoons,etc...) and very quiet small towns.45 minutes-1 hour away is Independence and KC Missouri which are obviously big cities with nice restaurants,malls,etc...Barksdale you might want to avoid because Louisianna hasn't fully recovered,the other bases I can't help you with because I don't know much about them.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I have heard Hill is nice.

Are you putting a dream sheet together or are you actually going to get to choose? Are you doing a base of preference reenlistment?

And since you are CONUS right now, aren't you likely to get OCONUS orders next?

Just curious because that seems like a lot of choices.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Why not try overseas? I spent more than 13 years overseas and enjoyed the different cultures, not to mention helping to get promoted. Staying in one location too long usually does not help promotions.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
TheHalls08, you don't mention it in your post, but I'm assuming that you & hubby are ONLY considering bases where your hubby's AFSC can be used. For example, if he's an F-15 crew chief, there's no sense putting a base that has B-52's assigned on your dream sheet.

Beyond that, every base has some good and bad points. Even the ones that you hear so many "bad" things about have plenty of folks that LOVE being there or really enjoyed their assignment there. I had heard for years what a bad assignment Mountain Home AFB, ID was. I spent my last two years there and we LOVED it. And. on top of that, I had one of the best jobs of my whole career there.

MHAFB is 50 miles East of Boise and still has that 'small town" feel. But Boise has everything a good city can offer. Southern Idaho is on a high desert plateau, but the mountains are close enough to see and the central & northern parts of the state are VERY scenic. Southern ID still offers hunting & fishing (the Snake River is awesome!)

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
Like Steelman said, you should consider overseas also. I hear good things about it and I hear the unit are more tight-knit (?). I haven't been OCONUS but I'd jump at a chance if given. If you still want to outdoorsy feel, I would think Hill has lots of skiing activity, I've gone TDY there before and it seems like the same climate as Washington (lived in WA state a while ago also) sans the rain. I'm over in Little Rock right now, there are LOTS of outdoor activities to consider here (and a small town feel) and the base is pretty small.

Good luck though...PCS experiences definitely broadens your horizon..who knows where your mind will be in a couple of these moves )

Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM

163 posts, read 669,594 times
I use to be stationed in New Orleans and went a Barksdale a few times up in Shreveport and I would also stay away, just the area, and Louisiana in general.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
"Smaller" town and "descent access" means different things to different people, but the majority of the AD USAF bases would fit that description. If one is a "lifer" in the military, after going overseas, I think anywhere in FL is a great assignment. So much to do, lots of freebies such as disney, busch gardens, seaworld and universal. I believe they're all free even if you're not military but are a FL resident. Bike week daytona, spring break in PCB...Also each major city always has some sort of festivals.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
I am not sure what is driving the assignment and the bases you listed but assume like crew chief that these are possibilities for you because of your husbands AFSC. I agree with the posters who mentioned overseas. If you have not been and that is an option, I would highly suggest considering that option. Every base/area has pluses and minuses and to a large degree, the location is what you make of it. Work circumstances can be good or bad and often change with the leadership turnover but your attitude and experience in the local community really can make or break the assignment.. I would suggest going in to the threads on each of these areas and asking what folks love or hate about the area and see what fits your families interests. Once you have an assignment, go in to it with a positive attitude.. As they say, "The 2 best assignment in the AF are the one you just left and the one you are going to."

Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
If you're looking for a base with that small town feeling, I think you'd be very pleased with Arnold AFB in TN. A small, quiet base about in the middle between Nashville and Chattanooga. The people are very friendly and it's a quiet area -- and you won't have to deal with all the rain! Good luck no matter where you land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues