Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Also..Im trying to think here...after watching how many, many people have flown with our flight instructor here...Someone who no license cant just go in the military and become a pilot can they? Dont they have to go in with at least a private pilot's?
Absolutely not. If you get accepted for any flight school in the US Military, a pilots license is not required.

There may be a lot of other requirements. But a pilots license, is not needed.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
To be a pilot you need a 4 year degree and meet all the physical requirements. The one exception is the Army, you can fly a helicopter with a HS education.

Having your current aviation skills are handy but won't get you into the aviation field on their own. WARNING: Be aware that you DO NOT want to be a refueler in the military. As a whole they are not repected for the hard work that they do and it is not considered a very good job.

There is no 2 year enlistment, it is 3 years and up. I would think to get a choice of jobs you would need to enlist for 4 years and just maybe 3 years for certain career fields in the Army.

Considering you want to enlist for as few as years as possible and you want a guarantee of job of your choice I would say the Army is your best bet. If I was you I would look at job numbers (MOS) 15T (Blackhawk crew chief/mechanic) or 15U (Chinook crew chief/mechanic).

Be aware that in today economy there are more people trying to join the military then there are available positions so that will be working against you.

If you can put up with the BS at home for a few more years your best bet would probably be to go to college and get that degree.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
No, you don't need a civilian pilot's license, although as you see from the Army link it makes you more desireable.
All enlistments are 6 years, some just split it up differently between active and Reserve duty. Keep in mind why-to become a Naval Aviator (college degree needed) is a 2 to 3 year training process from OCS through first fleet deployment, so you're in for while to have the Navy get it's investment back.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, you don't need a civilian pilot's license, although as you see from the Army link it makes you more desireable.
All enlistments are 6 years, some just split it up differently between active and Reserve duty. Keep in mind why-to become a Naval Aviator (college degree needed) is a 2 to 3 year training process from OCS through first fleet deployment, so you're in for while to have the Navy get it's investment back.
Actually it's 8 years total commitment between active and inactive service (3x5, 4x4, 5x3, 6x2).

Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Actually it's 8 years total commitment between active and inactive service (3x5, 4x4, 5x3, 6x2).
I thought so but it's been almost 30 years since it was necessary for me to know.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Joining the Navy is a fine idea! I recommend it highly because it will serve to make you a better person, to give you a greater sense of self respect
and will surely help you to become a more responsible individual. I was 17 when I went into the Navy, it was in 1961 and at a time when the Vietnam
"crisis" was beginning to cook-up and an element of logic was formed within my mind that I would be better off in the long run to opt for a 4 year
Naval enlistment, rather than 2 years in the bloody trenches of Vietnam.

I was stationed aboard the U.S.S. Forrestal, CVA-59, one of the biggest aircraft carriers of the day. I loved everything about shipboard life, got to
spend much time cruising around the Mediterranean sea, learned a profession (Aviation Structural Mechanic) and thankfully, I survived my military
experience, whereas several of my high school buddies, sorrowfully, came back in body bags. Today's Navy is quite different, it's a modern defense
force with many more things to offer the inductee. I sincerely believe, that if you are seeking a vocation which can offer you a better opportunity
than you might find in what's been left of this rapidly changing world, the Navy would be prominent among your choices. As far as you being a woman,
I also believe that you can allay whatever fear or apprehension you may have about any relative issues which might serve to give you second thoughts.

And, I wish you success, no matter where your heart guides you.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
If you want to be a pilot then you are going to need to go to college one which has a Navy ROTC program, and then major in engineering. You want to graduate with a 3.0 or above this is very important as you are competing for a limited amount slots in Naval aviation. With the shrinking military and shrinking major airlines it has become harder and harder to get in as a pilot.

Now if you want to be on an aircrew where you fly for your job then there are jobs out there for this.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
True, but with the Navy having no problem meeting its recruiting goals, would the 5 years of a 3x5 even be a concern ?

The few guys I knew who enlisted never had to attend meetings or anything once their active duty was over and they got out.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Also, how long do you have to enlist for? I saw a couple type 6 years and I panic. Im not saying if I found my niche and really loved what I was doing i wouldnt sign to be there much much longer, but initially I would only realy want a 2-3 year commitment to start with.
Do they not have 3 year enlistments anymore???
I see some confusion.

All military personnel have an 8 year commitment. (It use to be 6 years). But that does not mean you have to serve active duty for the 8 years. You most likely will have that extra time in the inactive reserves.

How long you enlist for is a different issue, it can vary by the service and the job and/or schools and/or what enlistment options you sign up for.

Rich

Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
True, but with the Navy having no problem meeting its recruiting goals, would the 5 years of a 3x5 even be a concern ?

The few guys I knew who enlisted never had to attend meetings or anything once their active duty was over and they got out.
During a war it can be a concern. When my unit deployed to Iraq in 2006 it was supplimented with about 10 soldiers from the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). Needless to say they were whining like babies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues