Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydch View Post
In May of this year ill be graduating from high school. I have always been 100% sure that attending college after graduation was what i was going to do but that all change. Lately i have been considering joining the Navy; i never thought i would but i guess I was wrong. I haven't talked to any recruiter since i am not sure if I should attend college first and then join the Navy or do it the other way around. Any suggestions?

A thing you might want to think about is to go to college and knock out the beginning prerequisites for a degree up to the 45 semester hour mark. Then join the Navy. It should only take a year to do this while going one summer in addition to spring and fall. This will allow you to enlist as a e-3 and earn about $600 more per month than an e-1.

Also what do you want to study and any type of career yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM

163 posts, read 669,518 times
Like everyone else is saying I would also recommend talking to a recruiter, they are best to help you, and for you its no pressure b./c your still in high school, and they cannot make you do anything you don't want to. I joined the Coast Guard right after high school, 9 years later I still love it, I have been attending school so I will easily have my degree before I get out, I have no desire myself to go Officer, but the opportunity is out there for you. So many options just gotta figure out which one best suits you.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
I did 25 years in the U.S. Navy retiring in 2001. I would recommend attending college first, but if that is not for you consider going into MSC before going into the Navy.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM

I had a lot of friends stationed in Italy, but I think Japan is a much better duty station.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM

The Navy was good for me and it is all what you make of it. You should also consider MSC which is basically the same thing, but much more money.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
A college education should be your number one goal.
Yeah, but college graduates still work at fast food joints or grocery stores because there's no work out there...

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Yeah, but college graduates still work at fast food joints or grocery stores because there's no work out there...
There is work out there, perhaps not enough for everyone, perhaps not enough for some peoples desire, but there is a lot of work out there.

People who hire other people generally look at their qualifications and their past experiences. Part of that is an education. Having a good education and showing that you are educated gives you a better chance.

Just because you have a college education does not mean everyone is going to bow down to you and give you a great job created just for you. You still have to work at it... So I agree with what Balad1 "A college education should be your number one goal".

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-12-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I pulled 20 in the Navy and have never really regretted it. It gave me job skills that were impossible to attain without which I would not have a job today that pays as well as this one does. I served as an ET, started on a carrier, and went to Midway Island for 2 years from there. Served at the Office of the Provost Marshal in the Philippines for 2 years after that, working on intrusion detection systems. After that I got out for a year and re-enlisted. Served with SBU-12 for 7 years, went to the CommSta at Capas in the Philippines for 2 years and went to a cruiser for 2 years, and wound up as an enlisted lab instructor at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey for my final tour.

Yep, a strange career. But the best time I had was with the boat unit. Best people to serve with.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Don't stress too much about it...just pick a good job...stay out of the Engine Room....I always wished I was in Intel vice communications...we got beat up a lot...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:48 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Don't stress too much about it...just pick a good job...stay out of the Engine Room....I always wished I was in Intel vice communications...we got beat up a lot...
Say What? MM for 6 years,mostly engine room,but some A Gang,never had to look for any other form of work in civvie land,current salary upper 5's or lower 6's,depends on how much OT I feel like working.
Most of my coworkers are ex-Navy,MM or BT.Those that aren't paid for their own education via one Maritime Academy or another.
I saved the money for more important things,like wine and women,priorities,priorities!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues