Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think women should be able to join the Infantry?
Yes 26 49.06%
No 23 43.40%
Other (explain) 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
I would prefer to be deployed with whomever was the best available. Quality is the key not gender, the percentage of women in the unit, infantry or not, is irrelevant. If the units were 100% women and they were well trained and able then fine.

Much better than to be alongside a unit that was 100% men and not as good wouldn't you agree?
No I wouldn't agree because that's not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
No I wouldn't agree because that's not reality.
... and that's rubbish.

I can assure you that I have served with enough female infantryman that would, in total, comfortably make up a very good section (platoon in the US). I have also served with more than enough men to make up an, at best, very average one.

The reality is that your biased and have an aversion to looking at this issue logically. To say that no group of women can be better than a comparable group of men in a specific role is.....

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 10-01-2014 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: ... clarity.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
... and that's rubbish.

I can assure you that I have served with enough female infantryman that would, in total, comfortably make up a very good section (platoon in the US). I have also served with more than enough men to make up an, at best, very average one.

The reality is that your biased and have an aversion to looking at this issue logically. To say that no group of women can be better than a comparable group of men in a specific role is.....
Anomalies are not the norm. An all female infantry will usually not be better than an all male infantry. I think the problem you have is that you think men and women are equal in every single thing. Of course that is not the truth. Men are psychically stronger and have more endurance. Continue to ignore biology and believe in fantasy.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 AM

107 posts, read 157,322 times
Not only should they have the right to join but since they have the other rights that men enjoy they should have to sign up for the draft however the Supreme Court disagrees with my opinion.
At any rate this is a very old thread and since it was started the Defense Secretary [SIZE=2]announced, on January 24, 2013, the end of the direct ground combat exclusion rule for female service members. This is ongoing. https://www.sss.gov/fswomen.htm[/SIZE]

Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM

291 posts, read 392,510 times
There should be non-negotiable physical qualifications for all military, emergency, and law enforcement jobs.

This will lead to severe gender imbalances but that's part of the nature of the work. Equal pay for equal work means equal work, not adjusted work.

As for women coping with people being injured, that makes me laugh. Like women don't deal with blood on a regular basis, or like there aren't women who get beaten (like men) every week by a partner. This doesn't make them fit for combat, of course, because what I want to know is what someone can carry and hit, not what she can take. I can take a hit like nobody else but if I can't pass the fitness test I can't pass it, and I shouldn't be out there.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
An all female infantry will usually not be better than an all male infantry. I think the problem you have is that you think men and women are equal in every single thing. Of course that is not the truth. Men are psychically stronger and have more endurance. Continue to ignore biology and believe in fantasy.
Being a female 29yr vet, I'd like to weigh in on this comment with my opinion. First, FACT: women who live together gradually become synchronized with their monthly cycle. FACT: PMS has been admitted in court as justification for murder.

I say an all female infantry will be every bit as good as any male infantry. There are women who are stronger and can carry the machine gun but infantry isn't all about brute strength. Tactics and marksmanship I'd say are two major components that women have every chance of beating a man at. (bet I can beat most of you at chess and marksmanship) I think women could be merciless. I've seen women in the Marine Corps throw men off the all women's barracks landing.

As for endurance, there are plenty of female marathoners. Not saying that's the norm but the women who are suited for it could certainly kick most of our tailfeathers.

btw, I knew a female Marine who was a reservist. Her unit was in WV. She was never treated any different than the guys and she learned to train harder just to keep up. I was in awe of her abilities but I don't know how long she could go at a man's pace. I think a unit of women could develop a pace probably a bit slower than the men's pace but they could go strong and steady every bit as long a distance.

Again, as someone said, we'll probably never know. I was on an all women's honor guard for funerals.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
gang rape is played down in cases where women have been taken prisoner in the mideast.
they gag the woman from talking to the press about it if she makes it back alive.
but it is a real concern.
women want to move on up in the military and see infantry as the way to go.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Being an actual infantryman and not just a soldier isn't about what weapons you carry. Can you also march across Port Stanley carrying your share of the squad equipment then drop that 60 lbs and take the hill.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:35 PM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
Quote:
Anomalies are not the norm. An all female infantry will usually not be better than an all male infantry. I think the problem you have is that you think men and women are equal in every single thing. Of course that is not the truth. Men are psychically stronger and have more endurance. Continue to ignore biology and believe in fantasy.
Fantasy?

No, I believe in what I've experienced and what I know. I have never operated with an infantry unit that had a women in it where the woman was the weakest link.

Oh... I'm not ignoring biology by the way, I'm aware that there are physical differences between the sexes, it is, after all, how we reproduce. That however is by the by, what matters is that any human being that can pass the training is up to the job, else they wouldn't pass the training whether male or female.

That, after all, is what the training is there for, to eliminate those that can't and to leave those that can.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
gang rape is played down in cases where women have been taken prisoner in the mideast.
they gag the woman from talking to the press about it if she makes it back alive.
but it is a real concern.
women want to move on up in the military and see infantry as the way to go.
Taken prisoner? More common to be sexually assaulted by their own fellow soldiers or contractors. And not just women are victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues