Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,296,562 times

Advertisements

Marines ban Twitter, Facebook, other sites - CNN.com

Looks like were taking some advice from Iran and Chinese governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM

4,372 posts, read 8,050,013 times
I think the title is too harsh. Ever hear the saying, "Loose lips sinks ships"?

I'm a contractor for a gov't agency and access to social networking sites are blocked by the firewall too. Those sites are rife with worms and other exploits. My last job even banned external mail providers like yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc because people kept downloading viruses.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,383,457 times
Default Really...?

Go to Quantico and tell them that in person.

Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM

86 posts, read 248,880 times
yeah i am a federal employee too...we cant even speak or talk about what we do at work, i cant even put my agency on the internet because security will find it within 1 working day. Its not uncommon, and being hypocritical im not really to sure about. But im pretty sure, the degrading of one of our toughest services...is pretty lame and hypocritical in itself. Just saying, ignorance is not a means of complaint.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM

130 posts, read 360,917 times
From the article: "
The Marines' ban will last a year. It was drawn up in response to a late July warning from U.S. Strategic Command, which told the rest of the military it was considering a Defense Department-wide ban on the Web 2.0 sites, due to network security concerns.
Scams, worms, and Trojans often spread unchecked throughout social media sites, passed along from one online friend to the next. "

I dont have a problem with it, either.

VRE: hyperbole, much?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM

660 posts, read 1,698,942 times
I think there's a difference between saying individual Marines are hypocrites and the branch of the armed forces "the Marines" are hypocrites. I hope we can all agree the OP is saying the latter...

I'm pretty critical of our military, but I'm not sure how they are being hypocritical here. I mean, as civilians we can do all sorts of things that people in the Marines cannot, like grow our hair long, be gay, etc, and I think the majority of the people in the military are ok with that (even if I'm not). This just adds a few more things to the list.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,160,007 times
Good for the Marines.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 21,057,345 times
This thread is more appropirate for the Military forum. I'm moving it there.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,650 times
Nothing stops marines from accessing FB from their home computer. The base computers are going to block it. I am surprised they don't already. I know I could not access yahoo email or any sort of message board (like CD) from the base library computers when we moved here 3 yrs ago due to the firewall.

I really do not see the problem with this, esp considering they are not paying Marines to twitter or update their FB status at work. If they can't make it a whole day without it, they can get an internet phone or take their laptop to the nearest coffee shop at lunch time.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,296,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post

I'm pretty critical of our military, but I'm not sure how they are being hypocritical here. I mean, as civilians we can do all sorts of things that people in the Marines cannot, like grow our hair long, be gay, etc, and I think the majority of the people in the military are ok with that (even if I'm not). This just adds a few more things to the list.
The Marines have libraries of software, Marines working in IT, plenty of civilian employees, and $X Million dollars contractors who work 24/7 protecting their interests in the IT Department. If someone is not doing their job in IT, then find someone to replace them. Some Marines are using facebook, twitter and other social networking sites as a release of stress , and a way to send love to their family.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we criticizing the Chinese and Iranian Governments of shutting down access to some websites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues