Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 PM

591 posts, read 661,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
Just curious - I was stationed NAS North Island CA and going to San Diego on vacation in a few weeks...

I am not retired or in the reserves.. But I do have an honorably discharged DD214..

My husband is retired from the Navy. My brother in law asked us the same question. They were going to Ft. Sills in OK. They went to the gate, asked if they good look around, and were let in with a pass. Go for It. Ladybee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,494,447 times
Quote:
Just curious - I was stationed NAS North Island CA and going to San Diego on vacation in a few weeks...

I am not retired or in the reserves.. But I do have an honorably discharged DD214..

I'd also bring your DD-214. The main gate to Coronado is a little confusing. As you are approaching the base headed north...the main gate with the Pass and ID offices is the one on the RIGHT (the gate on the left has no pass and ID).

You should be able to get on...they do have a commissary and Exchange. I'll be out there the 10-16th...heck I'll sponsor you!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,658,947 times
You don't always have to have a sponsor to go on post. As long as you have an ID and the guards check your car, you should be fine.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM

90 posts, read 216,688 times
Interesting thread.

I wonder if a person who has 16 months of Inactive Ready Reserve status left could go up to the front gate with multiple I.D.s and their DD-214 in hand and get on base?

Back ground.

Served 6 years active duty.
honorable discharge
DD-214 in hand.
Never signed up with the VA. 0% disability. I know I could have, but did not want to.
Passport in hand
SS card in hand.
Drivers lin in hand.

My 8 year mark ends in April of 2015.

I'm interested in getting a Inactive Ready Reserve Card for the traveling I'm going to do this year.
It would be good to have access to bases to stay over night, space A-travel, go to the gym, shop, and vist with old shipmates and "shoremates" (green side Corpsman joke).

The day of my EAS, I asked the clerk about getting an I.D. right then and there, and they said to go to a reserve center.

I went to the reserve support center in town to get an I.D. made, and the wait is almost two months. Wow.
My trip starts next week. I'll be deployed for about 1.5 months.

Could I take my DD-214 with me on my trip and show it at the gate to get into bases?

Do you believe that there is a reserve center that could handle walk ins for the I.D. I'm looking for?

Lastly, could one laminate their DD-214?

The day of my EAS, I ask the clerk about getting an I.D. right then and there, and they said to go to a reserve center.

Thanks for reading.

Note: I posted this before in a previous thread, but this the best thread to ask my questions in. I'll go back and delete my old post.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,662,062 times
Quote:

Last time I was there, you almost needed approval from the White House to get past the guard. In other words, unless you have some sort of preapproved entrance, I wouldn't count on it.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Has anyone had any success with haveing their DD-214 being copied, shrunk down to wallet size, and laminated?

Thanks for reading.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 AM

30,164 posts, read 23,555,924 times
When I got out of active and had my 5 years inactive, I had a red card. To get on to any base, I would have to use that red card.

Now? I cannot go on to base and shop at the PX/Commissary because the red card is expired, and you still have to present some type of military ID at checkout.

Or is that not the same in all PX/Commissaries?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,724,201 times
If anyone who ever served in the US military is allowed to roam around military bases, we have learned nothing from the results of lax security prior to 9/11.

C'mon...............if a military base doesn't have very strict security, what does ?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,197,145 times
Quote:

Better hurry and visit. I was stationed at Ft. Chaffee,Ark. (closed), Ft Monmouth, NJ(closed), Ft. Ord, Calif(closed).

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
If anyone who ever served in the US military is allowed to roam around military bases, we have learned nothing from the results of lax security prior to 9/11.

C'mon...............if a military base doesn't have very strict security, what does ?

That's fair.

My last and final command was Bolboa, Park in San Diego (The Hospital). We had all kinds of dependents coming in there to take college courses and such. Furthermore, there were tons of retired men and women coming in. Espically on Sats and Sundays. Granted it was a Hosptial, so it was weak sauce on secruity to begin with.

However, I get your point. If everyone who did one enlistment or commison could have access that would create more vehicle and foot traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues