Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

I did 3-years in Naples. It was pretty good.

We started by making a list of every place either of us wanted to tour. Paris, ski the Alps and the Matterhorn, Rome, Ancient Greece, Israel, Egypt, Sicily ... Every quarter you can use a week of leave and MWR to book travel for cheap. So you can get to see a lot of Europe, Middle East and North Africa.

My wife ended up driving to Paris a few times. We took a car trip [using ferries] to Greece. We made dozens to road trips to Rome, Venice, Florence.

Vinci is a great little village. 1000AD architecture, two museums about Leo, plus the home where he grew up. [Leonard from Vinci, or as is most commonly spelled in English "Leonardo Di' Vinci"]

We had friends who were at La Modd, they hated it. I have never been there. But apparently it is isolated, all daily traffic on/off-site depends on a ferry. Small NATO community, and it is a poor location to start road trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 65,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photochk View Post
We are considering orders to Naples. How hard is it to get housing on base? It is only the 2 of us and our cats, we don't have kids.
I was in Naples from 2005 to 2008 and my question to you would be:

If you have no kids why would you want to live on base? I used to live on the base and it got old very fast. So I moved out and lived out in the economy. I am moving back to Naples (As a civilian contractor this time) in 2 months and I already have my home picked out. My wife is from Naples and we did a search for homes at some of the Italian websites.

Live out in the economy, don't listen to the Americans living on base because they are all miserable and want to leave Italy even though they haven't seen a lick of it. If you want to be near Americans there are nice areas far away from base that has a small community of Americans, but will still give you the Italian experience. Pozzuoli is a great place to do a search for homes and you can ask the agents that work for the SS. The homes there are near a lot of well known restaurants that serves amazing food. If you like to go out to the club there are like 3 or 4 in that area that is very nice. Even the American Park (Carney Park) is in Pozzuoli and offers a golf course, Paintball field, Swimming Pool, and Cabins if you want to stay over a weekend and camp out.

If you get a place on base you will make friends with other Americans but you will get caught in the trap of doing barbecues at someones house and you will put off seeing Italy, because every one on the base has nothing but horror stories about Naples.

In three years I drove around Italy three times and saw so much and that is the reason I am moving back. This time I am doing it better and moving to a place with an ocean view from my house and a terrace. If you end up having kids Italy is the best place for having little "bambinos" because Italians just love kids and I mean that in a good way.

A colleague of mine used to live in Pozzuoli on the second floor and the first floor lived the landlords. The landlords used to make their own wine and always kept my friends fridge stocked with a liter or two of freshly made red wine.

Need some more advice let me know.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiprincess18 View Post
I currently live in Naples Italy on base and I have a two month old daughter and I would not live off base with her. Living off base you have a lot of things to worry about. I find that the base is nice, clean, quiet, and the biggie for me is safety for my family. Best of luck with you new move.
If you want to talk convenience than the SS is a good place to live since you have the CDC and schools there.

If you want to talk safety then Naples is not a bad place to live if you choose the right place. I think this rule applies anywhere in the world. You don't have problems of pedophilia in Italy like you do in the United States and I would have to say that having a baby in Italy will probably mean getting swarmed by alot of Italians who want to see the baby and tell you "Che Bel Bimbo" (What a beautiful baby)

"you have a lot of things to worry about" is really not helping anyone on here who is considering moving on base or off base. Maybe you would like to be more specific. My advice to anyone on here considering moving to Italy is that if you want to be sick and tired of Naples go ahead and move on base. If you want to see Naples for the beauty it is you will be rewarded with great memories of beautiful places with beautiful panoramic views and amazing eating. Yes there is petty theft in Naples, Yes there is the Mafia, but they don't mess with Americans.

My advice to anyone moving off post would be to buy a used car and keep your brand new car back in the states because it will get bumped, scratched and broken in to unless you get a home with a gate or garage. Don't bring any valuables like family airlooms because even though I said Naples is safe they do like to break into people's homes, but they are not ooking to harm you only steal your valuables.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 60,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meacarrie View Post
We lived there for three years and...

CRIME - We never got robbed or broken into - we were careful and locked our car and house ALL the time - no problems. Be aware - like in ANY city, Italy or US.

PEOPLE - We loved the people and they were very good to us!

TRAVEL - Don't be afraid to venture out and explore! Try new foods, try to communicate with the local people!

BASE - You have everything you would find on a US base.

GO FOR IT!
Where did you live while you were in Naples? We're headed there in 6 months for three years.
Thank you,
Tim 619-726-5720

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Italia View Post
Where did you live while you were in Naples? We're headed there in 6 months for three years.
Thank you,
Tim 619-726-5720

I just moved in two weeks ago and I am so happy with where I live. If you plan ahead of time you can find a great place to live. If you are in a rush you will probably end up living near the support site or a less than desirable place to live.

Here is the view from my home in Bacoli
I start work at 7am so I miss the heavy traffic and miss the traffic on the way back because I get out at 4pm

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/534941_3566528254536_1612811042_2780155_1004626380 _n.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 60,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armysoldier74b View Post
I just moved in two weeks ago and I am so happy with where I live. If you plan ahead of time you can find a great place to live. If you are in a rush you will probably end up living near the support site or a less than desirable place to live.

Here is the view from my home in Bacoli
I start work at 7am so I miss the heavy traffic and miss the traffic on the way back because I get out at 4pm
I can't see any attached picture.
What do you mean by plan ahead of time?
Did you use an agent to find your home? If so, can you recommend the agent?
Thank you again,
Tim

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 21,251 times
Hello

Us Navy Nato Military Family

i live in naples italy since long time and i know of a villa perfect for a family of 4 or single people. it is located in lago patria 20 min drive from us navy support site in gricignano 5 min drive from stike force south JFC new base 20 min away from capodichino airport . The villa is in a small parco has excellent alarm system and nice yard. I have more pictures and information i can email to you if you like, my email adress is gil_simi@yahoo.com

good luck
simona
Attached Thumbnails
Any American Military Living or Moving to Naples, Italy?-b.jpg   Any American Military Living or Moving to Naples, Italy?-c.jpg   Any American Military Living or Moving to Naples, Italy?-l2.jpg   Any American Military Living or Moving to Naples, Italy?-l19.jpg   Any American Military Living or Moving to Naples, Italy?-l18living3.jpg  

Last edited by simona2012; 05-31-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
If you're going to or are already there then I suggest a visit to a little known Italian city called Gaeta, located north of Naples roughly half way between Naples and Rome. It's home to the US Navy's 6th fleet flag ship and a Naval support facility so the locals are familiar with US Navy service members. I was stationed there from 1994 to 1996 on the USS LaSalle AGF-3. This city is much cleaner, safer, friendlier, and family friendly than Naples. The beach is very clean and located near some nice hotels. The small mountain has plenty of easy walking trails that pass ancient Roman buildings. The very top of the small mountain has the best preserved mosoleum of a Roman General. Nearby is a grotto commonly called "split mountain" in english. Local tradition holds that when Jesus died on the cross, the hand of god touched and split the mountain. There's a spot going down to the grotto that looks like a large hand print. The local restaurants are very nice. Up on another section of the mountain is a fort and prison. It has WW2 history involving the Nazis executing locals and holding Italians in their own prison. It's quiet, peaceful, relaxing, and if you go during the right time you'll see the mountain awash in beautiful colorful wild flowers worthy of some great photos. Shopping at via Independzia, a small road nick named piccolo alley, is very nice with small family owned shops and restaurants. It'll make for a nice weekend get-a-way for the family.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 20,837 times
Im looking to move to Naples, Italy. I have been researching on what steps to take and the best way to go about the relocation. The appartments and places to stay have limits from what it looks like on how long you can stay in the appartment. How do they go about renting places to stay?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 20,894 times
My husband and I will be transferred to Gaeta in Dec. where should we look for housing between Gaeta and Naples. We will have our dog with us as well. We have been in virginia beach for the last few years and have enjoyed it but are really looking forward to experiencing Europe to the fullest.
Thanks for any advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues