Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 AM
SFE SFE started this thread

2 posts, read 22,577 times

Advertisements

I have seen some ads for full time positions within the air national guard (Not the typical one weekend a month, two weeks a year), for example a technician position of which I have a 2 year degree in (But very little experience working). I am interested because there is an Air National Guard base near where I live and I would rather not move. If I meet the requirements for joining, how hard would it be to land a 40 hour a week position? is it doable or is it usually for people who have been in the ANG for a while? According to goang.com the base near where I live is hiring for that position (But there are also many other open positions).

I have over 90 college credit hours but no Bachelors Degree (I have two Associate Degrees). 26 year old. If that matters at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
They are hard to get, and I have never seen anyone who is not already in the system get one of the positions. If you enlist you still need to go to basic and AIT before you do anything.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They are hard to get, and I have never seen anyone who is not already in the system get one of the positions. If you enlist you still need to go to basic and AIT before you do anything.

Clarification: Already in the military. There are a number of technician and AGR positions filled every year by personnel in the active military separating directly to the Guard or Reserve. My boss is one of those, straight from Aviano AB to the Reserves. Many job announcements read as the following:

ILLINOIS NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Illinois National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Illinois National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Illinois National Guard in the military grade (E-5 or above) listed in this announcement.

In order to compete for the job above, one must be an E-5 (Army Sgt / USAF SSgt) or higher, meaning one has to have been in the military and possess the skills required.

NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.

Open Areas of Consideration: 1
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 = Enlisted members of the Louisiana National Guard.

This one requires the person be a current member of the LAANG. No "off the street" applicants will be accepted.

Prior to appointment into this position, selectee must be a current member of the Arizona Air National Guard and must possess for the following AFSC : 11U3A/12U3A/18A3A

This one requires specific skill sets (AFSC) and membership in the AZANG.

NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
This position is located at 125th FW, Jacksonville, FL

Finally, this one seems to allow anyone to apply, but the prudent commander or hiring official is going to take someone with either (1) experience inside the unit, i.e. someone they already know about, since in the Guard or Reserves you're stuck with someone indefinitely who isn't a good employee versus 2-3 years on station for active duty, or (2) someone with experience outside the unit and good references. Hiring someone with no experience and sending them to training represents a huge investment in time and money, with no guarantee of results in the end.

To the OP: It's not impossible, but the Reserve unit I now work for as a civilian does not hire someone into a spot full-time "off the street", at least not in the past several years, except for pilots (due to the training and certification requirements). There are many compatible applicants for each full-time job, and most are hired right from within the unit. However, some in-demand AFSC or MOS positions are filled from personnel separating from the military or by personnel with highly qualified backgrounds; IT for example. It doesn't hurt to apply, but make sure you are ready for not only the job, but the duty. There is a difference. One requires skills and one requires commitment.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 08-22-2016 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
First, you need to enlist and get some experience in your field. Full time positions are highly coveted. There are two ways to go full time...Technician, which means you are federal civil service. And AGR, which is Title 32 active duty. Whatever field you go into, your section will be mostly weekenders, with a smattering of technicians and AGR. As the full timers retire, part timers will apply for the position. Sometimes it can be decades before you get a full time positions, other times it can be a year or two, or even less. It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. But until you're part of the team, you will not get a full time position.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 PM
SFE SFE started this thread

2 posts, read 22,577 times
Thank you all for the feedback, I had no idea it was this hard to get into. I'd really like a full time position but the only base within a driving distance to me is an air national guard and a joint reserve base. Unfortunately, moving out of state or to another city is just too difficult for me at this time.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:13 PM

324 posts, read 387,247 times
You probably should get used to the idea of moving eventually, or at least expect to be spending some time on deployments, temporary duty assignments, or guard/reserve activation (in time of war or national emergency).

walessp

Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Just be aware that if you never deploy for more than 6 months you don't get your 5 points for civilian federal job preference. That's the only down side of guard is you don't actually count as a veteran unless you deploy (ie are federalized for more than 6 months during a war time deployment).

Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 AM

19 posts, read 39,253 times
The AGR program is a hidden gem in the military. Being AGR gives you much more control of what you do vs. active duty, you only move when you apply for a position somewhere and get hired! Once it's all over, you get the same retirement as active duty.

I was active duty for 7 years, AGR in 2 states and ended (retired) from a Title-10 Stat tour. Because of the AGR hiring process I was able to screen out units that deployed and manage my career how I wanted it to go. The AGR units I worked in had very few weekenders.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_Guy View Post
The AGR program is a hidden gem in the military. Being AGR gives you much more control of what you do vs. active duty, you only move when you apply for a position somewhere and get hired! Once it's all over, you get the same retirement as active duty.

I was active duty for 7 years, AGR in 2 states and ended (retired) from a Title-10 Stat tour. Because of the AGR hiring process I was able to screen out units that deployed and manage my career how I wanted it to go. The AGR units I worked in had very few weekenders.

Excuse me for not being impressed about how you avoided being deployed. When my unit was activated for Afghanistan I didn't try to come up with excuses for not being able to deploy. I raised my hand and took as many deployments as they needed me for, as did everyone else in the unit. The thought of shirking my duty never crossed my mind.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Excuse me for not being impressed about how you avoided being deployed. When my unit was activated for Afghanistan I didn't try to come up with excuses for not being able to deploy. I raised my hand and took as many deployments as they needed me for, as did everyone else in the unit. The thought of shirking my duty never crossed my mind.
I think you missed the point. You can choose occupations that are home front support, non-deploying. No shame in that. Someone's gotta do it.
I retired from the Air Guard, and was a technician. You do have to join the unit. My son pretty much got a job before he was in the unit. That's rare. Don't be afraid to take a lower rung position. Those on the lower rungs get moved up. But if you become part of the team and prove to be valuable, get all your requirements taken care of quickly, you'll get the attention of the people who count.
You can always ask your recruiter which areas have the oldest people. For retirement. Job opening city.

Being top of your class always gets attention, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues