Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 12,635 times

Advertisements

I'm in the similar situation you are, my BF is getting stationed in Ramstein later this year. Although we have talked about getting married, we have recently learned that if we were to get married before he PCSes, his orders would most likely get taken away. We assumed our only other option would be to get married after hes already gone over there but im not quite sure the tricks of the trade when it comes to the air force. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. we want to be together in Germany, but just don't know how to go about it. IE Proxy marriages etc. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmichelle113 View Post
Although we have talked about getting married, we have recently learned that if we were to get married before he PCSes, his orders would most likely get taken away.
Oh really? They may 'get taken away' so they can re-issue new ones to show you as a dependent. "Most likely" can mean a lot in the military. There are a lot of issues which can affect his assignment.

If you really wish to get married because you really love each other, then do it, and struggle/enjoy the military lifestyle. It goes both ways.

I'm not sure everyone knows the whole story...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 12,635 times
well, we do want to get married at some point. We love eachother very much and its something that we want, its just more a matter of when we would be able to do it. He very much wants to go to Ramstein as assigned. and wants me to go with him. i do as well, but we are fearful that if we do get married beforehand that he will no longer be able to be sent there. His crew chief had a similar situation happen with his wife, and was unable to get stationed somewhere after he married. We just want to be in germany together, but are unsure the best way around the system to get me there. Getting married after he gets stationed seems safe, but we dont really know how we would go about doing that or how that would effect things.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafgf View Post
My boyfriend is in the USAF, just about to graduate tech school. His first "assignment" or whatever it is called (sorry still trying to learn the military language) is Ramstein Germany. Honestly I am really happy for him because that was his dream base, but a little freaked out too. Anyone have advise they can share on dealing with this?

Also I am trying to start saving to go visit him around Thanksgiving- anyone have advice of where to look for a travel package?
Things have changed a lot since I was at Ramstein in the mid-90s. I used to have to wait for an open pay phone outside the dorms, where I'd pay $1 or so a minute to call home. Now you've got Skype, Google Voice, Facetime, etc. Plus email! And I agree with the poster who recommended a good old-fasioned hand-written letter every now and then.

Your BF may be able to find a cheap pre-paid German cell phone with wi-fi from T-Mobile or Vodafone. The wi-fi would allow him to call you for free from any wi-fi hotspot (the dorms may even have wi-fi), plus he'd have a cell for making local calls or looking up info on the go.

The biggest challenge will probably be the time difference. He will be 6 to 9 hours ahead of you, which will make it hard to find a time for calls that works for both of you.

As far as planning a trip over there, the main thing will be the flight. You will want to fly into Frankfurt and have him pick you up there. You can check sites like Travelocity, Kayak or Hipmunk to get an idea of how much it would cost to fly there from where you are. For lodging, he may be able to get you a room on base, but you may have to settle for an off-base hotel.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 23,650 times
You can get the app VIBER on your smart phone and call worldwide for free if the other person has it, too.

I call my friends in Germany all the time, it sounds like they are just next door. Also you can send texts for free.

The app is free.

Whatsapp is also free, but no calling, just texting.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmichelle113 View Post
well, we do want to get married at some point. We love eachother very much and its something that we want, its just more a matter of when we would be able to do it. He very much wants to go to Ramstein as assigned. and wants me to go with him. i do as well, but we are fearful that if we do get married beforehand that he will no longer be able to be sent there. His crew chief had a similar situation happen with his wife, and was unable to get stationed somewhere after he married. We just want to be in germany together, but are unsure the best way around the system to get me there. Getting married after he gets stationed seems safe, but we dont really know how we would go about doing that or how that would effect things.
Let me just suggest that with 37 years with the Army and lots of years in life, the last thing you want to do is to 'get around the system'. It will spit you out every time.

If your heart is to be married then do so. He should be honest with the personnel people and just tell them you plan to get married.

But you don't want to go overseas as an unaccompanied spouse. It is too hard. So only go on orders.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Let me just suggest that with 37 years with the Army and lots of years in life, the last thing you want to do is to 'get around the system'. It will spit you out every time.

If your heart is to be married then do so. He should be honest with the personnel people and just tell them you plan to get married.

But you don't want to go overseas as an unaccompanied spouse. It is too hard. So only go on orders.

As another with almost 35 years I agree. Do what your heart desires. Get married and get that settled. Be prepared for time apart if he stays in for any length of time. Even if we are done with the wars. Accompanied tours are longer but you have the military resources to help. Unaccompanied tours are shorter and sometimes in areas that do not have resources for families. It was one of the reasons I got out of active duty. I was going to go to Germany for a three year tour with family or 18 months without. We decided that we didnt want either. Everyone needs to know that my dear wife had traveled thousands of miles with me from Korea and that would have been a huge hardship either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues