Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvisimo21 View Post
Any other thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for your service and God Bless!!
Talk to all the recruiters. Each service has a lot to offer...

Read everything on this site: Inspired to Serve - Today's Military Well, maybe not everything, but there is a lot to learn about the military...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
After each recruiter has spoken with you and tried to steer you in various directions. Come back and up date us to your thinking.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 17,353 times
Just got back from the recruiters and here is what I learned/like about each service. Only had time to talk to the Navy and Army. Air Force was closed even though they said they would be back at 9:30 when I went at 10:00. Anyway, back to the good stuff, I hope.

Navy-Pretty much just repeated what I had already learned from doing research on here and other sites. Put a lot of emphasis on where the countries that he had been, which was interesting. He explained in more detail the tuition assistance and about ranking up to Officer. This has always been the branch that I was leaning to so it was nice to hear it all from a recruiter. I took the practice ASVAB and scored a 73, which is decent I suppose. He told me that if I score that high on the actual one, intel and info is in my range.

Army-This guy made a really, really good pitch for the Army. He was very passionate about his service and made it seem like a really cool branch to join. He told me that Army was the biggest, baddest, and best service. Obviously he is biased, but he really believed it. He also said that it is the quickest branch to rank up in which intrigued me because I do want to someday make Officer rank. I am pretty sure he actually convinced my brother to join the Army over the Navy. It is a much more shoot em up, bang em up sort of thing. Which I am okay with but still cool to hear.

A lot of the information we got today was stuff I already knew about. I am still leaning towards the Navy over any of the other branches because I like the idea of being on a ship and traveling the world. Both want me to call them on Monday. A question that I have about the Army, for those who have had experience, what kind of Intel and Info jobs do they have?? Also, between the Navy and Army, and AF and Marines for that matter, which Intel and Info jobs would you recommend? I like the idea of being secretive, finding info on the enemy. A secret society, in a way of speaking. Which one mostly resembles that? Any info is very much appreciated.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
If you join the Navy try to get a ship out of Japan. It's an interesting country and worth a tour. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 AM

Japan would be a very interesting country to see indeed! I am going back to the Navy recruiter on Monday to tell him I am ready to join and let's get the process rolling!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
To give a little background info. I am 19 years old and currently in college. All my life I have been fascinated by the military, but was always discouraged from enlisting("you'll die out there!" was a common phrase I heard). Recently, a few things have happened in my life that have really put things into perspective for me. I want to be a part of something bigger than myself. After doing a LOT of research both on here(thanks for all the posts and info) and the internet, I have settled upon the Navy. I just have a few questions that still need to be answered, if you would....

1. I read on another post that if you have over I believe 48 college credit hours, you are an E-3 ranking to begin with. Is this true?

Yes...

2. From experience, would you recommend finishing up a bachelor's degree before enlisting? Unless you are an Officer, a bachelor's does not mean much as far as ranking, or is that inaccurate?

No, but as competitive as advancement is right now it you plan on making it a career then a bachelors degree will be needed.

3. Throughout high school and after, I have been an avid runner(varsity cross country and track), so should I focus on other types of training to prepare for basic? Any thoughts on that.

Boot physically will be easy for you.

4. Along with basic, is there any advice you can give me, and I'm sure others, who are contemplating going?

Attention to detail.

5. When I do get past basic, I want to have a job that involves Intelligence and Information or possibly SWCC. Any recommendations as far as picking my rate?

Here's a list of the intelligence rates "in the Navy we call jobs rates"

Navy Enlisted Rating (Job) Descriptions -- Cryptologic Community
Read the part about clearance if you have a history of drugs or police involvement you will be out of the running.

ET is another rating you might consider as they maintain all comms and work with the IT people. I was an ET.

If you want more info on specific jobs ask which ones and I'll tell you

6. I do one day want to become an Officer and know that there have been others who have studied and received their degree while serving. Is this a difficult task to accomplish?

Google the Limited Duty Officer program for the Navy and Seaman to Admiral. Going LDO is competitive but a good program.

7. When finished with Officer school, what is your ranking? Or does years of experience play into that? Meaning that if I finished up my bachelor's without enlisting then enlist, what rank would that be? In comparison to enlisting, finishing the degree, and then Officer school.

Ensign...They are advanced to O-3 based upon time in grade. Which means they advance after completing a certain amount of time. After that advancement requires you perform.

8. I know a lot of people say that they want to do Special Warfare when they start out, but I have always been one to work hard for what I want.(I have numerous records at my school and consistently placed high in state events for track.) Any advice as far as getting there?

Google Ironman... Based upon there research college swimmers, wrestlers, and people who do IronMan competitions have a much higher completion ratios of Buds.

9. I am going to visit a recruiter tomorrow, with a list of questions already made up, but can you think of any really important questions I should be asking?

Ask about current enlistment bonus.

Any other thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for your service and God Bless!!
Good luck..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Just got back from the recruiters and here is what I learned/like about each service.

Army-This guy made a really, really good pitch for the Army. He was very passionate about his service and made it seem like a really cool branch to join. He told me that Army was the biggest, baddest, and best service. Obviously he is biased, but he really believed it. He also said that it is the quickest branch to rank up in which intrigued me because I do want to someday make Officer rank. I am pretty sure he actually convinced my brother to join the Army over the Navy.

A question that I have about the Army, for those who have had experience, what kind of Intel and Info jobs do they have??

Intel and Info jobs would you recommend? I like the idea of being secretive, finding info on the enemy. A secret society, in a way of speaking. Which one mostly resembles that? Any info is very much appreciated.
Thanks for reporting back. It show me you have some interest...

The Army is the biggest service... It generally is the quickest to "Rank up". Enlisted to Commissioned Officer is possible, but that is not the most common way, and there are some hoops to jump through, and some limitation. Enlisted to Warrant Officer is also possible. And I have also known some who went Enlisted to Warrant Officer to Commissioned Officer.

I served in the Army 22 years, 18 which was in the Intel field. Here is a list and description of the Enlisted Jobs (MOS's): US Army Info Site: Military Intelligence: Enlisted MOS List

"finding info on the enemy. A secret society, in a way of speaking". Do you fluently speak another language?

There are a lot of opportunities in the Army and other services... I met a lot in the Army who were in other services mostly Marines to Army, then Air Force to Army, and just a few Navy to Army... And one good friend who managed Air Force, then Marine, then Army.

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM

Thank you for your info bellhead. Do you know anything on the IS jobs? Also, if I were to serve three years, not as an Officer while getting my degree, then went to OCS, would those three prior years mean anything as far as ranking up to O3? And do you know if SWCC training is any different from SEAL training? Thanks again!

And if you have any info on an MOS in the Navy that relates to counter-intelligence I would really love to hear about it! Or any MOS that would be the best transition to working with the FBI, CIA, etc. after serving. I have no history of drugs or police involvement(never even been pulled over), so IS or cryptology seems like my best bet!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Poncho NM, what would be the quickest or most common way to make Commissioned Officer in the Army? Would getting a 4 year degree help with that?

I looked at that site and an MOS that really interested me was counter-intelligence! Did you know anyone who was in that field? I feel like that would be my best choice if I were to join the Army(which I am still considering) since after I would REALLY like to go into the FBI, CIA, etc. after my service. And what was your MOS, if you don't mind?

I have taken about 6 years of spanish, and would say I am proficient at it, but not fluent by any means. But don't they train you to learn a language if you qualify for a job that needs it? I feel like I would catch up on it and learn more pretty easily.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Poncho NM, what would be the quickest or most common way to make Commissioned Officer in the Army? Would getting a 4 year degree help with that?
Getting a 4-year degree is required for that, and the easiest method to do it is to do ROTC while a full-time student. Veterans qualify to enter ROTC as a college Junior, but it's not an entitlement to do ROTC: you need a high GPA, a good PTA, and no serious disqualifiers to be accepted.

There are usually more applicants than there are spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues