Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Army screening NCOs to rid service of marginal leaders | Stars and Stripes
Army screening NCOs to rid service of marginal leaders

HEIDELBERG, Germany — The Army is reviewing personnel records of nearly 19,000 noncommissioned officers as it seeks to purge the senior enlisted ranks of underperforming, or even criminal, leaders.

The records are being checked for courts-martial, negative evaluations, failed leadership courses, removals for cause, reprimands and other disciplinary actions incurred since these sergeants made their current ranks. Among the reasons for records of reprimands and disciplinary actions are driving under the influence, sexual harassment charges, drug abuse and alcohol problems.

If such sergeants do not voluntarily retire, they will, for the most part, be discharged within six months.

It’s not just the NCOs who are in these positions that are the problem, but those who promoted them as well.
I’m all for cleaning house, and from what I see, it needs to be done, but I don’t trust the system that put these inept NCOs into place to police themselves.
It won't make any difference in the future of the government unless they discharge these guys with general discharges, rather than all honors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I’m all for cleaning house, and from what I see, it needs to be done, but I don’t trust the system that put these inept NCOs into place to police themselves.
Who would you have do it?

The “Qualitative Management Program” started in the early 70's. Not perfect, but nothing is, it should have never been stopped, but who would you have manage the program if you "don’t trust the system"?

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-08-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
How about they expand that search to include senior officers? The incompetence at the top of the tee pee is stunning, but those "rings" protect them.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Who would you have do it?

The “Qualitative Management Program” started in the early 70's. Not perfect, but nothing is, it should have never been stopped, but would would you have manage the program if "don’t trust the system"?

Rich
I understand, but if the ptb were the ones to keep these guys in place, or transfer them, what kind of leadership were they living?

The outcome will be interesting, if nothing else.

I do agree that you need to get rid of the incompetents at the top of the officer ranks as well, but by the time you're a COL, it's pretty political; by the time you're a GEN, it's completely political.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
If they aren't doing a full sweep then it's practical to start with NCOs since there are so many more of them than there are Officers.

What concerns me is that they're so gung ho about this right now - after many of these guys have done more than 1 rotation in Iraq, aren't likely to do more since those rotations are being scaled back, and mental health/behavior/discipline issues - as a result of multiple deployments - are cropping up in a high percentage of the troops.

I've honestly lost track of how many good NCOs I know or know of who came back from Iraq and only then did discipline, alcohol, and drug and other behavioral issues crop up for them. To me this sounds like the Army isn't going to be keeping track of them either. These people served their country and need help - not to be pushed out the back door.

IAVA is a good organization that details some of the system failures and is working to prevent the same "ignore" factor that our Viet Nam vets are still facing.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
"The QMP review applies to all retirement..." They want more solider on the ground and can do this within budget by forcing "senior" soliders to retire. This isn't any kind of act of "cleaning up the army". The "bad screening" is to limit the whining of who retires early...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
"Criminal"!? Just how "criminal" does the army tolerate?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
When you need people to come in and stay in, simple changes in even the most minor "zero-defect" policies will up your numbers. After a while, you have to go back and tighten it up.

Nothing to see here, unless you're a writer for Stars and Stripes.

It's still a meritocracy, so you need to shed the non-performers. If the units are too busy deploying, refitting, deploying for the CO to drop paperwork on a dude, then the HR folks take over, run a screen and start sending letters.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
"Criminal"!? Just how "criminal" does the army tolerate?
That's what Article 15's and Court Martials are for.

If you violate the Uniform Code of military Justice (UCMJ) you may have committed a "crime". If you are late for formation, you could receive what is called non-judicial punishment, which is usually a disciplinary infraction, rather than a crime.

It depends on a lot of factors. Currently, there are 14 offenses under the UCMJ which are punishable by death. One is murder, the other is rape. And it goes all the way down to lesser crimes....

Rich

Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM

The Army was accepting recruits without a HS diploma or GED and with criminal records.
There's gang activity in the Army; most of it petty, but some not so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues