Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times

Advertisements

I just applied for one because my BOP was denied. Wondering about anyone's experiences with this.... has anyone been approved or denied?
I talked to my career assistance advisor, and he said he has never heard of anyone actually applying for this option.

Just a reminder for those of you who may not remember... a Permissive PCS is the one where you receive no entitlements and foot the entire cost of the bill, and take leave instead of travel days or permissive house hunting. It is not so bad for me because I am applying for bases within 15 miles of where I am now... the advantage of being stationed in a military saturated town I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,860 times
Is this the same thing as those members within the same AFSC that trade each other's station when their time-in-station is up (over 2 years?) They don't get entitlements, they foot the entire bill and so on?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Kind of... except it's not a trade. It's just a move. Same rules as far as costs coming out of the member's pocket though.

Basically, my understanding is that if you will not leave a base undermanned, and you will not cause a base to be over 100% manned, you will be approved.

My BOP was denied because of manning... the three bases I requested were all, "At 100% manning, or at a higher manning than the Air Force Average" for my career field.

Trouble is, I can't get anyone to tell me if they are actually at 100%, or just higher than normal.

I *THINK* if they are just higher than normal, the Permissive PCS should be approved. However, if they are 100% it will be denied.

I'm wondering how long it will be until I get an answer on approval or denial... and how I will get an answer... email?

I can't do a swap, because I am outside of my career field right now... so I'm not in a slot that another person in my career can swing into.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Ah sorry dmarie, no idea on this one. Did you do it thru AFPC with the application or did you go through personnel for it? I know someone else that MIGHT be able to give you some answers or at least an idea. I"ll DM you.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 PM

I did it through the vMPF. Not a lot of info there. :-( Thanks for the DM

Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 PM

you're welcome, let me know how it goes

Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
Do you have a MAJCOM Career Field Manager (sorry if that is no longer the term) or POC you can speak to? They should be able to give you the staffing percents at the areas you are considering. My expereince with these is that one major goal is to keep things as balanced as possible. It helps to get the staffing info so you can be realistic about the places you desire to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues