Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
MICoastieMom thanks for your output.
Just so you know I did not start this just for Memorial Day I started it so that it would be there all the time so that people may give their thanks to every vet any day of the week.

We are a free country because of all vets no matter what branch dead or alive. For someone to give up the life they knew to give to the military and our country is an incredibly unselfish act. Not just one day a year but every day.
Then you and I are in total agreement. Sadly, and this is just me waxing on philosophically, way too many do not even know what Decoration Day or V-J Day are. My point was that by lumping everyone together instead of honoring all those who went before it is easy to forget that without their sacrifice there might not be a country to sacrifice for today. Not all of the conflicts were about the same thing. If those ideals were important enough to go to war for, then shouldn't they also be important to have a day for their own? How do we teach our young people to appreciate those freedoms if we only pay them lip service in histroy class? I think our patriotism should be displayed many days in their honor and not just on three or four days annually. Your idea to thank a vet every day is a great one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
VJ Day is very special to me as I was given the first name of a famous General when I was born on VJ Day ----August 14,1945 --( I already had the last name)

My dad told about the chaos as he drove my mom to the hospital at 10:00 at night and people were honking horns, crying with joy, and celebrating in the streets that WWII was over.

( I'd like to claim they were celebrating my upcoming birth

Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
It also is the time when families decorate the graves of their loved ones ( military and non military)

Yesterday, the wife and I , visited 4 graveyards to place flowers on graves of ancestors, relatives, and friends.

Every vet had a flag flying by their grave and it was interesting to look them over, pay repects, and read the US issued footstone.

Many were people I knew when I was young--------farm neighbors, storekeepers, machinery dealers------and I never even knew they were in the service til I saw the flag and read their military footstone.

They were special !

Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM

164 posts, read 490,342 times
MEMORIAL DAY

In 1776 the United States of America was born
Long ago on that bright July fourth morn
The Revolutionary War was being fought
It was freedom and liberty of forefathers sought

Many lives were lost in that great fight
Liberty was won and America became a light
That drew others to freedom on her shore
They came from England, Ireland, France and more

The civil war tore asunder our bountiful land
Brother fought brother, often hand to hand
Finally this war ended and our nation began to heal
The rifles, cannon and artillery were quiet and still

In the Indian wars and the Spanish-American conflict
Many were killed, some by a gun some by a stick
World War I and World War II came to pass
Millions were killed, some in mass

Korea and Vietnam saw our nation at war again
When will all the conflicts and wars end
Desert Storm put our troops to the test
Victory was won and proved our troops were the best

Today the War on Terror is still going strong
Please pray for our troops all the day long
Many of our troops lie silent in the grave
They gave all for America, the home of the brave

I would like to thank the many women and men
Who gave their lives for our freedom, can I get an amen
We can worship the Lord in the good old US of A
I salute all our fallen heroes on this Memorial day

Copyright 2005 Irvin L. Rozier, Chaplain, American Legion Post 181 ak awalkin2e

Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,295,811 times
Thank you to all our Vets and their Families. We honor you! Each of us has the rights and freedom we have because of you!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Default Honor

Simply put..........to honor.is to REMEMBER

Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times
Thank you to all of the Veterans who have fought for liberty and freedom. Thank you to their families. My father was a WW2 Vet, fought in North Africa in the army.

It is a special person who defends our principals and goals here.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,285,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
MICoastieMom thanks for your output.
Just so you know I did not start this just for Memorial Day I started it so that it would be there all the time so that people may give their thanks to every vet any day of the week.

We are a free country because of all vets no matter what branch dead or alive. For someone to give up the life they knew to give to the military and our country is an incredibly unselfish act. Not just one day a year but every day.
Thank you for starting this thread!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,422,962 times
Thanks, I'm an Army veteran... A big Thanks to our country's Brave active, KIA, retirees , veterans and to their family's..

http://infosecurity.us/images/Arlington_Bugler.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,725 times
I extend my gratitude to all veterans who died while serving our country and all those who fought bravely, returned home and hopefully fulfilled their American Dream before passing on.

Rest in peace to my father Jack who served in the US Army Air Corps in WWII and passed away in 2001, my Uncle Fred who served in the US Navy in the Pacific during WWII but passed away too soon in 1980 and a good neighbor we had, James Pittman, who served in the US Army in WWI and passed away in 1975. All good men who loved and served our country proudly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues