Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM

732 posts, read 4,156,798 times

Advertisements

My recruiter for the AF Reserves says the earliest I can get shipped to basic is in October because he says that it is based off of when the Training Schools are and he doesnt get that schedule until October. I think its BS, is this true or should I call him and tell him I'm gonna join the Army Guard so I can get shipped quicker? Maybe he'll change his mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
It might be true, October is when the new fiscal year starts. The military runs off a fiscal year budget and not a calendar year budget.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Fnix, he's playing it straight with you. Recruiters aren't allowed to ship you until a slot for you is available at your tech school. Otherwise, you'd finish basic training and have to do "halls & walls" or some other kind of menial labor around base until a slot opened for you. Good luck! BTW, you'll STILL do your fair share of "halls & walls" until you get some more stripes on your arm, anyway...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
It's true...The AF is desperate for Military training instructors (MTIs) since basic got longer...Even in the mid 2000s, please had to wait over six months...As far as tech school, as a reservist, if you do the split option which is common, you go home after basic and attend tech school at a later date. BMT is the hold up, not tech school. There is a quick ship program...From what I know is that you go to MEPs and sit and wait until someone who was suppose leave to basic either doesn't show up that day or someone gets disqualified that day. You then take their slot for basic vs no one being there. As a reservist, I'm unsure if you can particate in the at all; I believe this may be the case since the recruiter failed to mentioned it. If you're in a hurry you could try that route and go active duty.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Navy point of view, their right. It's like the domino effect.
Have you thought about the Navy reserves?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
And please do yourself a favor - if you had the choice between the AF or Army Guard/Reserves join the AF. It's a completely different world.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
It's true...The AF is desperate for Military training instructors (MTIs) since basic got longer...Even in the mid 2000s, please had to wait over six months...As far as tech school, as a reservist, if you do the split option which is common, you go home after basic and attend tech school at a later date. BMT is the hold up, not tech school. There is a quick ship program...From what I know is that you go to MEPs and sit and wait until someone who was suppose leave to basic either doesn't show up that day or someone gets disqualified that day. You then take their slot for basic vs no one being there. As a reservist, I'm unsure if you can particate in the at all; I believe this may be the case since the recruiter failed to mentioned it. If you're in a hurry you could try that route and go active duty.
Thanks for the update, JagMan! Things sure have changed since I left active duty! Getting NCOs to become MTIs was difficult even when I was in back in the mid-1990s...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
My recruiter for the AF Reserves says the earliest I can get shipped to basic is in October because he says that it is based off of when the Training Schools are and he doesnt get that schedule until October. I think its BS, is this true or should I call him and tell him I'm gonna join the Army Guard so I can get shipped quicker? Maybe he'll change his mind.
As a Coast Guard recruiter myself, if you told me that I would suggest you do go ahead and join the Army. All recruiters aren't liers. In fact, I'd suspect most recruiters of all services are quite honest. Once their slots for the year are full, they are full. The new budget and recruiting numbers don't come around until October-ish.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
The funny thing is if he swore into the AF today, I'd be surprised if he actually before spring 2010...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues