Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvisimo21 View Post
Poncho NM, what would be the quickest or most common way to make Commissioned Officer in the Army? Would getting a 4 year degree help with that?
The quickest, if you have a 4 year degree would be OCS. OCS is 12 weeks of intense classroom and field training at Fort Benning, GA. To attend Officer Candidate School, you must be a U.S. citizen and a college graduate, be at least 18 years of age at the time of regular Army enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 30th birthday. You can read more here: Officer Candidate School | GoArmy.com

One thin you need to understand, Commissioned Officers are managers... They usually do not have an absolute choice in their career field as the Enlisted people do.

Quote:
I looked at that site and an MOS that really interested me was counter-intelligence! Did you know anyone who was in that field?
I was assigned to various duties in the US Intelligence field for about 18 years. I held Two MP MOS's and four Intelligence MOS's. I also had a few other MOS's in Air Defense Artillery, Electronic Repair and even a 71L (Clerk Typist). I retired from the Army with my last MOS being 351B.

Quote:
I have taken about 6 years of spanish, and would say I am proficient at it, but not fluent by any means. But don't they train you to learn a language if you qualify for a job that needs it? I feel like I would catch up on it and learn more pretty easily.
I was assigned as a Linguist a few times. English is not my native language. All the Service's use the same Language school. DLIFLC.edu - Language Schools

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Seems you have the running part down. Look up the Navy's fitness test requirements for your gender and age then see if you can easily do the push-ups and sit-ups for your age. If you want to be an officer, talk to your recruiter about their officer program. As I understand it, if you commit and serve 6 years active duty, your tuition is paid off. If you resign or are kicked out before then, you'll owe the military the tuition based upon the amount of time you served. As a junior officer, unless you have a very specific career degree, you could be sent from one division to another. I worked in the engine room and most of engineering department's officers had an engineering degree of some type. Officers get certain privileges that enlisted sailors don't get, but that comes with a higher level of personal responsibility and risk of losing your job should you make a mistake. An officer on the bridge making a mistake could result in the ship running aground or hitting another ship. As an enlisted sailor, you can pick your job rating. As a low ranking enlisted, you can learn about other job ratings during your off time. If you find one you like, you can spend your off time studying their rating manual, work with them hands on, and complete the process to get into that rating. If you're good in science, physics, math, and some mechanical or electrical work you could go into the Navy's Nuclear Program. Though not an intelligence type rating, it is a classified field. Back in 1990 it was three separate schools. Graduating the first showed you were smart enough to be in the program. The second school was high paced and classified. It was designed to put students under great stress and weed out those who couldn't handle the stress. The third school was a real nuclear power plant and was a self paced course. This was designed to see if you were a self starter and could work responsibly with little to no supervision. You had to complete it by a certain time limit or you failed. There were three nuclear ratings; MM, ET, and EM. I couldn't make it through the second school so I became a non-nuclear MM. Oh, if you make it through the first school you're given your rating and E-4 rank.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 17,350 times
Thanks again for the great info Poncho NM. I really do appreciate it. I have not entirely decided between the Army or Navy but when I do start MEPS do I need to decide which one or can I start that process without formally deciding?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
not entirely decided between the Army or Navy but when I do start MEPS do I need to decide which one or can I start that process without formally deciding?
I'm not sure what you can start early. I believe the official ASVAB test is good for all branches.

Rich

Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,875 times
Hi,

Im searching fopr the truth there is a young lad on my course who claims to have been a high ranking officer in the US navy.

However he's only 21 and his apperance is not what I would expect of anyone who had been in the military.

This might sound crazy but his clothes aren't ironed and his shoes are scuffed.

Would you be able to tell me the age of the youngest serving officer in charge of nucleur weapons.

I just want to know the truth.

Many thanks

Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallach76 View Post
Hi,

Im searching fopr the truth there is a young lad on my course who claims to have been a high ranking officer in the US navy.

However he's only 21 and his apperance is not what I would expect of anyone who had been in the military.

Would you be able to tell me the age of the youngest serving officer in charge of nucleur weapons.

Many thanks
It may vary on how he earned his commission. You have to be 17 to enter the United States Naval Academy. And the program is generally four years, so they would be 21 at the minimum, and they would not be a high ranking officer, they would be the lowest...

"in charge of nuclear weapons" Not going to even discuss that other than to say there is a "chain of command". Everybody is in charge of something in the military. No one person in the military is "in charge of nuclear weapons"

But, this individual would not have been a high ranking Navy Officer at 21. When did this occur? How old is he now?

Rich

Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
If you start college at 18, while there join NROTC, get your B.S. at 22, and get a commission. By 22 1/2 a person could be stationed on a vessel that carries nuclear weapons. But he would only be an ensign [the lowest beginning officer].

Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Are you sure you understood him correctly? It seems more likely he achieved a high enlisted rank (for Navy, they're called petty officers) and worked on the ship's nuclear reactor. Joining at 18 he would be a petty officer third class after graduating Nuclear A school. For most nuclear engineers, earring rank is t that difficult so it is possible for him to have been an E-6 or petty officer first class by age 21.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 PM

His appearance doesn't mean anything. Not all former sailors are all spit and polish even while in the service. For many, it gets worse after leaving the service. You get burned out by all the inspections.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallach76 View Post
Hi,

Many thanks
At 21 he wouldn't be an officer, he may well have been a petty officer who worked on Nuclear Weapons... Almost any body on a sub would have been around them. Also all people who work on nuc weapons have to pass a prp clearance if I'm correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues