Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter2012 View Post
My husband and I will be transferred to Gaeta in Dec. where should we look for housing between Gaeta and Naples. We will have our dog with us as well. We have been in virginia beach for the last few years and have enjoyed it but are really looking forward to experiencing Europe to the fullest.
Thanks for any advice
Can't give recommendations since I lived on the ship. Your best bet is to get with the Onbudsman online for the most recent recommendations. Can tell you that you'll love Gaeta. Friendly people, great food, beautiful hiking trails on the small mountain, clean beaches, and easy distance from Rome and Naples. If you're being stationed on the ship, it's a long walk from the ship to the gate. When I was there in 1996, there was a bakery directly across the street from the ship. When we mustarded at 7am on the weather deck, we were tortured by the smell of homemade fresh baked breads. If we didn't have duty, some of us would get up early to get some breakfast pastries then go next door for some fantastic cappicinos. If you love fresh fish, there's plenty of fishermen who sell their catches at the fish market. Local restaurants are their biggest customers so in the evening, their fish dishes are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM

188 posts, read 938,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter2012 View Post
My husband and I will be transferred to Gaeta in Dec. where should we look for housing between Gaeta and Naples. We will have our dog with us as well. We have been in virginia beach for the last few years and have enjoyed it but are really looking forward to experiencing Europe to the fullest.
Thanks for any advice
It's been amost 5 years since I've been back in Gaeta, there was almost a zero American presence there, a very different place from the 80's and 90's, most everything associated with the American Military has relocated.. My information could be outdated a little but I highly doubt it.

Your best bet would be searching for 'Naval Support Activity Naples, Italy" or "Naples Panorama" and reading all of the information available or private messaging someone that currently lives there. Make sure you read the "Housing and Lodging" part on the NSA site. If you want to live with the locals and don't speak Italian I would highly recommend using the housing office, they do all the translating and are update on current Italian housing laws.

There's also a expatsinitaly forum you can search for and read, you can find general information about italy and other peoples experiences there.

Most of the ombudsman that I use to deal with usually does an outstanding job answering any questions that the new families have prior to their arrival. Also if you want the to read the Italian news in english the Corriere dell Sera in english is free online, they're out of Milano but it's in English.

Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM

88 posts, read 235,186 times
Lived in Latina, IT for 2 years (about 1.5 or 3 hours from Naples depending on your driving style).

When I'd go to visit friends in Naples, the vast majority of families seemed to live on base. Only the single E-4's and above lived off base and seemed to be concentrated in the Pozzuoli/Bacoli area. Very, very beautiful. A few commuted from Gaeta everyday while others lived in the Naples city proper. Depends on your OHA limit and whether you prefer the peace and quiet (what little exists in Naples) or the downtown life.

My advice would be to become good friends with your neighbors to have an extra set of eyes on your home. If you park outside, save yourself the hassle and leave your doors unlocked (versus a shattered window), and lastly do all of your shopping on the local economy. The food is much fresher and all organic. I've mistakenly bought things from the commisary on Gric only to get home 2 hours later and realize everything was spoiled days or weeks prior.

Lastly, congrats on being stationed in one of the most beautiful areas in the world! I miss it.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 38,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFiga:) View Post
The military is possibly moving us to Naples Italy. Can anyone tell me what it's like living on base housing? If it's safe to start a family there and all around experience? Thanks!
Hi, I am from Rome and I go often to Capri on holidays.

Naples is a very artistic and historical city, safe ( only if you go in the Rioni Spagnoli, Spaniards Streets, you can have problems ) and also good to live, even if I prefer Ischia or Capri where there are a lot of celebrities for holidays and the aristocracy still hangs around.

It is, as all the South of Italy, a place to understand.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 38,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
I was at AFSOUTH for 3 years.. What I liked most about Italy was you never know what castle awaits you over that next hill.

Read the Greek and Roman myths, get a good tour book. Enjoy the wine.

I am so moved by this. To know people still love to learn our classical history. Thanks and regards.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,306 times
i wish to thank the ladies and gentleman stationed in naples,it and all over the world for protecting my freedom and right to vote.all military forces are super.(i was in the navy but respect all services. again my prayers are with you all.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliaclaudiaromana View Post
I am so moved by this. To know people still love to learn our classical history. Thanks and regards.
i was stationed in naples 9/1967-12-1969.i have a question to ask?how far is scampia from afsouth?is there a group called the camorra's?never heard of them when i was in naples,have they ever bothered navy personel?camorra's?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armysoldier74b View Post
I was in Naples from 2005 to 2008 and my question to you would be:

If you have no kids why would you want to live on base? I used to live on the base and it got old very fast. So I moved out and lived out in the economy. I am moving back to Naples (As a civilian contractor this time) in 2 months and I already have my home picked out. My wife is from Naples and we did a search for homes at some of the Italian websites.

Live out in the economy, don't listen to the Americans living on base because they are all miserable and want to leave Italy even though they haven't seen a lick of it. If you want to be near Americans there are nice areas far away from base that has a small community of Americans, but will still give you the Italian experience. Pozzuoli is a great place to do a search for homes and you can ask the agents that work for the SS. The homes there are near a lot of well known restaurants that serves amazing food. If you like to go out to the club there are like 3 or 4 in that area that is very nice. Even the American Park (Carney Park) is in Pozzuoli and offers a golf course, Paintball field, Swimming Pool, and Cabins if you want to stay over a weekend and camp out.

If you get a place on base you will make friends with other Americans but you will get caught in the trap of doing barbecues at someones house and you will put off seeing Italy, because every one on the base has nothing but horror stories about Naples.

In three years I drove around Italy three times and saw so much and that is the reason I am moving back. This time I am doing it better and moving to a place with an ocean view from my house and a terrace. If you end up having kids Italy is the best place for having little "bambinos" because Italians just love kids and I mean that in a good way.

A colleague of mine used to live in Pozzuoli on the second floor and the first floor lived the landlords. The landlords used to make their own wine and always kept my friends fridge stocked with a liter or two of freshly made red wine.

Need some more advice let me know.
Great advice, living off-base and experiencing the culture is fantastic

Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,125 times
I never lived there but while in the Navy I visited Naples and many other places and this was 1970. I loved Naples even if only there a few days but many of my Navy shipmates have been stationed there in other areas.

As for crime, don't know now but almost every city has crime some place in town. when I was there it was young kid gangs sticking sailors or jumping you in back alleys.. so we traveled in groups and stayed out of back alleys..lol

I am 80 years old now and wished I had retired there or the Island of Malta or one of the Greek Islands. Palma was great also. and Spain. I have been around the world several times and of course have my favorites and not just the gals or bars,, I did see the country, as well. I spent lots of time in the Far east and loved Japan as well. But only Japan. Some of my ship mates loved Guam and Okinawa, but that's not my choice. Again if I was to get up and go today it would be Italy or Spain I am sure.I am retired Navy of 30 years so pretty much can go where I want as no wife or kids.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 10,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
My italian isnt so good but isnt the OP's name something dirty??lol

no... it means beautiful girl... bella figa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues