Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
My husband got out of the Marines YEARS ago and still wears it high and tight.

I work with a lot of former Military and the same goes.
Like Tkramer says....less muss less fuss.
Mine, too. To me, there is nothing like a military cut...very sexy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
. behind every silly appearance there was a woman that told him he looked good that way.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
. behind every silly appearance there was a woman that told him he looked good that way.
Sorry Huckleberry (love your name btw), there is nothing silly about a military mans appearance! Personally, I am partial to Marines. Nothing like a man in uniform......

What branch did you serve in?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
I've kept my hair within AF standards for the last 11 years since retiring. However, I shaved it off two months ago to join my wife who lost her hair during chemotherapy.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically it more a tradition but in cases where they get called up its for medcial reasons.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
In the Navy: No hair longer than 3 inches, no hair touching the ears, no hair touching the collar, and the sides and back of the head must be 'tapered' [not blocked].

Beards can not have any individual hair longer than 3/4 inch, the bulk of the beard must lay within 1/2 inch from the face, and the growth of hair must be continuous [if there is a mustache and a beard they must connect, there can not be any dis-connected growths of hair anywhere on a sailors face]

I volunteered as a barber on subs when I was not on shift.

About 50% of my career I wore a full beard. In 1985 beards were restricted to "at sea" only. At sea beards were still common as late as 2000.

By the time when I retired in 2001, most guys were wearing the marine-looking buzz cuts. It was largely about Evals. If you could be marked down for sloppy appearance, and that could keep you from advancing, then by having a buzz-cut you look less sloppy and have one less worry. Also you can then lose the comb. Both showering and dressing becomes faster.

I still buzz-cut my head, I use a #2 clipper. It is fast, it only needs to be done once a month, I do not have to pay a barber, and it is convenient.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM

657 posts, read 1,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In the Navy: No hair longer than 3 inches, no hair touching the ears, no hair touching the collar, and the sides and back of the head must be 'tapered' [not blocked].

Beards can not have any individual hair longer than 3/4 inch, the bulk of the beard must lay within 1/2 inch from the face, and the growth of hair must be continuous [if there is a mustache and a beard they must connect, there can not be any dis-connected growths of hair anywhere on a sailors face]

I volunteered as a barber on subs when I was not on shift.

About 50% of my career I wore a full beard. In 1985 beards were restricted to "at sea" only. At sea beards were still common as late as 2000.

By the time when I retired in 2001, most guys were wearing the marine-looking buzz cuts. It was largely about Evals. If you could be marked down for sloppy appearance, and that could keep you from advancing, then by having a buzz-cut you look less sloppy and have one less worry. Also you can then lose the comb. Both showering and dressing becomes faster.

I still buzz-cut my head, I use a #2 clipper. It is fast, it only needs to be done once a month, I do not have to pay a barber, and it is convenient.

The last time i was underway on a submarine was in 2006, and underway beards are still popular, but with only three conditions - A) you had your fish, B) you owned a no-shave chit (small ships fundraiser), and C) it did not interfere with the sealing capacity of the EAB.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I'm a soldier and I concur with all of the above comments. It's about convenience, pride, military culture, etc. Still, I wear my hair fairly long by Army standards -- there are a few of us "hippies" out there. I'd say I have almost a full inch on top!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,054 times
Many of my Army & Navy friends say it is just easier to keep it short, and like others have said a lot of the guys do it because there are those of us females that find the military cut to be sexy!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Uniformity and an act of submission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues