Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM

18 posts, read 50,635 times

Advertisements

Besides the fact that you joined it of course.

Just wondered what people thought about what made their particular branch special or interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I'm the Son of a Sailor and chose the USAF because, among other reasons, I hated my dad's long cruises. I was in aircraft maintenance in the USAF and loved it. But I've gotta be honest; being a part of carrier ops on Phantoms, Tomcats, or even A-7s Corsairs would've been AWESOME! (Army Blackhawks would be a close second...)

I guess I kinda missed the OP's original intent; For me, the USAF's aircraft were the main attraction. (Which is strange, because I enlisted thinking I'd like some cushy office job. looking back, I'm glad I ended up on the flight line.)

Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
I joined the Coast Guard Reserve in 1964 and served until 1970. I like the Coast Guard because it is the smallest of the services and that is a big plus to me. I got to go on a trip to Honolulu and Van Couver, BC. Two weeks in Corpus Christi, Galveston and Yorktown, VA were my summer camps. Great times.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Army. Besides the fact that it was the branch I served in, it is the one indispensable branch of the military. But I admire all the branches, each for different reasons.

USAF - No one does airpower as good as the US does. If you were putting together an all time all star team of the best branches from any country or time period I can think of other navy's or army's I might pick before ours, but the USAF is the hands down winner of their group. And the second place finisher is waaaayy back.

USMC - Got to respect the Esprit de Corps and Elan. Best uniforms too.

USN - Tradition of taking "a fast ship in harm's way" is very cool. Also respect them for something I probably could'nt handle personally - all the time at sea & seperation from family. I respect folks who sign up for that duty, it takes a real desire to serve.

USCG - They go out to sea when its so rough even the Navy won't and usually it's to rescue others. Big hearts & big balls all in one.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Coast Guard...even though they aren't a military branch of service, I respect their mission as such. Coast Guard was my first choice of service before I enlisted in the air force but the waiting list was too long at the time and I wanted to depart sooner. I had already spent a week on an aircraft carrier thanks to my cousin who was in the navy and got me on a tiger cruise. I realized that long six month tours out to sea would not be for me. But the CG really appealed to me, part of me still wishes I would have served in the CG.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
United States Navy. Reason being that my service for the last 23 years has provided a decent life for my family even though it's required time apart and sacrifice.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Coast Guard...even though they aren't a military branch of service, I respect their mission as such. Coast Guard was my first choice of service before I enlisted in the air force but the waiting list was too long at the time and I wanted to depart sooner. I had already spent a week on an aircraft carrier thanks to my cousin who was in the navy and got me on a tiger cruise. I realized that long six month tours out to sea would not be for me. But the CG really appealed to me, part of me still wishes I would have served in the CG.
Sorry, beg to differ. When a real war is declared, the CG becomes part of the Navy. In WW2, it was the CG that took the landing crafts onto the beach of Normandy. The CG took high causalties for that service. In Viet Nam the CG was running small boats on the rivers.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

45 posts, read 198,663 times
The Coast Guard is one of the 5 Branches of the Military. I am Active Duty in the US Coast Guard and love it. BTW the Coast Guard is the oldest continuously serving branch of the military.
Here's a link showing the 5 branches of the military:Today's Military - Military Service Branches

History on the US Coast Guard:
History of the United States Coast Guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
I have only been in the Air Force, yet I've worked with the other branches; except for the USCG...

In my opinions...

Air Force: Best quality of life, never do I feel "enlistment remorse"...
Navy: Tends to pay more than the other services, very high odds that you get to see the world, high odds of getting stuck on a ship...
Marines: For me, I'd be proud to be Marine, however I really don't want to live their life. Too military for me.
Army: I think if I enlisted I'd have the most enlistment remorse...You do a lot of hardcore military things like the marines, but are not a marine.
USCG: Again, I really don't know about them, this was my 2nd enlistment choice, but the basic was about twice as long as the air force...

Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,008 times
Definitely the Navy. The Navy is more versatile than than the other services, which make the Navy unique. Plus they the have some of the best technical training among the services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues